Akira MacKenzie on June 09, 2006, 05:37:23 pm
I just finished reading the beginning of the current chapter. Great work! I always appreciate socially redeeming nudity. ;)

Jen Zach on June 09, 2006, 06:13:25 pm
Socially redeeming nudity? What's that mean? lol. Fun to color, that bit.

Akira MacKenzie on June 10, 2006, 07:49:27 pm
Socially redeeming nudity? What's that mean?

Oh, it's just my little statement against the moralistic scum who think that the portrayal of any of the more erotic portions of the human anatomy or a sex act between consenting adults itself is somehow a threat to civilization . I mean, what's better for society: Sex or priggish scolds?

lol. Fun to color, that bit.

I would imagine so. ;D

Jen Zach on June 10, 2006, 11:10:59 pm
Ahhhhhhhh...

... I usually just say, "Yay, Boobies! :D"

Akira MacKenzie on June 11, 2006, 12:19:13 pm
Ahhhhhhhh...

Yes, but how many people in this supposedily enlightened day and age, from both the Left and the Right, would admonish you for wanting to look a comely woman's "dirty pillows."

The nippler ring was a very nice touch, BTW.

Scott on June 12, 2006, 02:35:24 am
Glad you like the nipple rings, Neil insisted that I include those.  ;D

Towards the end of our story there's going to be a fair bit more pulchritude. Stay tuned.

Akira MacKenzie on June 12, 2006, 04:25:51 pm
Glad you like the nipple rings, Neil insisted that I include those.  ;D

I knew I liked him for some reasons other than just political leanings.

Jen Zach on June 15, 2006, 07:43:06 pm
Ahhhhhhhh...

Yes, but how many people in this supposedily enlightened day and age, from both the Left and the Right, would admonish you for wanting to look a comely woman's "dirty pillows."

The nippler ring was a very nice touch, BTW.

I don't usually run into that, all that much.

I take more issue with the fact that only women with "perfect" breasts and figures are encouraged to show them. I don't think there's anything "socially redeeming" or any kind of statement in that bedroom scene, because the women are practically centerfold models (I saw the reference pics for Rosa Amarilla- yeah she's a pin-up model) and they're playing out the steriotypical "two girls, one guy" bedroom scene. The "consensual" nature is *borderline* at best- Rosa clearly isn't happy about what she had to do, and the other girl was a "gift"...?? Ugh. Yeah they're pretty, and I do enjoy coloring/drawing the human body. But while I don't think something like this is detrimental so society, I hardly think it's any kind of "triumph" or anything to show it. Nothing groundbreaking or refreshing about it from my POV. It goes with the plot, it fits with the story, and clearly it's something the target audience get a kick out of... but "comely"..? Hardly! Those girls are proffesional-grade exhibitionists.

(PS: Despite my semi-feminist ranting, nothing in Roswell has offended me to the point of more than an eye roll and a shake of the head as far as that's concerned.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 04:11:07 am by Jen Zach »

Frank B. on June 16, 2006, 02:22:29 pm
What we are seeing in the scene is more complex than gratuitous images.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy gratuitous exhibitions as much as the next sentient. The scene is designed to have us both captivated by the loveliness of the ladies, impressed by the obvious power/control of the emperor (how else could such an ugly sack of lard be so blessed?), and appalled by his depravity of keeping slaves and manipulating people through acts of coercion or threats of coercion.  Eye candy for the reader,  yes. There's always that.  But ultimately the scene tells us what kind of a man the Emperor is (one deserving of an additional .45 caliber orifice between the eyes).  Perhaps if we click our heels 3 times, Neil will comment on this.  ;)

