Redwood Elf on January 06, 2020, 09:07:37 am
I would think that for those who make regular backups of their personality, there would be entire corporations dedicated to remote storage of emergency backups. "Armageddon, Inc. Peace of mind against Extinction Level Events!"

Skull the Troll on January 06, 2020, 09:30:26 am
I would think that for those who make regular backups of their personality, there would be entire corporations dedicated to remote storage of emergency backups. "Armageddon, Inc. Peace of mind against Extinction Level Events!"

Right?!? I keep my taaxes in a remote backup location. If I had something that would keep me alive forever, I'd have it in 50 places.

Apollo-Soyuz on January 06, 2020, 12:30:59 pm
I previously brought up the point that Diana casually backed herself up, on the equivalent of a USB drive kept unencrypted in her rental apartment.

Which the bad guys stole.

And we know from the raid on DeCastries that brains can be scanned directly, (page=1985) so an image of a person is certainly should be possible.

The RPLD crew has Diana's backup, if her body is destroyed and the backup along with it I have to wonder if RPLD can warp it enough to create a Diana "double agent"

I certainly would have second thoughts about keeping 20 unencrypted copies of myself floating around Oz.

bjdotson on January 06, 2020, 12:37:30 pm
I am sure that most people would be smart enough not to have their backups in their house, but how remote is remote. Local Bank, Computer complex in your bubble, etc.
Most people wouldn't plan for a mega disaster like this and you might not even trust the companies in a neighboring bubble. You would want to give your backups to people (companies) that you trust and the further you get away from "home", the more that number dwindles.

Sean Roach on January 06, 2020, 03:32:55 pm
It's easy to get complacent. The bubbles are safe, generally. You're far more likely to die due to misadventure than your house getting destroyed, along with everyone else's.

That said, take your scan, assuming it's digital, XOR it against true noise. Give the XORed version to one person and the noise to another. Do this multiple times and give each person one XORed brain scan from one set and one noise sample from another. OTP's are immune to known-text analysis, provided they're used CORRECTLY, and generated CORRECTLY, so you don't need to concern yourself that someone will get several sets and study them for commonalities, (some Russian intel was decoded because the one-time pads were reused, and at least at one time, the Soviets generated OTP's by banging "randomly" on typewriters,.. which isn't random enough to defy analysis). The files may be immense, but who cares? We can store several terabytes in a package that is smaller than a mans wallet.

Finally, do a daily, a weekly, and a monthly backup. The daily stays on your nightstand. The weekly gets uploaded to the nearest hospital. The monthly gets shot off to a secure server owned by your Assurance Agency. That's how you distribute them to friends, too. Any set gets updated, not every day or week, but every so often, and everyone has instructions that, in the event of your death, they should compare notes to see whose is most recent and use that one to re-create you.

Edit: There are ways to encrypt a thing into multiple pieces such that you must bring an arbitrary number of those pieces together to restore the file. So, say you are confident that at least 60% of your friends are both reliable and trustworthy enough to entrust with your backup, but you don't necessarily know which 60%. You pick 8 of them, and set it up so that at least 6 parts, any 6 parts, comprising 75%, must be brought together in order to restore "you".  You can even do this as part of your automatic backup, too. All it means is you need to pick a number of targets, not strongly associated with each other such that if one were compromised they all would be, and a communications system that was impractical to compromise without quick detection.
Heck, you just need to preserve, against evesdropping, 3 of your 8 component pieces, in the above example, so use multiple communications mechanisms, including possibly a physical dead-drop.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:44:13 pm by Sean Roach »

UncleRice on January 06, 2020, 09:22:28 pm
Given the vast amount of empty space in the universe and cheap travel, backing yourself up in a remote automated ship would be SOP, but  not everyone has the  kind of imagination needed to take those kinds of efforts.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Scott on January 08, 2020, 11:00:19 am
My thinking is that generally most people in Bubbleopolis would have just two backups, an A/B arrangement, and keep them either at home or in a nearby vault.

One thing about personality-memory back-ups is they are extremely complex, even by 31st-Century standards, and you don't want ANY typos or noise. So, you upload your back-up by wire, not by radio or q-wave, which means you have to have a set-up something like what we saw Diana use at Alyss' house.

Bear also in mind that, unlike the Star Trek universe, this is not a "post-scarcity" economy (what a ridiculous notion) and back-up gear and resurrection services cost money and most people don't want to spend much more than we might spend on life insurance policies. Especially when they get complacent, living inside a Borvonite sphere. Some people might have multiple off-site back-ups, and they can be resurrected, but some of those back-ups might be quite out-of-date. This would make for some interesting personal situations. (What do you mean, we got divorced? When?)

lurkergao on January 08, 2020, 04:28:28 pm
There's also the problem of people knowing where the deceased backup is stored i would think. Diane for instance might have had an offsite backup somewhere besides castle monty due to her past troubles with people stealing them might have them in an anonymous safe deposit box.

Respectfully Scott it appears like some things are post scarcity in your world setting. Nobody so far has tried to charge Diane for breathing their air for instance. In space that's not a given. Especially considering how humans cant stop breathing to go shopping around. Even the seedy cyberpunk slums in oz have free access to breathable air. It indicates that problem is somehow solved to such an extent that nobody is even thinking how to make a buck off it.

