customdesigned on July 21, 2020, 09:30:19 am
"No jails or prisons" - again like the Law of Moses.  All offenses were met with either restitution (pay back 4 times what you stole) or death.  If unable to make restitution, you become a slave (unpaid servant) for up to 6 years (until sabbath year).  However, with the advent of taxes to support the monarchy under King Saul, the sabbath year was abandoned and slaves became permanent.

The lesson of Judges was that the system decayed into monarchy.  You had judges becoming more and more powerful, e.g. Gideon with 70 sons all mounted on donkeys/asses.  That took a lot of wealth to support that many wives and the 1200BC equivalent of 70 sports cars.  It reminds me of the mayor of Whoville (Dr. Suess) with 99 children.  (Or maybe they were mostly adopted...)

The threat of a statist entity attacking Bubbleopolis is what led to King Saul.  Will we see Oresme become the first Queen?  Or just a powerful judge like Gideon?  Will the Bubble People say, "We want a King to be like other star systems!"

Apollo-Soyuz on July 22, 2020, 12:31:17 am
(page=2122) Since she's going to try to convince him to leave, (page=2122) let's hope Alex is smart enough to q-wave message for reinforcements while delaying Zondra as long as possible.

Cast a larger Oresme Shield so they can't Murphy-away, then send in reinforcements.

Easiest thing might be to just kill Alex Stern, but I guess she's going to try to convince him to escape instead. That makes Alex look like an agent of a foreign government.

customdesigned on July 22, 2020, 09:17:20 am
(page=2122) Since she's going to try to convince him to leave, (page=2122) let's hope Alex is smart enough to q-wave message for reinforcements while delaying Zondra as long as possible.

I wouldn't bet on Alex being smart if I were you ...  He seems like the trusting soul, but without the spiritual insight to trust the right people.

Apollo-Soyuz on July 22, 2020, 09:44:07 am

I wouldn't bet on Alex being smart if I were you ...  He seems like the trusting soul, but without the spiritual insight to trust the right people.

page=2068 on the other hand, he's had plenty of time to decide how to react to various scenarios.
I guess I'm rooting for a fictional character here.

>Stern: And to think I joined Relógio Céu so that my family and friends would be proud of me.

lurkergao on July 24, 2020, 01:45:07 pm
*Warhammer character voice* Apolo-Soyuz you are a master necromancer (of forum threads). It's really nice of the villains to give Alex this chance to exonerate himself. Presumeably this cell is being recorded. And he made the decision to stay put which would be difficult in a hopeless situation like this.

customdesigned on July 26, 2020, 06:06:00 pm
Presumeably this cell is being recorded. And he made the decision to stay put which would be difficult in a hopeless situation like this.

How did the 24x7 surveillance work out with Jeffrey Epstein? 

Apollo-Soyuz on July 26, 2020, 10:10:37 pm

2 cameras "malfunctioned" while the 2 guards who were suppose to make regular checks claim to have fell asleep, and other footage not specifically pointed at epstein was "accidentally" deleted. 

lurkergao on July 27, 2020, 11:32:39 am
Well in the epstein case it seems pretty obvious the prison administration was helping. In this case she's on her own. I am a bit surprised this ad hoc prison would be this lax tho vibe verse still has organized crime for instance. You cant sue away their assets if they dont officially own something.

2 cameras "malfunctioned" while the 2 guards who were suppose to make regular checks claim to have fell asleep, and other footage not specifically pointed at epstein was "accidentally" deleted. 

Sean Roach on July 28, 2020, 05:55:21 pm
I think the idea is that they're out of practice, in a sense, and don't remember how to jail a person. And I wouldn't be so certain that they are plagued with openly "hidden" assets. Just because our deliberately loopholed system has legal structures that let you hide assets, (or safeguard them...I'm starting to muse on gun trusts in this election year,) doesn't mean this society does.

Although, I don't find relying upon individuals sticking together to freeze another entity out to be all that workable. Just how many Wal-Marts were able to attract customers in towns that, supposedly, didn't want them there? Although, I suppose in a surveillance state, it might be easier to keep people from breaking ranks and doing business with someone who has been declared unwelcome, but that's an entirely different set of problems.

