Coyoty on October 14, 2019, 05:23:21 am
I'm assuming the conversation outside the courtroom is a dramatization for the benefit of the tabloid's viewers.  Unless reporters were eavesdropping, or Scott changed the narrative viewpoint on us.

DrakBibliophile on October 14, 2019, 08:27:24 am
Or if one of them later talked to Bok.  ;)

I'm assuming the conversation outside the courtroom is a dramatization for the benefit of the tabloid's viewers.  Unless reporters were eavesdropping, or Scott changed the narrative viewpoint on us.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Apollo-Soyuz on October 14, 2019, 04:59:57 pm
I'm confused. An "eavesdropper" would see a bunch of people gesturing wildly while the secure q-wave messages went back and forth.

I'm sure we're given the (static around the edge looking) thought bubbles because we're suppose to know at this point that the trial isn't going well for these guys, and there's again the mention of a secret plan.

DrakBibliophile on October 14, 2019, 07:27:54 pm
Well, "secure" may not be actually "secure".

Way back when, Seamus was concerned that his "secure" communications might be tapped into.

While secure communications might be better in the current day than they were when we first visited the Quantum Universe, means of listening into secure communications might also be improved.

Oh, I suspect that the "secret plan" was to take over Oz which likely isn't possible now.

As for how the "viewers" of Bok's show know what is being communicated (assuming that nobody is "listening" in) either one of these people told Bok later and/or one of them recorded the conversation which got into Bok's hands.

I'm confused. An "eavesdropper" would see a bunch of people gesturing wildly while the secure q-wave messages went back and forth.

I'm sure we're given the (static around the edge looking) thought bubbles because we're suppose to know at this point that the trial isn't going well for these guys, and there's again the mention of a secret plan.

Sean Roach on October 14, 2019, 08:34:16 pm
Well, "secure" may not be actually "secure".

Way back when, Seamus was concerned that his "secure" communications might be tapped into.

While secure communications might be better in the current day than they were when we first visited the Quantum Universe, means of listening into secure communications might also be improved.

Oh, I suspect that the "secret plan" was to take over Oz which likely isn't possible now.

As for how the "viewers" of Bok's show know what is being communicated (assuming that nobody is "listening" in) either one of these people told Bok later and/or one of them recorded the conversation which got into Bok's hands.

That...entirely possible. In "The Probability Broach", which used to be here, one of the members of the conspiracy had a change of heart near the very end while watching test footage of nuclear bombs. It's possible that one of these four will have an epiphany regarding just what they were trying to do to everyone "for their own good". I was going to suggest maybe the conehead cop, Belbenoit, but we know he was one of the ones who left afterwards from Diana's interview. Maybe the lawyer, Miller, or Mitch, whoever he is.

It's also possible that the communications were copied in their entirety and cracked later, either by extracting the session key from one of these four, possibly under duress, or perhaps Zander does something that means he'll never have to concern himself with the threat of having to live in the slums again, like finding a general solution to the then-current encryption scheme, or shortcuts that turn it from taking an average of ten times the current age of the universe on a current computer to crack, to merely a few weeks on a current computer, and less if you can gang them.
It'll be even more fun if it's found to be a flaw that is unique to implants made by DeCastries corporation, or to specs laid down by the RPLD, which have a deliberate back-door, and dual-key escrow system, to get in and do whatever you like without the owner ever being aware. Such a revelation might just, er Clipper little plan to spy on everyone through the things right in the bud.

I know puns are the lowest form of humor, but I wanted to reference back to something that is probably taken as "Ancient History" now, and that being (one of) our own governments attempts (back in the 90's) to get everyone using compromised encryption over the good stuff.

Edit. Typo.

Edit 2 because I just didn't want to resist...
It's quite the Enigma why we keep putting up with these clowns. You don't have to be in the upper Echelon to know they're up to no good. We have Massive Data showing this time and again. Truly, the cost of freedom is eternal vigilance.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:01:07 pm by Sean Roach »

Apollo-Soyuz on October 14, 2019, 11:27:58 pm
Ah, I had forgotten we were inside Bok's "Doc"

Well "breaking the fourth wall" doesn't necessarily mean a character in a play has to stop and addresses the audience... at least according to wikipedia. Maybe there is a more exact term for this. "Dramatic irony" doesn't seem right.

lurkergao on October 16, 2019, 01:09:11 am
I don't think Bok's doc is privy to these conversations (unless we have bok actually mention them or how he came upon them). I think you can think of this as a Non-diegetic scene that isn't in Bok's Doc. Though considering that this conversation probably DID happen in the story's world it's also at the same time a diegetic scene. How avante garde.

Scott on October 21, 2019, 07:42:31 pm
Those private conversations were related to Bok by one of the participants. Maybe we'll find out which ones. Maybe not.

DrakBibliophile on October 21, 2019, 08:30:40 pm
 :)

Those private conversations were related to Bok by one of the participants. Maybe we'll find out which ones. Maybe not.