Skull the Troll on April 24, 2020, 11:09:02 am
I get that you would need a starship if you were uncertain where you were going like if you were an explorer or a asteroid miner or something, but why do people who are moving need them. Walk though a field and end up in any other place in the whole universe that you had arraigned to move to. Or are they just getting on ships because they don't have anywhere else to move to and at least its not "here?"

UncleRice on April 24, 2020, 12:39:34 pm
I would imagine it's a mixture of bulk discount, the hostility of outer space, temporary housing, and that it's quicker & cheaper than fabbing your own. Though I would argue each and every building should be the equivalent of a motor home.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

DrakBibliophile on April 24, 2020, 01:45:29 pm
There's also the cost aspect.

Yes, it may be possible to "gate" anywhere in known space but it might be more expensive than "hopping" into a starship (either your private starship or somebody else's starship).

Of course, if you're moving a house full of stuff, loading it on a starship might be easier & less expensive than "trucking" it through a star-gate.

Oh, the temporary housing (with a personal starship) would be a factor.

I would imagine it's a mixture of bulk discount, the hostility of outer space, temporary housing, and that it's quicker & cheaper than fabbing your own. Though I would argue each and every building should be the equivalent of a motor home.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

lurkergao on April 24, 2020, 11:18:04 pm
The inward sphere panic moving reminds me a bit of all the panic buying we've experienced recently in the US driving up the prices of the weirdest things. Considering the size of bubble town(the number of bubbles on the external side of the structure) it seems unlikely that the rock throwers would hit your particular sphere, and even if they did you presumably have backups that will be restored in other spheres. Was this keen observation of human irrationality inspired by recent covid19 events perhaps?

0z79 on April 25, 2020, 02:07:14 pm
1) I finally remembered my password in time; sorry for the technical issues, Scott!

2) The inward flight has me thinking only one thing: "GENTRIFICATION, HO!!" It'll be kind of like Seattle; richies driving up prices in poor neighborhoods, driving the current residents out of house and home. I would honestly not be surprised if they then turned around and complained about all "the poors" ruining the curb appeal of their new house... a house they essentially stole from them in the first place.

Geezer on April 29, 2020, 02:04:43 pm
I would expect that there are some places people might want to go that purposely don't have gates, due to privacy or security concerns.

customdesigned on May 04, 2020, 09:13:44 am
Every technology comes with a tradeoff.  I don't think we've seen the Big Downside of displacement tech yet.   Maybe it pops holes in, and eventually weakens, space-time - with some cosmic consequence.  When reading about Tesla Towers, I was relieved they didn't catch on.  They gather "free" energy by draining it from the Earth's magnetic field.  Not so "free" in the long term.

Scott has not addressed causality and displacement.  Our universe has timewise loops, but navigating them to effect time-travel is impractical, and perhaps impossible on the macro scale.  The loops are geometric features of space-time, not a violation of causality in themselves.

Example of a theoretical man-made "wormhole" time wise loop:

1) create a wormhole
  a) for person sized wormhole, take two earth mass conducting plates, and hold them near each other without touching - very practical, yes? :-)
  b) for micro wormhole suitable for transmitting information to the past, do the above on a smaller, and perhaps less expensive scale
2) separate the ends of the wormhole
  a) problem: no method of "grabbing" the ends is yet known
  b) don't allow the ends to meet, the wormhole will collapse in an explosion
  c) the explosion from collapse of a personal or bigger wormhole will have sizable energy.  Best not keep either end on the planet you live on.  Put it in orbit a good distance from Earth.
3) send one end away from Earth at near light speed for, say, 1 light year, then turn around and come back

One end of the wormhole is now 1 year older than the other.  You can transmit information from the future to the past.  There is no violation of causality because the bridge is continuous - indeed, using it to personal advantage requires keeping it absolutely secret - which it's very existence makes more difficult. 