That said, the charter of Bubbleopolis could well have obligations to refuse business to anyone who fails to live up to the decision handed down by third party arbitration, with the necessary teeth that failure to abide by the terms gets you evicted.

Well in the epstein case it seems pretty obvious the prison administration was helping. In this case she's on her own. I am a bit surprised this ad hoc prison would be this lax tho vibe verse still has organized crime for instance. You cant sue away their assets if they dont officially own something.

UncleRice on July 29, 2020, 10:16:07 am
Implied from page=2032, Zondra has left the city so no chance to record her.

Maybe the bank account number could be used to trace Zondra, but If she was smart, she should have drained the account before she left the city. She should have also arranged to "meet" Alex in the targeted sphere, if she knew which one it was.

Of course it's entirely possible that Zondra has been left in the dark about the reason for her mission. Maybe the missle missed, and it was suppose to hit Alyss' former home sphere directly? The target very much could have been Alyss, and the aggressors acted on old information. 

I assume there aren't any customs, but maybe there is someway to track people who come and go to the city? You would think that wouldn't exist, but then again we were left with the impression that jails didn't exist here either.

Maybe Relógio Céu (Sky Clock) is a military organization with it's own extralegal justice system?

Just as Johnny Depp recorded Amber Heard, Alex should be recording his interactions with his blackmailer. At this point he has nothing to loose either way from making his own accusations toward her regardless of whether he recorded anything.
Once the attack happened. it was too late. The recordings should have begun immediately following the first black mailing demands.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Skull the Troll on July 30, 2020, 09:12:16 am
Implied from page=2032, Zondra has left the city so no chance to record her.

Maybe the bank account number could be used to trace Zondra, but If she was smart, she should have drained the account before she left the city. She should have also arranged to "meet" Alex in the targeted sphere, if she knew which one it was.

Of course it's entirely possible that Zondra has been left in the dark about the reason for her mission. Maybe the missle missed, and it was suppose to hit Alyss' former home sphere directly? The target very much could have been Alyss, and the aggressors acted on old information. 

I assume there aren't any customs, but maybe there is someway to track people who come and go to the city? You would think that wouldn't exist, but then again we were left with the impression that jails didn't exist here either.

Maybe Relógio Céu (Sky Clock) is a military organization with it's own extralegal justice system?

Just as Johnny Depp recorded Amber Heard, Alex should be recording his interactions with his blackmailer. At this point he has nothing to loose either way from making his own accusations toward her regardless of whether he recorded anything.
Once the attack happened. it was too late. The recordings should have begun immediately following the first black mailing demands.

Agreed. I still don't understand why he isn't just spilling his guts. He's looking guilty for genocide in order to cover up blackmail? Stupid.

Apollo-Soyuz on September 11, 2020, 10:17:36 pm
Well today's strip (page=2144) ought to be the end of (at least this body of) Alex Stern.

If Zondra's got a ship and she's believably a million light-years from any large clump of matter, only the infinite improbably drive could save him.

Someone in Pandemonium might have a backup, Alex might have a backup somewhere. I'm sure any memories beyond his legitimate backups are worth excluding anyway.

The one thing left is that Zondra didn't say anything about the blackmail, Because Alex did tell Shotah.

Zondra could have missed that in her scans, only concentrating on what Alex said about her to  Relógio Céu

Skull the Troll on September 12, 2020, 08:37:38 am
How much trouble was he in? None at all, and the worst kind possible. RIP dummy.

Redwood Elf on September 13, 2020, 11:03:24 am
How much trouble was he in? None at all, and the worst kind possible. RIP dummy.

Well at least he got his last act of defiance off.

customdesigned on September 16, 2020, 10:29:35 am

If Zondra's got a ship and she's believably a million light-years from any large clump of matter, only the infinite improbably drive could save him.

Is it improbable enough that Zondra dropped him off where Hugo and Murphy are appearing?

anything