Coyoty on January 16, 2019, 05:35:23 am
I'm not sure Wook is joking.  In a world where body modification appears to have few limits, that could include size.  People could become doll-sized to live in doll houses.  Diana is still relatively new to Oz, and may not have learned about who I expect would be called Dollies.

UncleRice on January 16, 2019, 07:17:55 am
There is also the possibility of remote bodies.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Apollo-Soyuz on January 16, 2019, 07:52:43 am
https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1785

I get the vibe from this strip that Portanglish may not be Areaum's 1st language.

Wook may be in the same boat.

DrakBibliophile on January 16, 2019, 09:57:04 am
IMO Remote bodies are very much more likely than doll-sized biological people. On the grounds that a biological brain large enough for human level intelligence has to be much larger than a doll's head and needs a much larger body to support it.

Yes, there are plenty advances in body-modification in this story-universe but I suspect that there are biological limits to what can be done.

There is also the possibility of remote bodies.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Skull the Troll on January 18, 2019, 01:24:34 pm
Hard to say for sure. Remember Carl Hendry? His head was much smaller than a humans. Of course his brain could have been housed in his torso, but really with a world this advanced I dont think theres much way for us to say whats possible until it appears in the strip.

Coyoty on January 20, 2019, 05:42:45 am
Hard to say for sure. Remember Carl Hendry? His head was much smaller than a humans. Of course his brain could have been housed in his torso, but really with a world this advanced I dont think theres much way for us to say whats possible until it appears in the strip.

You're misremembering.  Carl's head wasn't prohibitively small.  https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=821

Skull the Troll on January 20, 2019, 09:47:11 pm

You're misremembering.  Carl's head wasn't prohibitively small.  https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=821

I don't, know in the last panel its seems to be about 1/4 the size braincase as Seamus'. That said, theres no real way of knowing for certain. panel by panel and strip by strip its seems to shift to some extent. Also his brain isn't necessarily in his head.

Coyoty on January 21, 2019, 05:43:38 am
That white area is his neck and chest.  It's not empty space.  Look carefully at the last panel.

I don't, know in the last panel its seems to be about 1/4 the size braincase as Seamus'. That said, theres no real way of knowing for certain. panel by panel and strip by strip its seems to shift to some extent. Also his brain isn't necessarily in his head.

UncleRice on January 21, 2019, 09:18:39 am
If you are going to change the size of a brain or alter a body that much, changing the shape of the brain to fit bodies of odd dimensions would not be out of reason.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

0z79 on January 21, 2019, 03:55:40 pm
I think I read about this on Orion's Arm.. in that setting, "pixies" need external storage due to limited space for a brain, in such a tiny body.

And... found it. They're the Nisse. https://orionsarm.com/eg-article/47f42fd2915ba

UncleRice on January 22, 2019, 05:48:43 am
I don't know if you could do it very well without FTL communication, but I could see a planctronic brain being embedded in the doll house and the dolls function as bodies. Potentially, even the body of Hayami found murdered could have just been a puppet body "murdered" by her own doll bodies.

Skull the Troll on January 23, 2019, 10:17:01 am
All possibly true points. My only thought is there just isn't enough information to decide if sentient creatures can be made small. Perhaps the best evidence that they cant is that we haven't seen any.

UncleRice on January 23, 2019, 11:14:33 am
I wonder if Diane could take ownership of the "doll house." It looks suspiciously like a device of some kind. She need to get Alyss Rose to look it over.

Apollo-Soyuz on January 23, 2019, 07:51:04 pm
Alyss is still owed a massive judgment from Hayami, If she thinks about it, they can probably get it. I don't think Monty would be happy if it just waltzed in to the house without being scanned.

I wonder if Diane could take ownership of the "doll house." It looks suspiciously like a device of some kind. She need to get Alyss Rose to look it over.

UncleRice on January 24, 2019, 07:13:28 am
Alyss is still owed a massive judgment from Hayami, If she thinks about it, they can probably get it. I don't think Monty would be happy if it just waltzed in to the house without being scanned.

Well, I don't think it will fit in Diane's car anyway, so having Monty arrange transport will fix that.