Redwood Elf on January 08, 2020, 04:43:14 pm
My thinking is that generally most people in Bubbleopolis would have just two backups, an A/B arrangement, and keep them either at home or in a nearby vault.
So nobody has thought to set up a "New You, Inc" that would, for example, have a mind scanner in a flyer and would come to your house, do your backup, give you a copy, and take their copy to their central vault, and distribute additional copies to several other sites, at least one of which is off-world (With the Murphy-tech travel, it could literally be anywhere in the universe) and, if there was a major disaster like the space monkeys flinging space poop at your bubble, It would send out periodic alerts (Maybe once per day) with a countdown to all their customers in the area, detailing the disaster and inquiring as to their condition. Anyone who responds would stop getting the updates, and anyone who didn't respond when the countdown runs out (Say, a month) would be re-incarnated into a new body?

It seems like this kind of Permanent Life Insurance could be provided relatively inexpensively, since you're spreading the cost among all your customers, which would probably be the people who couldn't afford a brain scanner of their own.

Scott on January 09, 2020, 09:02:38 am
There's also the problem of people knowing where the deceased backup is stored i would think. Diane for instance might have had an offsite backup somewhere besides castle monty due to her past troubles with people stealing them might have them in an anonymous safe deposit box.

Respectfully Scott it appears like some things are post scarcity in your world setting. Nobody so far has tried to charge Diane for breathing their air for instance. In space that's not a given. Especially considering how humans cant stop breathing to go shopping around. Even the seedy cyberpunk slums in oz have free access to breathable air. It indicates that problem is somehow solved to such an extent that nobody is even thinking how to make a buck off it.

I haven't brought this up much in the story because there wasn't a good hook for it, but residents of the City do pay for their air, their water, for everything else.
Each sphere has an owner. The "Five Pillars" individually own most of them, but there are a few owned by others, or by partnerships. The sphere owner is responsible for maintaining clean, breathable air. People who own the individual buildings pay rent for space in the sphere, and for electrical power generated by the Borvonite material in the sphere. People who live in the buildings may own them or pay rent to the owners. People can get discounts on their rent by maintaining a certain amount of CO^2 eating, O^2 expelling plants. It really isn't that complicated.

UncleRice on January 09, 2020, 04:50:33 pm
I can see how half wits could be laboring to pay for their air, water, and such, but given near current day automation tech, anybody thinking strategically will have a fleet of bots tending to their needs via a commodities market system of abundance. Air & water is abundant in deep space. Hydrogen for fusion is abundant in deep space. Heavier elements are a bit buried, but are none the less available. This is known science in current day. Laziness and mental issues would be the only prevention for near post scarcity society. Life based food and decorations would be the "Gold" of their environment, simply because it is fragile and requires special levels of commitment.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Scott on January 14, 2020, 10:45:38 am
I can see how half wits could be laboring to pay for their air, water, and such, but given near current day automation tech, anybody thinking strategically will have a fleet of bots tending to their needs via a commodities market system of abundance. Air & water is abundant in deep space. Hydrogen for fusion is abundant in deep space. Heavier elements are a bit buried, but are none the less available. This is known science in current day. Laziness and mental issues would be the only prevention for near post scarcity society. Life based food and decorations would be the "Gold" of their environment, simply because it is fragile and requires special levels of commitment.

Just because things are cheap and easy to access doesn't mean they've arrived at "post-scarcity." There will always be some sort of scarcity. There's a difference between "abundant" and "limitless." Think of energy requirements. Think of time. Think of opportunity costs.

DrakBibliophile on January 14, 2020, 11:28:33 am
Nod.

Compared to earlier periods of history, today would be considered "post-scarcity".

Obviously we don't consider our time as "post-scarcity" and people in Scott's world wouldn't consider theirs as "post-scarcity".

Just because things are cheap and easy to access doesn't mean they've arrived at "post-scarcity." There will always be some sort of scarcity. There's a difference between "abundant" and "limitless." Think of energy requirements. Think of time. Think of opportunity costs.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Skull the Troll on January 15, 2020, 07:33:35 am

I haven't brought this up much in the story because there wasn't a good hook for it, but residents of the City do pay for their air, their water, for everything else.
Each sphere has an owner. The "Five Pillars" individually own most of them, but there are a few owned by others, or by partnerships. The sphere owner is responsible for maintaining clean, breathable air. People who own the individual buildings pay rent for space in the sphere, and for electrical power generated by the Borvonite material in the sphere. People who live in the buildings may own them or pay rent to the owners. People can get discounts on their rent by maintaining a certain amount of CO^2 eating, O^2 expelling plants. It really isn't that complicated.

So what happens if someone doesn't pay their air bill?

Scott on January 15, 2020, 08:36:16 am

So what happens if someone doesn't pay their air bill?

You mean, if they don't pay the rent for their domicile? (The "air bill" is wrapped up in that.) Pretty much the same as here. They get evicted. No, not ejected into vacuum. They might go to Pandemonium, or they might apply to one of the many beneficencias either for a loan to cover the rent or for passage to another world.

anything