talltex on June 03, 2006, 10:26:12 pm
Who are these guys?  I think it's Sam Houston on the left, and Sam Clemens on the right.  Who are the other two Sams?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Scott on June 08, 2006, 01:19:32 pm
The faces will be explained more later, but I'll tell you right now. They are, from left to right:

Sam Houston, Sam Walker (the original, not the TV character), Samuel Colt, and Samuel Clemens. All of these gents are past Presidents of Texas.

freeagentc on June 21, 2006, 02:28:19 am
I noticed Samuel Clemens, aka Mark Twain right away on that Sam Hill monument. Clever, like everything else in this comic. Now, I have to stick around to find out if he had a writing career in this parallel universe also (Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer probably have a different look to them) That, and how the Catholic Church ended up in Brownsville, TX. Corpus Christi missed out on the most perfect opportunity to be the new Vatican! :)

Zen Redneck on June 21, 2006, 10:33:28 am
Would you believe Life on the Brazos?

freeagentc on June 27, 2006, 09:46:30 pm
Would you believe Life on the Brazos?

Sounds good to me!

Scott on July 07, 2006, 11:20:40 am
Now, I had imagined Clemens' life and career would have been pretty much the same until the point where he went to California in our universe. There would still be the old Missouri-based stories, but we would also have "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Matagorda County."

John Walker on July 30, 2006, 06:12:06 pm
I was puzzled by two of the faces on Sam Hill and, after figuring it out (before seeing the answer here), posted it as a puzzle on my Web log:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/fourmilog/archives/2006-07/000729.html

I mention this purely because it's interesting how closely the effigies on
the monument resemble their best-known portraits (with the possible exception
of Sam Clemens).  I have linked biographies of the four faces to my own
photo-montage of Sam Hill.