You can also send the wormhole end to some other planet and leave it there for easy access.  E.g. a micro sized wormhole allows remote control of a robotic exploration vehicle without the time delay by transmitting signals both ways through the hole.  The mass of the wormhole end is proportional to the energy of collapse - so sending a personal sized hole to another planet would be even more expensive than creating it in the first place.
-----------------------

So, there are likely natural timewise loops near super massive objects.  Just as Murphy drive used black holes to accelerate object to near light speed, it could be used to jump into one.  But the time travel requires actually moving *through* the loop, so maybe displacement can't violate causality. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:26:16 am by customdesigned »

Skull the Troll on May 13, 2020, 02:18:43 pm
I doubt there is much downside to Murpy drive tech. We have seen them use it for things as simple as going to a restaurant. Its cheap enough that a down on his luck private investigator can have one installed.  As far as ships being cheaper the ship itself uses the Murphy Drive. There is no (practical) alternative to the Murphy drive for anything outside your system. What makes the most sense to me is that the ships are a place to live while not leaving the system, but are perceived as "safer" than being in Bubbleopolis. Still dont understand why many ship exist tho.

Also a Tesla Tower does not use up the earths magnetic field even though it is the source of energy./ That's like saying solar power uses up the sun. We can use the earths magnetic field for a longer period of time than the earth will exist as a planet because the core is not expected to cool before the sun goes nova in 5 billion years. That said, Tesla towers are still dumb.

lurkergao on May 13, 2020, 04:50:29 pm
Thanks for stating this, i was trying to hold myself back..
I doubt there is much downside to Murpy drive tech. We have seen them use it for things as simple as going to a restaurant. Its cheap enough that a down on his luck private investigator can have one installed.  As far as ships being cheaper the ship itself uses the Murphy Drive. There is no (practical) alternative to the Murphy drive for anything outside your system. What makes the most sense to me is that the ships are a place to live while not leaving the system, but are perceived as "safer" than being in Bubbleopolis. Still dont understand why many ship exist tho.

Also a Tesla Tower does not use up the earths magnetic field even though it is the source of energy./ That's like saying solar power uses up the sun. We can use the earths magnetic field for a longer period of time than the earth will exist as a planet because the core is not expected to cool before the sun goes nova in 5 billion years. That said, Tesla towers are still dumb.

Sean Roach on May 19, 2020, 12:49:23 pm
Seamus and Murphy are explorers. They go places where there are no gates. Our saboteur was also going someplace with no gate, and certainly no desire to be logged getting there.
For some, the ability to park their bedroom there they have a nice view of a Jovian may be the point. Or even land the thing and enjoy a pastoral vista this week, and a seaside one next week.

Why there isn't a gate into every building, and even some places built up from multiple buildings gated together, when that down-on-his-luck private investigator could afford and manage to have one as a secret escape hatch, is more curious. Unless that flat-panel gate is quite new so people haven't widely adopted it yet, which the topology of Oz argues against. Or if there is some condition that is easier to meet while being in a vehicle, such as being inside a Faraday cage, ("Sure. You can walk through a gate! If you don't mind being hit with the equivalent of a bolt of lightning, that is! Go ahead. I'll watch."). But, then again, Diana dived through one wearing nothing but her Anysuit, and while injured. But she did DIVE through a gate, not step through, and at some speed. Maybe that met the condition and that's why she's fine. People might not be so eager to have a door-level gate to walk through if they have to remember never to try to WALK through it. Jump but not step.

This may simply be the sort of thing that is always prevalent in Science Fiction. Like why Jane Jetson acts like a 50's housewife, or why the bridge of the Enterprise D is on the highest point of the ship, rather than buried between the saucer section and the battle section where it's not such an obvious target. (It's not like they look out the WINDOWS to steer the ship.) The audience is familiar with cars. The author is familiar with cars. The author drew flying cars.

Skull the Troll on May 26, 2020, 09:55:14 am
I think Covid has given me a new perspective on this at least for local travel around bubbleopolis. They may have recognized a need for people to travel as part of their daily routine. If you portal everywhere its like you are never leaving the house. When you take a bubble you go on  a journey that shows you the distance you have moved etc.