DrakBibliophile on August 07, 2019, 05:12:16 pm
https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1987

Minor thought.

In an universe where people have the ability to "converse" electronically, I found it interesting that Diana could eaves-drop on the conversation of the "bad guys" and their lawyer (no matter how big her ears are).

Still, I did decide the procedures in the arbitration hearing might forbid "electronic talking".  ;)
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Sean Roach on August 08, 2019, 04:49:35 pm
https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1987

Minor thought.

In an universe where people have the ability to "converse" electronically, I found it interesting that Diana could eaves-drop on the conversation of the "bad guys" and their lawyer (no matter how big her ears are).

Still, I did decide the procedures in the arbitration hearing might forbid "electronic talking".  ;)

I can think of two other possibilities.
  • They forgot they had a potential audience, and forgot to take precautions.
  • Communication, of that sort, requires a level of trust that the person you're conversing with hasn't acquired an exploit that you aren't patched against, and won't bore your brain out and turn you into a meat puppet.
Imagine a buffer overflow exploit applied to technological telepathy and you start playing around with technological mind control, and these people ALREADY KNOW the others are not above doing that.

Apollo-Soyuz on August 08, 2019, 11:33:50 pm
How about "not allowed in a court room, to keep someone from being prompted while testifying"?

DrakBibliophile on August 09, 2019, 12:05:29 am
Agree.

How about "not allowed in a court room, to keep someone from being prompted while testifying"?
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Apollo-Soyuz on August 09, 2019, 09:16:04 pm
My apologies for speed-reading and skipping the end of your first comment.

Agree.

lurkergao on August 13, 2019, 10:57:25 am
An e-telepath virus would be bad. But the possiblity real world vulnerabilities doesnt stop people from messaging on their smart phone for instance. My take on it: incredibly arrogant rich people. There is no reason alyss for instance doesnt have super cyborg hearing as well as other people in court including the arbitriters. These men enjoyed Epstein levels of influence and protection until suddenly they didnt. I find it interesting they didnt get the death penalty as this is essentially pretty close to high treason. Wonder how this society deals with serial killers..

Sean Roach on August 16, 2019, 03:13:36 pm
An e-telepath virus would be bad. But the possiblity real world vulnerabilities doesnt stop people from messaging on their smart phone for instance. My take on it: incredibly arrogant rich people. There is no reason alyss for instance doesnt have super cyborg hearing as well as other people in court including the arbitriters. These men enjoyed Epstein levels of influence and protection until suddenly they didnt. I find it interesting they didnt get the death penalty as this is essentially pretty close to high treason. Wonder how this society deals with serial killers..

One, probably not too many serial killers survive. That is, when the targets aren't helpless, and aware of the risk, serial killers probably only get a small handful of trophies before they run into someone who is, or has contracted for, the ability to stop them cold.

Two, I'd imagine they'd be cut off. This puts them in a position that they have no allies to call. After this, they could either starve, leave, or be killed. One could, I suppose, declare a "private war". All of us against the one of you. If they've burned all bridges, so they have no assurance, no backup, no friends, they could be hunted down and killed with impunity. This is close to my understanding of the meaning of "Outlaw". No law to protect you.

anything