Redwood Elf on January 07, 2016, 03:51:03 pm
So, they're no longer technically *in* the redoubt as a whole. That'll give the corbots a few fried circuits . . .
Robogov knows about jump drives.

And clearly they don't have any Oresme shields up.

Bob G on January 07, 2016, 08:58:20 pm
So, they're no longer technically *in* the redoubt as a whole. That'll give the corbots a few fried circuits . . .

But they won't have anticipated there being a Murphy-drive ship secreted in an abandoned mine. What with no one having been observed leaving the diggings, they're expecting to round up a handful of cowed, defenseless people and will find the headless chassis of their scout and no meatsacks.

I wonder if Nicole left the corbots a Barbarossa-style parting gift.

That sinking feeling in your gut doesn't mean you're dropping, darling. You're in orbit.

OK, not so much in orbit as, "To the Moon, Alyss!" Though I s'poze the moon is in orbit around Zytemonde, so I'm not completely off-base.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:52:08 am by Bob G »
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

Redwood Elf on January 08, 2016, 10:16:00 am
Now we have a ST:Voy Reference:  The Doctor
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 10:18:13 am by Redwood Elf »

Scott on January 08, 2016, 10:33:21 am

OK, not so much in orbit as, "To the Moon, Alyss!" Though I s'poze the moon is in orbit around Zytemonde, so I'm not completely off-base.

Actually, Zytemonde is a moon, orbiting a gas giant. But you'll find out where they went soon.

PeterH on January 08, 2016, 11:14:13 am
Did they devise a shortcut to frame of motion matching when making jumps?

Bob G on January 09, 2016, 09:56:53 am

Actually, Zytemonde is a moon, orbiting a gas giant. But you'll find out where they went soon.

Can a moon have a moon? I'd suppose not for very long; the orbital dynamics would be very tricky. Still. our Luna has several active satellites orbiting her. I imagine their long-term viability is questionable.

Besides, the statement was actually meant in jest. Low-grav environment, protagonist named Alyss - it was just screaming for a Kramden quote. Actually much more likely to be a stealthed orbiting satellite/ship (the old Staisiun Greasai/Brigid?), though it could just as well be a celestial body in another system entirely. I'm not Vesta'ed in any of the alternatives, so I will wait patiently for the reveal.

DrakBibliophile on January 09, 2016, 10:37:31 pm
My guess is that they're on another moon of the gas giant that Zytemonde orbits.

I'm thinking that Alyss would want a "main" base near Zytemonde and it might be more unnoticeable to the AI's running Zytemonde if it was on a natural moon of the gas giant.

An artificial satellite might be noticed.

Can a moon have a moon? I'd suppose not for very long; the orbital dynamics would be very tricky. Still. our Luna has several active satellites orbiting her. I imagine their long-term viability is questionable.

Besides, the statement was actually meant in jest. Low-grav environment, protagonist named Alyss - it was just screaming for a Kramden quote. Actually much more likely to be a stealthed orbiting satellite/ship (the old Staisiun Greasai/Brigid?), though it could just as well be a celestial body in another system entirely. I'm not Vesta'ed in any of the alternatives, so I will wait patiently for the reveal.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Bob G on January 11, 2016, 05:33:43 pm
My guess is that they're on another moon of the gas giant that Zytemonde orbits.

I'm thinking that Alyss would want a "main" base near Zytemonde and it might be more unnoticeable to the AI's running Zytemonde if it was on a natural moon of the gas giant.

An artificial satellite might be noticed.

Well Mr. Howard, I'm thinking you have a winner there, if for no other reason than that it tends to adhere to the K.I.S.S. principle. Though I suspect that with the bleeding edge stealthing tech available to NicoleAlyss, the technoFuddy corbots wouldn't be able to find her ship/satellite base with both hands and a magnifying glass (or in this case, a telescope).

