Apollo-Soyuz on September 15, 2020, 09:27:32 pm
Monty always handled that.

When she went into seclusion on Nyumbani, I bet she still retained Monty or someone to send her regular  "Everything's OK" q-wave messages, the absents of which would cause an alarm.

A quick scan of the local news (page=2044) and she's got to end her Sabbatical. 

I'm bit surprised that Alyss did not give Diana and the rest of the gang her personal "Bat Phone" communicator code and/or associated private encryption keys in the aftermath of the events of Venus 23 and especially Diana during the events of Château Perilleux. She's been a rich tycoon long enough that she should know these things...

MirrorField on September 16, 2020, 12:45:14 am
I'm bit surprised that Alyss did not give Diana and the rest of the gang her personal "Bat Phone" communicator code and/or associated private encryption keys in the aftermath of the events of Venus 23 and especially Diana during the events of Château Perilleux. She's been a rich tycoon long enough that she should know these things...

Ah, so she did and thus the plot thickens. Cortical implant is something rather difficult to lose, especially without killing the subject, but suitably focused EMP or something equivalent might do the trick.

Alyss really should not go into that meeting without several layers of heavy backup and definitely should ask how Diana managed to lose her implant. Especially given the current political situation.

DrakBibliophile on September 16, 2020, 12:48:02 am
Well, it is obvious that Alyss isn't sure that she'll be meeting Diana so I suspect she will be prepared for trouble.

Ah, so she did and thus the plot thickens. Cortical implant is something rather difficult to lose, especially without killing the subject, but suitably focused EMP or something equivalent might do the trick.

Alyss really should not go into that meeting without several layers of heavy backup and definitely should ask how Diana managed to lose her implant. Especially given the current political situation.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Apollo-Soyuz on September 16, 2020, 11:38:24 am
Anyway, It also turns out that Diana's stolen backup was made before she ever met Otto, so that would explain why she didn't recognize Otto, but it doesn't explain why she didn't/hasn't contacted Zander or Bok.

Explained on (page=2146) lost the telecode... and her implant. Possibly the same for Zander and Bok

flashback to prior arc:

page=1783 Diana discovered break-in to apartment, backup was stolen but with everything she many not notice right away.

page=1905 Diana realized backup cube was stolen by who we would later discover to be the RPLD

If she was restored from RPLD copy...

...special hidden "programming" (to be triggered later like Dune's gholas)

Well, it is obvious that Alyss isn't sure that she'll be meeting Diana so I suspect she will be prepared for trouble.

Again, Dune ghola conditioning Tleilaxu assassin. Too bad Monty isn't around for doing a brain scan. Time to call up Sergio Cooper's Troopers.

emb021 on September 18, 2020, 10:13:59 am
Ok, so apparently it is Diana.  She was not at home during the disaster, and she has an excuse to what happened to her implant.

But my question would be if she came back and found out what had happened, why did she not reach out to her various friends in Bublopolis?  And she should have recognized Otto.  So what's up with that?

Where has she been living, was she not able to access her bank account or get that access fixed?

Does seem strange.

Apollo-Soyuz on September 18, 2020, 12:31:55 pm
my theory, updated:

1. RPLD stole her backup cube (page=1783)
2. somehow got some of her DNA too (page=1967)
3. grew a clone, and kept the body as a "cold spare"
4. After the intelligence got back to RPLD on which spheres were destroyed or damaged (and they were fairly sure she was dead) they selectively flashed some of her memory from backup
5. Faked the electrocution, which supposedly damages most of her 'plant memory
6. She's "rescued" from the electrocution by an RPLD confederate, who suggests that she's on a mission in a different system, and suggests the reason for her 'plant damage. Implanted fuzzy memories could help convince her.

That explains not recognizing Otto, and not having Alyss' private line. She could have "lost" contact details for Bok and Zander.

We know the RPLD is somehow involved with the attack because of (page=2095) Belbenoit visiting Zondra Quirós on vacation.

