UncleRice on April 05, 2019, 08:01:57 am
Ok, she got him on the defensive to the point of him running away, but what is "MEPS?"
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Redwood Elf on April 05, 2019, 10:26:36 am
Well, quick web search comes up with "Military Entrance Processing Station" - this seems unlikely to be what he's referring to.
Also "Medical Expenditure Panel Survey" - also unlikely
"MEP"s is some kind of cabinet position in europe? I think? - Nope.

My guess it's a kind of futurespeak for "no comment"

macnut on April 05, 2019, 11:01:16 am
Yeah, I'm thinking Diana's going to need to call on the protection of all those other mercenaries Real Soon Now. And she'd better hope that none of them have been bought by the other side.

EDIT: To clear up what I meant by the above, Diana just did some major tree-shaking by upsetting Senhor Conehead here. If he is indeed in on the conspiracy she's investigating, then his response to this is likely to put an even bigger target on her back. Hence, her likely needing more protection.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 05:47:50 pm by macnut »
The MacNut, Creator of the superhero space opera webcomic The Vanguard

DrakBibliophile on April 05, 2019, 01:23:28 pm
Can't remember where I've seen it but I believe that I've seen "meps" used in cartoons as a "oh-sh*t" expression which matches the context of its use here.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

jmsr on April 05, 2019, 09:31:04 pm
Ok, she got him on the defensive to the point of him running away, but what is "MEPS?"

It's probably contraction of a portanglish expression, so who knows.  We'll have to wait for a character to explain it. Doesn't sound good though.

Coyoty on April 07, 2019, 06:59:37 am
"MEPS!" is what Coneheads cry in distress or anger, in the Saturday Night Live sketches and movie.

Apollo-Soyuz on April 07, 2019, 09:35:18 pm
Wanna bump the homage thread, or shall I?

"MEPS!" is what Coneheads cry in distress or anger, in the Saturday Night Live sketches and movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGv-zFXffg4

It's a little hard to find the old SNL conehead clips, but this clip has a couple MEPS in it.  It's also in the wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coneheads

Apparently the 1993 film was a flop. I think I last saw it around 1995 or so.