DrakBibliophile on January 10, 2020, 10:12:42 am
https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=2043

Interesting.  Earlier I got the idea that the Pillars were more "just the founding families with more prestige than anything else".

Scott mentioned in another thread that they are the major "land-owners" in Bubbleopolis but here we're seeing that them (assembled) are the de facto government (although nobody in Bubbleopolis including themselves see them as a government).

Of course, this is an emergency situation not a normal situation.

However, we did see that the "Court" (in The Trial) had no problem giving Alyss Roaz (one of the Pillars) a major fine.

So "government of Bubbleopolis" is perhaps too strong of statement concerning the Pillars.

So
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Apollo-Soyuz on January 10, 2020, 07:19:20 pm
Retcon?

page=2043

Looking past the backs of Martello et als' heads at the four present members of the Five Pillars: Kofi Akosah, Lorelei de Clayre Jorge Ansari, and Enrique Colón.

Caption (at top): The Five Pillars of Bubbleopolis (minus Alyss Roaz, absent)

page=1933

Diana: She betrayed and murdered a Pillar of Bubbleopolis, after all.

Diana: The Pillars are the closest thing the city has to a ruling class, being founders and owning the core spheres.

page=1287

Computer voice: Founders were a consortium of enterprises led by Hari Copperton, Kofi Akosah, Kirsten Bezos, Edmund Ansari, Enrique Colón, and Nicole Oresme.

I though we'd see Hari, but if descendants can "stand in" as pillars, I wonder why Dominic isn't.   Maybe she didn't bother to designate someone yet.

Skull the Troll on January 11, 2020, 01:40:08 pm

Interesting.  Earlier I got the idea that the Pillars were more "just the founding families with more prestige than anything else".

Scott mentioned in another thread that they are the major "land-owners" in Bubbleopolis but here we're seeing that them (assembled) are the de facto government (although nobody in Bubbleopolis including themselves see them as a government).

However, we did see that the "Court" (in The Trial) had no problem giving Alyss Roaz (one of the Pillars) a major fine.

So "government of Bubbleopolis" is perhaps too strong of statement concerning the Pillars.

So

In what way is it different than a government? Other than it seems to be by weath/respect rather than voting/force.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 02:00:23 pm by Skull the Troll »

DrakBibliophile on January 11, 2020, 02:15:39 pm
None IMO.

But I'm the heretic here as I don't believe that large societies sans government can exist.

Of course, the stories are good enough that I can let that flaw pass.  ;)

So

In what way is it different than a government? Other than it seems to be by weath/respect rather than voting/force.

Skull the Troll on January 11, 2020, 07:48:17 pm
Naw I feel the same way and I get the idea lots of folks around here are in the "rational anarchist" as described by Heinlein in the Moon is a Harsh Mistress. (Prof de la Paz)

DrakBibliophile on January 12, 2020, 12:47:18 pm
Nod.

Now, I'm not willing to argue with Scott about "How realistic his world is".

I dislike witnessing readers arguing with the creators of books (etc) about the story universe the creators have made.

My position is simple, either enjoy the story as the story-teller made it or don't read/watch the story.

Scott has created a fun story universe.

I see no reason to "nit-pick" about the unrealistic aspects of it.

I just enjoy it.  :)

Naw I feel the same way and I get the idea lots of folks around here are in the "rational anarchist" as described by Heinlein in the Moon is a Harsh Mistress. (Prof de la Paz)

Skull the Troll on January 13, 2020, 08:32:04 am
Agreed! That said, I really wanna nitpick at the farm bigot (forgot her name) eating "just the whites."  I wonder what her rational is for that?   ;D ;D ;D

bjdotson on January 13, 2020, 02:49:18 pm
I can guess; the yolk turns into a living creature. The white is basically food for the developing embryo and as such can not develop into a living creature.

DrakBibliophile on January 13, 2020, 06:18:29 pm
Makes sense (from a certain point of view).  ;D

I can guess; the yolk turns into a living creature. The white is basically food for the developing embryo and as such can not develop into a living creature.

Coyoty on January 13, 2020, 11:35:47 pm
Looks like the incognito missing pillar just got news of the attack.

DrakBibliophile on January 13, 2020, 11:41:50 pm
Very possible.

For somebody like her, that planet could be a relaxing change of pace.

Of course, a "tin-man" (or tin-woman) likely could change "bodies".  (IE Move the CPU from one body to another body.)

MirrorField on January 15, 2020, 04:22:34 am

And we find out who that missing pillar was... And Alyss Roaz finds out that she doesn't own a huge chunk of
Bubbleopolis. It is the Bubbleopolis that owns her.

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."
--Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Skull the Troll on January 15, 2020, 07:26:48 am

Yeah... but once you crack the egg open and take the white, I think that yolk is dead anyhow. Plus most yolks arent fertile. Shes just stupid.

Scott on January 15, 2020, 08:36:56 am

Yeah... but once you crack the egg open and take the white, I think that yolk is dead anyhow. Plus most yolks arent fertile. Shes just stupid.

Even in the future, there will be stupid people. You can't get away from them.

Skull the Troll on January 17, 2020, 07:00:03 am

Even in the future, there will be stupid people. You can't get away from them.

Heh this should be on a t-shirt. :) Man how about that running speed, if she got just a bit faster she could create a sonic boom!