Skull the Troll on February 10, 2020, 12:43:22 pm
Right? Seems a lot safer than "In a cupboard behind my couch." That said, lots of cultures have evolved many strange beliefs and conventions over time. Even ones that may be harmful to those who practice them. It's the world they live in. They even have this supposed belief in libertarian ideals, but then when something bad happens they "cry out for leadership."  from the oligarchs that are the real power. ;)

Apollo-Soyuz on February 12, 2020, 07:35:20 pm
Note:  Backups to the backups "fan service" on page=2055

>Alyss: Imagine having unauthorized copies of yourself running around, ruining your credit rating.

And with that I'll make a storyline guess:

Diana is not resurrected from a Monty archive, but from a copy captured from RPLD. This means she loses a couple years of memories, including most of the Otto obsession/stalking. Meanwhile, thankfully, Otto gets laid by someone else. 

Scott on February 17, 2020, 03:26:38 pm
Note:  Backups to the backups "fan service" on page=2055

>Alyss: Imagine having unauthorized copies of yourself running around, ruining your credit rating.

And with that I'll make a storyline guess:

Diana is not resurrected from a Monty archive, but from a copy captured from RPLD. This means she loses a couple years of memories, including most of the Otto obsession/stalking. Meanwhile, thankfully, Otto gets laid by someone else.

You just gave me an amazing idea for the Otto/Diana sub-plot. Not exactly what you suggest but it will really explode some heads. Thanks!

Apollo-Soyuz on February 20, 2020, 06:24:46 am
Ooh, the very best kind of "fan service"

if you haven't read it yet: Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow

You just gave me an amazing idea for the Otto/Diana sub-plot. Not exactly what you suggest but it will really explode some heads. Thanks!

lurkergao on February 24, 2020, 03:39:05 pm
recent strip: Doesn't look like Hugo is very popular these days. 

I found it interesting the person who said earlier in this thread that he wouldn't consider the backups to be him because they are imperfect. I have the opposite opinion to Alyss and him I would want my backups to be walking around and have bodies. And I would probably collect additional me persons like a crazy cat lady in this society. the fact that they will become different from me over time is a benefit not a problem. I'm not sure how much alyss explanation of credit score shenanigans makes sense considering how feasible it is to look like somebody else already in this society. Its not clear how they keep each other's identities straight. Basically the world is incredibly lonely, I don't care about my credit score cash talks better anyway. If I'm going to live as long as the characters in this world I would want somebody to talk to who understood things from the time period I was born. But I'm pretty surprised Scott hasn't introduced more Hiver- like characters in his world setting some of which would likely have been outside of the sphere of destruction at this event and survived.

Sean Roach on February 25, 2020, 10:11:48 am

I found it interesting the person who said earlier in this thread that he wouldn't consider the backups to be him because they are imperfect. I have the opposite opinion to Alyss and him I would want my backups to be walking around and have bodies. And I would probably collect additional me persons like a crazy cat lady in this society. the fact that they will become different from me over time is a benefit not a problem. I'm not sure how much alyss explanation of credit score shenanigans makes sense considering how feasible it is to look like somebody else already in this society. Its not clear how they keep each other's identities straight. Basically the world is incredibly lonely, I don't care about my credit score cash talks better anyway. If I'm going to live as long as the characters in this world I would want somebody to talk to who understood things from the time period I was born. But I'm pretty surprised Scott hasn't introduced more Hiver- like characters in his world setting some of which would likely have been outside of the sphere of destruction at this event and survived.

Forget good copies. Think mutated or scraped copies. Imagine someone getting your backup and producing a "mask" from your backup. This isn't you. This is an overlay that feeds the wearer your knowledge and mannerisms when asked, but can be overridden, and does not have your motivations. A tool to better impersonate you but not be you. The ultimate form of identity theft.

Although at least some of us would be bothered by the concept of coming home late, after a hard day of not being recruited by the star league, and finding a beta unit living our lives for us.

Apollo-Soyuz on February 25, 2020, 05:39:49 pm
I have the opposite opinion to Alyss and him I would want my backups to be walking around and have bodies.

Hmm. you mean like having multiple bodies, maybe a python, a panther, a panda and a porcupine? How often would you sync memories?

I'm not sure how much alyss explanation of credit score shenanigans makes sense considering how feasible it is to look like somebody else already in this society.

It probably has something to do with having an established credit history attached to an overly complex passcode that you can use to prove a connection to that history. The brain 'plants would make memorizing a random base-64 number of 64 digits in length passcode trivial and error free. 6464 is an enormous number to try to brute-force.

Skull the Troll on February 26, 2020, 09:24:16 am

Forget good copies. Think mutated or scraped copies. Imagine someone getting your backup and producing a "mask" from your backup. This isn't you. This is an overlay that feeds the wearer your knowledge and mannerisms when asked, but can be overridden, and does not have your motivations. A tool to better impersonate you but not be you. The ultimate form of identity theft.

Although at least some of us would be bothered by the concept of coming home late, after a hard day of not being recruited by the star league, and finding a beta unit living our lives for us.

No part of this story however has made any reference to imperfect copies. You're creating all sort of theoretical tech that hasn't been shown in the story. So far when a backup is activated it is a perfect version of the person who backed it up up until the point of backup. That backup wouldn't be willing to help a "mask wearer" Sure you could torture it into madness like the Cush did with Hugo and Murphy, but the idea of a willing helper seems like a lot more of a outside possibility that a simple house fire as risk goes. That said the people of Bubblopolis feel differently. Its weird but culture is weird, and non-logical much of the time.

Sean Roach on February 26, 2020, 11:02:41 am

No part of this story however has made any reference to imperfect copies. You're creating all sort of theoretical tech that hasn't been shown in the story. So far when a backup is activated it is a perfect version of the person who backed it up up until the point of backup. That backup wouldn't be willing to help a "mask wearer" Sure you could torture it into madness like the Cush did with Hugo and Murphy, but the idea of a willing helper seems like a lot more of a outside possibility that a simple house fire as risk goes. That said the people of Bubblopolis feel differently. Its weird but culture is weird, and non-logical much of the time.

If you can torture a copy into compliance, at 10x, or 100x, in advance of needing that information, that IS close to what I meant by a "mutated copy". What I actually meant was the concept of replacing the driving personality with a search engine, but that might not be practical even in the vibeverse.

What would be doable, because I believe it's doable now, would be to research your victim like a good biographer of a long-dead person, form questions from that research, then pose those questions to (a copy of) your victim, under the effects of sodium pentathol or similar, to build a more complete model of your victims knowledge and interactions, with probably enough verisimilitude to fool even close friends.
This is close to what I meant by "scraped". As in a "scraped website", where the underlying architecture can't be gleaned but only the exposed HTML generated by it. You're not going to add posts to the end of a message board stored on archive.org.

Now, it's possible that Mr. Beiser will rule that such information is so entangled with personality that you can't get at the one without expressions of the other, but if that is so, then the copy of Nicole that overwrote the MCP of that planet is going to have quite a time keeping things from falling apart around her as she won't be able to "recall" where the MCP put the keys and paperwork she'll need to unravel that dystopia.