UncleRice on January 12, 2016, 08:51:12 am

I imagine it would be simple enough to find a rock of sufficient size, hollow it out, and nudge it into a reasonable stable geosynchronous orbit to serve as a base for the duration.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Redwood Elf on January 12, 2016, 09:43:07 am
Given that the Murphy Drive has basically unlimited range, the base could be anywhere in the universe.

customdesigned on January 12, 2016, 02:08:17 pm
Given that the Murphy Drive has basically unlimited range, the base could be anywhere in the universe.
Not really, the precision of the jump drops with distance (and maybe with gravity wells).  The range is unlimited, but the practical range isn't.  In a real emergency, you could have something like the "teleport" button in the old robots game.  It would take you *really* far away, making it very difficult for your enemies to find you.  There is a risk of popping somewhere lethal (sun, gas giant, black hole, etc), but the chances are reasonably low given the predominance of "empty" space.  There is also a chance of not being able to figure out where you are (and thus ever get home again).  This would be a great segue to a Robinson Crusoe story in the Quantum Vibe universe.

Back in the '70s, I wrote a text mode multiplayer game called SpaceWar.  It deliberately used 32bit floating point for the coordinates of objects (only bases and ships and torpedoes  - only 10 K per player to play with).   You could often escape from a battle, but if running took you too far from the center of the universe, you would get "lost" in the round off errors (warp drive contribution becomes insignificant compared to coordinate values), and rarely ever find your way home again.

DrakBibliophile on January 12, 2016, 08:52:02 pm
Agree.

Of course, we're talking about a Larry Niven "telephone booth" teleporter, not a starship.

Jumping from one booth to another booth would be tricky even in the same star system, but jumping from one booth to another booth in a different star system would be extremely hard.

Especially if there's no FTL communications in the Quantum Vibe universe.

One error and the people jumping from one booth may "land" in outer space or worse inside a planet/moon.  :(

Not really, the precision of the jump drops with distance (and maybe with gravity wells).  The range is unlimited, but the practical range isn't.  In a real emergency, you could have something like the "teleport" button in the old robots game.  It would take you *really* far away, making it very difficult for your enemies to find you.  There is a risk of popping somewhere lethal (sun, gas giant, black hole, etc), but the chances are reasonably low given the predominance of "empty" space.  There is also a chance of not being able to figure out where you are (and thus ever get home again).  This would be a great segue to a Robinson Crusoe story in the Quantum Vibe universe.

Back in the '70s, I wrote a text mode multiplayer game called SpaceWar.  It deliberately used 32bit floating point for the coordinates of objects (only bases and ships and torpedoes  - only 10 K per player to play with).   You could often escape from a battle, but if running took you too far from the center of the universe, you would get "lost" in the round off errors (warp drive contribution becomes insignificant compared to coordinate values), and rarely ever find your way home again.

Tucci78 on January 12, 2016, 09:13:17 pm

Might could be that what they've got up as Oresme shields is old technology which robogov thinks is effective, and that which Alyss has brought to this encounter is nth generation tech capable of side-stepping their defenses. 
"I is a great believer in peaceful settlements," Jik-jik assured him. "Ain't nobody as peaceful as a dead trouble-maker."
-- Keith Laumer, Retief's War (1966)

DrakBibliophile on January 12, 2016, 10:47:48 pm
Agree.

Before Venus 23 started, there was a scene with Nicole talking about the people trying to find ways to "bypass" the Oresme shields along with her daughter(?) trying to improve the Oresme shield to prevent such bypasses.

That "game" of "bypassing defenses & improving defenses" has likely continued.

By shutting itself off from the rest of the galaxy, Robogov's Oresme shields are out-of-date and would be easily bypassed.

Might could be that what they've got up as Oresme shields is old technology which robogov thinks is effective, and that which Alyss has brought to this encounter is nth generation tech capable of side-stepping their defenses.

Geezer on January 13, 2016, 08:55:20 am
Still wondering what happened to Lorri. If she was a corbot in a meat-sack, the scale is all wrong unless there is some sort of cloaking/illusion device available. Also, not sure if a corbot would have had such a look of satisfaction when booting Diana down the stairs. If not a corbot, how did she avoid the corbot that did come into the redoubt after her?