As the story takes place several years after the last arc, Juan should have recovered by now. He could have either died in the attack or a false memory was made so Diana thinks she had a falling out.

She might have been sent back to Bubbleopolis as a unaware and unknowing spy. She can reestablish contact with Alyss and other friends , learn things because she is already trusted, and later be immobilized and snatched away by RPLD for another "interrogation"

Alternately, they could have built a backdoor into her 'plant and are using it to spy on her and other people. The problem would be diagnostics. If she got her 'plant checked out it would have to show that memory was merely erased by the shock and the 'plant (with secret backdoor) was functioning OK. They would not want her to go under the knife to have her 'plant replaced.

DrakBibliophile on September 18, 2020, 04:24:33 pm
OK, crazy idea time.

First, I think Apollo-Soyuz may be correct that this Diana is a clone of the original with an old (and possibly altered) memory back-up.

So what happens if the original Diana is still alive but hasn't (or can't) checked in with Alyss or her friends.

So the original Diana shows up with this "copy" of her still around.

Now what happens? [Crazy Grin]
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Coyoty on September 19, 2020, 03:05:29 am
"Kill her!  She's the cl--" ::zap::
"Why'd you kill her first and not me?  How'd you know I'm the real one?"
"She was too quick to want you dead.  Besides, I don't know, yet.  I only stunned her."
::zap::
"You've been watching too much Star Trek."

El Jefe on September 19, 2020, 03:44:14 am
Page=2054.  There still might be a recoverable backup in La Casa Silvestri, both for Diana and for Monty (who would know a lot about matters immediately prior to the attack, although we wouldn't know how old his last backup was).

Pretty big risk for a faker to take, if they knew there was a chance those backups survived.

jhpace1 on September 19, 2020, 06:25:55 am
What should happen now, is for Otto to take the attitude "I don't know who you are, but you're not Diana, and you're never going to convince me, and I want nothing to do with you.".  And have Otto be in a position where he can accuse Diana-clone of not being Diana, "story" to the contrary.

Diana-clone might be an unconscious spy for the RPLD, a way for them to measure the public's reactions to the attacks.

B-Sabre on September 19, 2020, 07:23:02 pm
Again, Dune ghola conditioning Tleilaxu assassin. Too bad Monty isn't around for doing a brain scan. Time to call up Sergio Cooper's Troopers.

If this is a clone of Diana, would this make them....Clone Troopers?

Apollo-Soyuz on Today at 11:57:43 am
K-2SO>Did You Know That Wasn't Me?

"Why'd you kill her first and not me?  How'd you know I'm the real one?"

Apollo-Soyuz on Today at 12:46:44 pm
page=2054

If RPLD had a spy within Cooper Seguridad, Gianturco Guarantia or one of the other security agencies, they might know how bad the environment which the backups are in, and have a rough idea of how long until it might be safe to try to rescue them.   

Page=2054.  There still might be a recoverable backup in La Casa Silvestri, both for Diana and for Monty (who would know a lot about matters immediately prior to the attack, although we wouldn't know how old his last backup was).

Pretty big risk for a faker to take, if they knew there was a chance those backups survived.

Assuming unauthorized-clone Diana had a backdoor in her plant, the risk would be minimal. We already know RPLD has a stolen Diana b/u, but I think it would be tough to use unauthorized-clone Diana to trace back and find the rogue cloner. They would just get intelligence from Diana's evil 'plant until it's discovered to be evil.

I guess the real risk would be that Alyss and the Pillars would learn that RPLD was most certainly involved, because who else stole her memory cube? (That being said, while we know that they are involved, Hugo and Murphy will report that Shenhua Itochu are probably in the mix somehow.)

Beyond the one white hand that Alyss had, Alyss needs to ask questions that only post-stolen b/u Diana might know to divine the unauthorized-clone status of Diana

1. How much of my money did you pay to buy the dollhouse?

2. What embarrassing thing did I say while Monty was doing your full backup?

etc.

anything