Jen Zach on July 01, 2006, 05:54:27 pm
 That doesn't mean those of us with less-than-perfect figures should be sneered at when we wear things rather more skimpy than the WCTU would approve; to claim so is to read far more into the work than is there.

Oh, I wasn't really talking about this scene in general, more a cumulative effect of how this Graphic Novel seems to fall into the same "All girls with nice racks" pattern as the media at large (I don't always complain. Who doesn't like seeing nice looking people? It's when it gets repetetive and of an objectifying nature that I get riled). Plus getting the scripts and constantly having to read the way these girls are described (and oh, getting a ton of pin-up photos of the model used for Rosa on the CD-rom of reference material.) ... haha. Plus every once in a while I just get so fed up with men in general I could spit.

Anyway, Jake hit it on the head. The guy in bed is a sexist pig, and the girls beside him are just the sort of toys he likes to play with...

Roberta X on July 02, 2006, 02:17:58 pm
Oh, I wasn't really talking about this scene in general, more a cumulative effect of how this Graphic Novel seems to fall into the same "All girls with nice racks" pattern as the media at large (I don't always complain. Who doesn't like seeing nice looking people? It's when it gets repetetive and of an objectifying nature that I get riled). Plus getting the scripts and constantly having to read the way these girls are described (and oh, getting a ton of pin-up photos of the model used for Rosa on the CD-rom of reference material.) ... haha.
     See, this is why I will never, ever tour a bacon-production facility; seeing an "egg farm" put me off both eggs and chicken for years and I enjoy my once-a-week bacon ration.  Likewise, after I did radio DJ work I could no longer listen to it the same way.  I'm guessin' the impressionsists occasionally got vexed with misty, emotional paintings, too, and saw only the brushstrokes and colors, the technical defects and cheats. 
     Being too close to the process often leaves us unable to appreciate the product.

...On the other hand, to a degree at least, all humans see each other as "objects" at times, and especially sexually.  I think understanding that, knowing that it's not the only (nor the most lasting or intimate) way we interact is part of attaining adulthood.  Sometimes it's flattering to be an Object of Desire (especially at my age!), if you know you're not locked into being only that.

Plus every once in a while I just get so fed up with men in general I could spit.
     BTDT.  The printing on my "He just up and left one morning for some little chippie after we were together twelve years, during most of which I paid all the rent and utilities, the miserable S.O.B." T-shirt is still fresh and away from home, I work in an otherwise all-male department.  Men are pigs, easily distracted by a baby wolf, something shiny or a spathic blouseful.  But that's how they are; it's not all of how they are, the poor dears, or we'd have to do all the work.

Anyway, Jake hit it on the head. The guy in bed is a sexist pig, and the girls beside him are just the sort of toys he likes to play with...
     Bing bing bing!  Hand that colorist a cigarrillo! (You want tobacco or bubblegum?)  --Yeah, and what's worse is, he plays with real living breathing thinking feeling people as toys and nothing but; that's the heart of his sliminess.  If they were all there 'cos they wanted to be there, that'd be different.

Bobbi
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 06:49:31 am by Roberta X »
By 1913, it was too late.

Mike Mordant on July 08, 2006, 03:25:18 pm
Yeh, the titties got my attention. But even more so is the apparent fact that "Teh Heh" is the universal sound of laughter for glamorously drawn nude figures. What I probably liked best though about that scene was the spy's name (Rose Amarilla de Texas? hehe) and her agent number 99 (That "99" reference brought me back to when I used to watch Nick at Nite re-runs as a kid)!

Well Rosa certianly lives up to the second verse:

She's the sweetest rose of color
A fellow ever knew,
Her eyes are bright as diamonds,
They sparkle like the dew.
You may talk about your dearest May
and sing of Rosa Lee,
But the Yellow Rose of Texas
Beats the belles of Tennessee.

She certinaly lives up to the legend of Emily West.

LNeil on July 13, 2006, 07:22:54 pm
....I have heard the heels click, Frank, and here I am.
....What can I say on this topic that I haven't already said in print? I like lovely females very much and always try to put them into as much of my writing as I can. Seeing them translated into a visual medium by two individuals as talented as Scott and Jen is a real kick, believe me.
....I also have a seemingly unavoidable tendency to "fall in love" with certain of my female characters whenever I write a book, and I can't always tell who it will be. Sometimes it's determined by the photos I choose to represent those characters as I write (I may post some of them somewhere some time). For example, I was terribly fond of Loreanna Daimler-Wilkinson (based on Sarah Miles as she appeared in _Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines_) in _Henry Martyn_ and actually agreed to write _Bretta Martyn_ because it meant that I'd get to write Loreanna again. Oddly, no one has ever commented on the BDSM scene she's involved in toward the end of the book.
....In _Ceres_, I came to adore Jasmeen Khalidov, Julie Segovia Ngu (who will be the viewpoint character of _Ares_) and, surprisingly, Llyra Ngu's mother, Ardith Ngu, who is based on Natalie Wood. Naturally, this means nothing if you haven't read the book. I'm striving to make that possible right now.
....My motives in writing the _Roswell, Texas_ scene in question involved showing President DeGaulle to be a prig quite as much as the Emperor Profirio to be a pig. Lyndon Baines Johnson (speaking of the guy in the black Packard) used to give interviews while he was seated on the throne -- the one in the bathroom. I wanted to do something like that if I could, but make it more ... visually interesting.
....But make no mistake: I do not intend to be "socially redeeming" in any way. Beautiful girls, nudity, gratuitous sex, and yes, glittering nipple jewelry, are all their own justification for existence. And if human beings were all politically correct and ceased to view each other as sex objects, we'd go extinct.
....And deserve to be.

