Rocketman on September 22, 2007, 10:21:58 pm
Interesting weapon that the ladies are wearing.  It can disintergrate a 8 inch hole right thru a stump and can also vaporise a school bus and 10 gurkha uniforms and weapons without harming the people in them!  (Must be really fun when a loudmouth drunk in a crowded bar makes a obsene pass at a lady and she decides to take him down a peg by making his clothes go away)   Since the ring appearently uses mind control to control it's power level and to disrupt certain materials and not others it seems to me that this is a form of disruptor and not a laser as I orginally thought.  I'm also guessing that it uses a form of bio-energy to power it.  Meaning the lifeforce of the wearer.   The one thing that I don't understand is the geese.  Is there something in using the weapon that makes a smell like cracked corn?

jrl on September 23, 2007, 10:19:27 am
They're chickens. Remember the chicken cages on top of the bus?

Chickens don't fly very well: They doubtless took off in fright when their cages disappeared but aren't going to come down far from whence they left, therefore they came down mostly on top of the Ghurkas who were sheltering under the no longer existant bus.

As I understand it, fusion power sources could conceivably someday be shrunk small enough to fit in a ring. Other possibilities would be broadcast power from the ship or a portal into a continuum with a higher enegery/lower entropy state.

Rocketman on September 23, 2007, 04:06:56 pm
Your absolutely right.  Because I haven't read the entire story for a long time I had forgotten the chickens that were on the top of the bus.   ;D  I would guess that it's unlikely that the rings are powered by broadcast power from the ship but it is possible that the systems needed to power the rings have not been damaged by the crash.  Cold fusion or possibility zero point energy would be enough to power the ring especially the latter.

delphidb96 on September 24, 2007, 04:48:00 pm
They're *CHICKENS*??? 

Strangest damned chickens I've ever seen!  And I, too, thought they looked an awful lot like geese.  Maybe someone should study chickens more closely  ;)

Derek

Your absolutely right.  Because I haven't read the entire story for a long time I had forgotten the chickens that were on the top of the bus.   ;D  I would guess that it's unlikely that the rings are powered by broadcast power from the ship but it is possible that the systems needed to power the rings have not been damaged by the crash.  Cold fusion or possibility zero point energy would be enough to power the ring especially the latter.

Frank B. on September 25, 2007, 12:10:50 am
They're *CHICKENS*??? 

Strangest damned chickens I've ever seen!  And I, too, thought they looked an awful lot like geese.  Maybe someone should study chickens more closely  ;)

Derek

Naw, geese have much longer necks.  They're consistent with the birds we saw earlier.

delphidb96 on September 25, 2007, 12:27:32 am
If you say so.  Me, I'd call them Chiceese or Geeskens, 'cause a few of them looked rather long-necked and/or broad-and-rounded-of-beek. ;)

Zen Redneck on September 25, 2007, 08:50:00 am
The rings contain mini black holes for power.

archy on September 26, 2007, 08:24:27 pm
They're chickens.

You call them chickens. The Gurkhas call them *supper.*

Tesro bisra yudha Nepalbata suru hunchha! Ayo Ghorkhali!
Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

enemyofthestate on October 02, 2007, 11:29:14 pm
The rings contain mini black holes for power.
How would they keep then from dissipating?    Small black holes would dissappear via Hawking radiation very quickly.  My BOE calulation indicate a black hole initally massing 1kg would last about 1.5E-17 seconds.  Just to last a full second it would need a mass of about 20,000,000 Kg.  IIRC, only black holes of at least two Earth masses are large enough to capture more mass than they lose to Hawking radiation.

Zen Redneck on October 03, 2007, 02:33:00 pm
The black holes are maintained by Star Treck technobabble.

enemyofthestate on October 03, 2007, 09:58:00 pm
Of course!  It all makes sense now....

archy on October 17, 2007, 12:25:10 pm

More likely Version 2.3. This kind: http://www.sg-999.org.uk/stargate2.jpg
Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

anything