Rocketman on October 25, 2007, 05:23:51 am
In the Oct. 25 installment you have the german pilot saying "Wir muss zum steverbord in die kurve gehen" but I think that the word "steverbord" should be "starbord", meaning that they should circle to the right.   ;D

Zen Redneck on October 25, 2007, 06:53:06 am
And it should be "wir müssen."

agricola64 on October 25, 2007, 11:02:59 am
a plea to the authors(s): get yourself a german native speaker to do your translations for you ..

... i would volunteer

markus (vienna, austria)

archy on October 25, 2007, 05:10:34 pm
a plea to the authors(s): get yourself a german native speaker to do your translations for you ..

Or at least read David Hilbert's s epitaph from his tombstone at Göttingen:

Wir müssen wissen- Wir werden wissen.

My rusty Soldatensprache is blurred from lack of use over the last 40 years since I was stationed in the Bad Tölz- Augsburg area. But the pilots appear to be a pair of  Fischkopf-Bert sorts anyway....

We must know.
We will know.
Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

agricola64 on October 26, 2007, 06:09:25 am

Or at least read David Hilbert's s epitaph from his tombstone at Göttingen:

Wir müssen wissen- Wir werden wissen.

My rusty Soldatensprache is blurred from lack of use over the last 40 years since I was stationed in the Bad Tölz- Augsburg area. But the pilots appear to be a pair of  Fischkopf-Bert sorts anyway....

We must know.
We will know.

it is not only the pilots .. also the jumpmaster's german has at best a nodding realtionship with the real thing ..

so - how does one contact the author(s)? i was not joking about volunteering ..

wdg3rd on October 26, 2007, 05:44:02 pm

it is not only the pilots .. also the jumpmaster's german has at best a nodding realtionship with the real thing ..

so - how does one contact the author(s)? i was not joking about volunteering ..

On the front page of www.bigheadpress.com is a link to a menu of blog pages.  The one at the top is the realm of the one and only L. Neil Smith, one of the authors.  Rex May, the other author, shows up in these forums now and then.  The artist is also somewhere around here since his brother owns the operation and practices a bit of nepotism.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Zen Redneck on October 26, 2007, 08:35:18 pm
I'm one of the guilty parties, Rex May.  I've passed the volunteering offer on to Neil.

wdg3rd on October 27, 2007, 07:27:22 pm
I'm one of the guilty parties, Rex May.  I've passed the volunteering offer on to Neil.

No reason to feel guilt that I can see, Baloo.  I took German for a year in high school and a year in my second attempt at college and aside from a few trite phrases, my best efforts come out when I drop a brick on my foot and the words I learned from my Berliner roommate at GAtech in '73 (bunkbeds -- nuff said) pour forth along with the spanish I learned from the neighbors as a kid in L.A. and the french I learned from Gram (a nurse 50 years in New Hampshire, picked up the best terms her Kaybecker patients offered).  The only (human) language I can use easily day-to-day is just US-EN.

Yes, I know who you are, and a couple of ways to contact you aside from passing notes to Scott or Neil.  But I try not to give out too much info that's easily available if somebody just pays attention since it's scattered around this little message base.  Staying alive is supposed to be an IQ test without Number 2 pencils.  Or at least without erasers, so you have to deal with frackups some other way.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 07:28:54 pm by wdg3rd »
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

agricola64 on October 29, 2007, 04:01:44 pm

thanks!!

Scott on November 04, 2007, 01:50:14 am
There really isn't any more German in the story to be translated.

However, I can fix the lines already shown  if you want to give the translations  to me here, via the private message system.

agricola64 on November 04, 2007, 10:33:46 am
There really isn't any more German in the story to be translated.

However, I can fix the lines already shown  if you want to give the translations  to me here, via the private message system.

yes .. i can see why that might be the case ..

i will go back and check the panels with "Germlish" ..  8-)