Frank B. on July 13, 2006, 11:31:20 pm
....I have heard the heels click, Frank, and here I am.

Thank ye bra'r Neil.  I couldn'ta done it without my trusty low milage Nocona Italian Kangaroo boots.

cowardly lion on August 18, 2006, 01:33:03 pm
Hi, everyone, *really* a newbie here.  I've been following "Roswell" just about since it started up, but this is the first time I've hit the forums.  Being a straight guy, I naturally went 'straight' to the nudity thread . . .   :-)

I've enjoyed the artwork, just sent Scott a fanmail about a non-nude scene.

But I've not read here what *my* first thought was on seeing the scene in question.  Sure, sliminess and all that, but what went through my head was the guy's innate ignorance/stupidity in treating the women as brainless objects - not that he's a slimeball, but that he's pure-D stupid to make that kind of mistake.

Oh, well, my take on that.

cl

Akira MacKenzie on August 18, 2006, 05:37:16 pm
....But make no mistake: I do not intend to be "socially redeeming" in any way. Beautiful girls, nudity, gratuitous sex, and yes, glittering nipple jewelry, are all their own justification for existence. And if human beings were all politically correct and ceased to view each other as sex objects, we'd go extinct.
....And deserve to be.

Well said, Mr. Smith! Well said!

My usage of the term "socially redeeming nudity" originates from my circle of geeky, all-male (naturally), friends. Whenever we talk about new films, we always end up asking if they feature "socially redeeming nudity." I'm not sure how the phrase got started, but it sort of stuck with us and has delightfully bent the nose of many a listening prude out of shape.

There is just something satisfying about making prigs (especially the religious variety) angry.

Frank B. on August 19, 2006, 11:05:17 am
But I've not read here what *my* first thought was on seeing the scene in question.  Sure, sliminess and all that, but what went through my head was the guy's innate ignorance/stupidity in treating the women as brainless objects - not that he's a slimeball, but that he's pure-D stupid to make that kind of mistake.

Certainly he suffers from a fair deal chauvinism, but I think you have to give credit to Rosa to successfully fool the emperor into
believing that's she's a harmless no-brainer.

jselvy on October 12, 2006, 10:47:49 am
Sorry to be pendantic,

Who decides what is "Redeeming" to society?

Who decides what 'Society' is?

Am I to be forever trapped by Judeo-Cristian values that are of no value to me?

Thanks,
Jefferson

Frank B. on October 12, 2006, 04:52:53 pm
Sorry to be pendantic,

Who decides what is "Redeeming" to society?

Who decides what 'Society' is?

Am I to be forever trapped by Judeo-Cristian values that are of no value to me?

Thanks,
Jefferson

Answering in order... The people in charge. The people who took charge. Only if you let it. ;-)

jselvy on October 14, 2006, 05:58:51 am
are we willing to do the deed that is required to take control of our lives back?

I often wonder how many of the soi-disant supporters of "Liberty" are willing to grasp the nettle and put their "lives, fortunes and Sacred Honor" on the line?

Frank B. on October 14, 2006, 10:51:19 am
are we willing to do the deed that is required to take control of our lives back?

I often wonder how many of the soi-disant supporters of "Liberty" are willing to grasp the nettle and put their "lives, fortunes and Sacred Honor" on the line?

I'm already doing it baby.  Liberty starts with yourself.  Spread the word.

wdg3rd on October 16, 2006, 02:58:58 pm
And if you want some folks to watch your back, there's always the Free State Project, www.freestateproject.org

The Free State Wyoming project as well, which so far doesn't seem to have nearly the numbers, though Ken Royce won't tell anybody the actual numbers.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Frank B. on October 17, 2006, 11:08:00 am
And if you want some folks to watch your back, there's always the Free State Project, www.freestateproject.org

Good luck with that.  I'm currently invovled in the Free Frank Project (FFP).  Far less politics as you might imagine.

Mixed-blood on November 11, 2006, 12:51:05 pm
Yeh, the titties got my attention. But even more so is the apparent fact that "Teh Heh" is the universal sound of laughter for glamorously drawn nude figures. What I probably liked best though about that scene was the spy's name (Rose Amarilla de Texas? hehe) and her agent number 99 (That "99" reference brought me back to when I used to watch Nick at Nite re-runs as a kid)!
Gagghh.  And where does that put those of us that watched Max and 99 when they were first-run???? :'(
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 12:57:39 pm by Mixed-blood »