UncleRice on September 09, 2020, 09:43:01 pm
As a Collectivist, I've always found this comic incredibly political, in that it states the only value a human has is their financial contribution. Otherwise, you're just grist for the mill.. or a guinea pig, maybe?

I dunno... I had absolutely no idea that this comic would end up so deep into "$$$ = value as a sentient being" territory.
This is ultimately the natural end point of any system that is devoid of a God that see humans as pets. Whether that system is Collectivist or Individualist, the value of any person ends up being equal to some variant of their personal wealth and power.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Redwood Elf on September 11, 2020, 10:10:58 am
As a Collectivist, I've always found this comic incredibly political, in that it states the only value a human has is their financial contribution. Otherwise, you're just grist for the mill.. or a guinea pig, maybe?

I dunno... I had absolutely no idea that this comic would end up so deep into "$$$ = value as a sentient being" territory.

Really? It seems to me that the talents and skills of the various characters are what determines their earning potential and thus the contribution they can make to the fictional society. It's not like the kids rescued from the "Robot utopia" planet were rolling in bucks when they arrived on the scene, and they seem to be doing alright.