Mike Mordant on March 30, 2007, 07:05:10 am
Frank: Another Texan, cool!  RE: mammalian tanks, your comment reminded me of a bit of armadillo trivia:  Seems that, back in 1930's, a Florida service station owner was visiting texas when he saw his first armadillo.  Since his business had one of those "road-side" zoos to bring in extra money, he took a breeding pair back and installed them as the new premier exhibit.  Unfortunately, he didin't know, or wasn't told about their subterranian habits and put them in a simple wood framed chicken wire cage with a dirt floor.

About two days later, he had a fresh tunnel in the ground and no prize attractions anymore.  This pair is credited with creating the armadillo menace in Florida, which still destroys golf courses today!   Armadillos are native to the US/Mexico West of the Mississippi River, but not east ward.

Don't know if the story is true, but it sounds good :).

I'm a fifth generation Anglo Floridian.  I've heard a couple of versions of that story and believe that it could be true.  A fair number of non-native birds and primates were introduced the same way.  Just about anything seems to thrive there.

I'm temporarily relocated to  a wooded "mountain" in Alabama and there are  armadillos here too.  They must be migratory?
One things for certain, they are pests not pets.

Apparently in Alabama a steep hill that's about 1400 feet above sea level qualifies as a mountain.

wdg3rd on March 30, 2007, 10:03:53 am

I'm temporarily relocated to  a wooded "mountain" in Alabama and there are  armadillos here too.  They must be migratory?
One things for certain, they are pests not pets.

Apparently in Alabama a steep hill that's about 1400 feet above sea level qualifies as a mountain.

Nothing unusual about that.  New Jersey seems to be proud of its "High Point" at 1803 feet.  So proud of it that they imported New Hampshire granite to add a 220 foot tower at the peak.  The last couple of glaciations really scoured this state down.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

wdg3rd on March 30, 2007, 10:49:15 am
Pat Frank was in reality Henry Hart the writer.  Funny since "Alas Babylon" was by far his greatest work, you would have thought he would have wanted to get credit for it.

Well, he's been dead since five years after the book was published, maybe he never got around to it.

Read a total of two novels by Pat Frank, had never heard of Henry Hart and can't see too much evidence that Amazon.com has either.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Frank is a bit sparse.

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Rocketman on March 30, 2007, 03:45:05 pm
I did not know that Henry Hart was actually Henry Hart Frank.  Learn something new every day.  ;D

Sphynx on March 30, 2007, 07:15:25 pm
And if there's not just one lamviin in Texas, but a breeding trio....

HEY! Speaking of biology, why isn't our Lam Professor drowning?  He does't appear to bewaring a skinsuit or filmsuit (the last is a possible), yet even based on the discussions in Their Majesties Bucketeers and Tom Paine Maru, the Roswell area would be way to humid at 10 - 25% RH.  As I remember it, ARH for Greater Foddu {sp?} is what?  Around 1 - 3% except during the semi-annuall drizzles?

A sodde-lydfan-formed Mars would be easier than terraforming it, less water required.  My only continuity sustaining guess is some equivalent of a flmsuit, over the nostrils, to de-humidify the breathed air?

---
Zen:  As to breeding aliens, this is why Benard Gruenblum was happy to only have 3 Freenies, since it takes 17 to complete the circle of life  :o

wdg3rd on March 30, 2007, 10:58:47 pm
He may be wearing a smartsuit.  Recall that they have serious camoflauge capability.  Hell, from that far in the future, he might be wearing a brightsuit.

Scott on April 10, 2007, 10:49:27 pm
I'm a bit surprised that all the armadillo-knowledgeable people here didn't notice that "Wally" is not a Texas armadillo. The 9-banded armadillos native to Texas and Mexico do not curl up in balls. The 3-banded 'dillos from South America do that. Velma likes exotic pets.

I'm not sure whether a 3-banded 'dillo would actually make a suitable pet. Most likely not. But this is just a story, folks.

Rocketman on April 15, 2007, 01:37:32 pm
"Scout" comics which I don't think is even published anymore used to have a cowboy sidekick (I can only remember that the guy made a big deal of graduating from Marshall University) that had a post apocalypse
armadillo that had mutated from the radiation to the size of a small horse which he sometimes rode around on.  I remember thinking that having one that size would be way cool.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 01:39:53 pm by Rocketman »

archy on April 27, 2007, 04:30:47 pm
Uhh... just where does a Lam holster their gats? Before 340, Professor was waving around a trio of hardware; but, in 340, Prof was making the 'Hook 'em, horns!" Gesture of Universal Greeting (well, universal to all but Aggies, anyhoo).  Where'd the equalizers go?

In his ka'pauga, no doubt!
Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

anything