Jen Zach on June 16, 2006, 05:58:38 pm
What we are seeing in the scene is more complex than gratuitous images.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy gratuitous exhibitions as much as the next sentient. The scene is designed to have us both captivated by the loveliness of the ladies, impressed by the obvious power/control of the emperor (how else could such an ugly sack of lard be so blessed?), and appalled by his depravity of keeping slaves and manipulating people through acts of coercion or threats of coercion.  Eye candy for the reader,  yes. There's always that.  But ultimately the scene tells us what kind of a man the Emperor is (one deserving of an additional .45 caliber orifice between the eyes).  Perhaps if we click our heels 3 times, Neil will comment on this.  ;)

Yes exactly- it ultimately fits in well with the plot, and the image being portrayed is more complex- and yet, on the surface, it is two girls in bed with one guy, and "TITS!!!". The girsl were the most fun to color in that scene because the rest of the room was such a *beast* to color! I have to roll my eyes and laugh at the fact that the nudity has stolen the show, seemingly.

Frank B. on June 16, 2006, 11:07:38 pm
Yes exactly- it ultimately fits in well with the plot, and the image being portrayed is more complex- and yet, on the surface, it is two girls in bed with one guy, and "TITS!!!". The girsl were the most fun to color in that scene because the rest of the room was such a *beast* to color! I have to roll my eyes and laugh at the fact that the nudity has stolen the show, seemingly.

Well, the boys will wag their tongues (rightfully) at the bodaciousness before them.  As they mature, they will also notice the beautiful mayan head board.  You and Scott did a wonderful job there.  The color gives the low relief lucious depth.  Ah, to be young again. ;-)

Jen Zach on June 17, 2006, 04:28:49 pm
So much tweaking went into making the headboard look juust right. I can't wait to see it in print, because the jpg compression didn't do the satin sheets much justice.

freeagentc on June 21, 2006, 02:22:14 am
Yeh, the titties got my attention. But even more so is the apparent fact that "Teh Heh" is the universal sound of laughter for glamorously drawn nude figures. What I probably liked best though about that scene was the spy's name (Rose Amarilla de Texas? hehe) and her agent number 99 (That "99" reference brought me back to when I used to watch Nick at Nite re-runs as a kid)!

Roberta X on July 01, 2006, 11:17:12 am
Aesthetically, I think naked women look better than naked men.  We're more streamlined!  (And I -- mostly -- prefer men dating-wise, so don't think it's that sort of bias speaking).  Likewise, physically-fit and healthy people look better naked to me -- and to many people -- than those who are not.  So if the despotic ruler of Mexico's got bedmates and his tastes are anywhere near the cultural mean, we can count on 'em being young-looking, female and pin-up pretty.

That doesn't mean those of us with less-than-perfect figures should be sneered at when we wear things rather more skimpy than the WCTU would approve; to claim so is to read far more into the work than is there.

As for "socally-redeeming," why does it need to be?  To the dickens with society; someone else can try to redeem it.  The boys are tellin' us a story.  Boys being boys, it's got naked, pretty girls in it.  You would prefer, maybe, that they were into alligators or sweaty, hairy, obese truckers of either sex?  I'm very leery of "socially redeeming" as a scale of value; if that's your criteria, which of these literary classics do you rate higher, Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle," Pauline Reage's "Story of O," or John Rechy's "City of Night?"  --Even Sinclair's screed is art first, despite his intentions and the very unintended actual consequences; "Reage" was writing a wank-book for her lover, never intended for publication and it just happened both of them were A) kinky and B) extraordinarily gifted writers; Rechy was apparently driven to produce his first and probably best work by the events of his own life, despite the taboo subject matter.  All are shocking in various ways; none of them are looking for social redemption to justify that shock.

Bobbi
By 1913, it was too late.

Jake B. on July 01, 2006, 04:53:13 pm
Socially redeeming? Put whatever justification you want in it if it helps you sleep at night.
The point of it was just to show what kind of man he was: a sexist pig. Nothing much deeper than that.  :D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 05:00:25 pm by Jake »
" Don't get mad, get sadistic." Cryptosporodium - 'Destroy All Humans!'- (?-?-1950s)

anything