delphidb96 on September 17, 2007, 10:31:08 pm
And I decided to upload two of the "Roswell, Texas" pages onto it, just to see how readable they are.

Here are two of the pictures I snapped.  You can check out the Bookeen page or our (NAEB's) website at:  www.bookeen.com and www.naebllc.com

Derek 

Rocketman on September 18, 2007, 06:42:23 pm
delphidb96:
     You might not want to try to get on an airline flight with that.  The TSA crowd might decide it's porographic and decide to confiscate it in the interest of "airline safety".  If you think I'm kidding just
remember that Southwest recently kicked off a Hooters waitress off of a flight for a skirt that was too short.  I'm still trying to figure out an airline who's job it is to transport people from point A to point B entitles them to be the moriality police.   >:(

delphidb96 on September 18, 2007, 08:20:46 pm
Good point!  However, this was just to show the Cybook does a decent job of imaging color images in grayscale.  And if it were re-formatted into a graphic novel for the Cybook or other eInk reader, they'd have to *first* confiscate the reader *THEN* look for the prurient pages!  Not that I would put that beyond the imagination of TSA.  >:(

Derek

Rocketman on September 19, 2007, 07:50:35 pm
Derek:
     What you suggested COULD happen.  I read a story a few months ago about an engineer from I think it was France who brought some company proprietary designs in his locked briefcase on an airline flight into the U.S.  He was stopped by the TSA ON HIS WAY OUT OF THE U. S. AIRPORT and asked to look into the briefcase.  He didn't think it was any big deal and let them.  They asked what were the drawings and he told them.  They put him in a solitary room for an "intensive" search and took the briefcase for a closer examination.  After a couple of hours he was released with the briefcase.  The engineer knew that the plans were examined because they were returned to the briefcase out of sequence and guesses the plans were copied.   >:(

Scott on September 20, 2007, 06:02:32 pm
This looks verrrrrry interesting.  Please keep us posted, Derek.

Sphynx on September 20, 2007, 08:36:05 pm
Derek: Nice start.  I notice that this looks like what I imagine the first prototype or production version of the Helmers Gigacom 67G device that Clarissa gave Win Bear in The Venus Belt.

What are the overall and screen dimensions?  My estimates, based on the unit pictured in front of a keyboard, is 8" wide, by about 4.75 tall, with screen dimensions of 5" x 3.5";  How thick, and what weight?  Also, if its not proprietary/confidential, what is the document input method(s).

delphidb96 on September 20, 2007, 11:09:23 pm
Sphynx,

Taken directly from Bookeen's website - and matched by my own measurements.

Height:  7.4" (188mm)
Width:  4.7"  (118mm)
Thickness: 0.3" (8.5mm)  Yep.  It's *THAT* thin! ;D

Weight: 6.13 *OUNCES*!!!  (174 grams!!!)  Yep.  It's *THAT* light! ;D

In other words, it's a darned light and comfortable device.  It's about 1" longer than the Sony PRS-500 and about an ounce lighter - to my feel.

It does not require any special software to download the ebooks onto it.  As long as your computer has a USB port, the Cybook will appear as a removable drive and you just move your audio, pictures and ebook files into the appropriate directories.

It is rather easy to use.

Derek

Derek: Nice start.  I notice that this looks like what I imagine the first prototype or production version of the Helmers Gigacom 67G device that Clarissa gave Win Bear in The Venus Belt.

What are the overall and screen dimensions?  My estimates, based on the unit pictured in front of a keyboard, is 8" wide, by about 4.75 tall, with screen dimensions of 5" x 3.5";  How thick, and what weight?  Also, if its not proprietary/confidential, what is the document input method(s).

enemyofthestate on September 21, 2007, 12:24:27 am
I might get one just for the Kewl factor. :-)

delphidb96 on September 21, 2007, 08:46:33 am
One thing I should note is that it uses the ever-popular Mobipocket format.  And it currently also supports HTM and HTML as well as TXT and will shortly support PDB (Palm Reader and Palm Reader Pro) ebooks.  By the time it is released, they will have added RTF and PDF support.  Now don't get all a-gaa-gaa about PDF.  Remember that the screen measures 6" (diagonally).  Most current PDFs out there are formatted for A4 or US Letter sizes - which means they're not formatted for the current crop of eInk 6" screens - you can buy an iLiad from iRex, but that puppy runs 700 *EUROS* - or far more than $700 - just to get an 8" screen!

What *I* do is run my PDFs through Adobe Acrobat Professional and Save As HTML.  Then I run the resultant files through BookDesigner to create Mobi, eReader, Microsoft Reader or Sony .LRF ebooks.  You can use any PDF-to-HTML conversion that you like.  Book Designer is FREE!!!  And they have updates available all the way up to 7/30/2007.

Bookeen hopes to also add support for Microsoft .DOC and FBReader .FB2 files as well as Plucker over the next several months.

Derek

I might get one just for the Kewl factor. :-)

anything