Sphynx on March 16, 2007, 08:36:57 am
I'll get us started this week:  WOW!

First a lam makes his appearance, from under a tarp, no less (how Independence Day].  Well, at least this makes it easy to explain how he learned English (or should that be Texican?).  I have to admit, I've always had a soft spot for Mymysiir Offe Woom and Agot Edmoot Mav.  Anyone got a clue as to where this herd of cats is going?  (Scott, Frank, I know y'all do, kindly leave us to our speculation, its all the entertainment some of us get.)

Rocketman on March 16, 2007, 05:24:33 pm
The first question that I want asked is if he came from 300 years in the future how did he not know that he was going to be shot down in the first place?   ???

delphidb96 on March 16, 2007, 06:20:49 pm
Simple.

He *THOUGHT* he was going to just hover and record the *real* Roswell Incident.   ;D

Derek

The first question that I want asked is if he came from 300 years in the future how did he not know that he was going to be shot down in the first place?   ???

Sphynx on March 16, 2007, 07:41:54 pm
Derek - Alternate hypothesis:  Like Bernie Gruenblum, maybe GOKK was hijacked, or abducted, by the little green men we've only seen as corpses in Lt. Roddenberry's gun camera footage.  Since they conform to the classic "alien" physiognomy: Small, thin, short bodies, over-sized heads with large eyes, long fingers, those "guys" appear as alien as a lamvin.  Do you really think they're human?

delphidb96 on March 16, 2007, 07:51:57 pm
Of *COURSE* I do!!!  Our government would *NEVER* lie to us, now would they?  ;D

Derek

Derek - Alternate hypothesis:  Like Bernie Gruenblum, maybe GOKK was hijacked, or abducted, by the little green men we've only seen as corpses in Lt. Roddenberry's gun camera footage.  Since they conform to the classic "alien" physiognomy: Small, thin, short bodies, over-sized heads with large eyes, long fingers, those "guys" appear as alien as a lamvin.  Do you really think they're human?

KiloSeven on March 16, 2007, 10:11:10 pm
Uhh... just where does a Lam holster their gats? Before 340, Professor was waving around a trio of hardware; but, in 340, Prof was making the 'Hook 'em, horns!" Gesture of Universal Greeting (well, universal to all but Aggies, anyhoo).  Where'd the equalizers go?
--
"We're not living in a simulation. We're living in a collaborative SF novel... and now, of course, it's Philip K. Dick's turn.  In a back room somewhere, Vernor Vinge and George Orwell are currently arguing about who gets to take over in 2025." (Ross Smith)   K7AAY PDX OR USA TERRA

Rocketman on March 16, 2007, 10:35:54 pm
Presumably, the lamvin would use two sets of their 3 legs for locomotion and the the 3rd would be for the same purpose as we use arms for when they would not have to run very fast.  Given that they could use the two not being used as arms as shoulder holsters criss crossed across the body to hold them together.  However that would only explain 2 of the 3 guns.  Which asks another question, namely why was he using 1947 era firearms when he should have access to 2247 A.D. weaponary?  The weapons he's holding resemble a 19th century Colt SAA, a Browning HP and a Colt Model 1911A1.  All good solid weaponary but if it was me I'de prefer a phaser pistol or at least something would hold a few more shots before it needed reloading.

KiloSeven on March 17, 2007, 11:09:45 am
Presumably, the lamvin would use two sets of their 3 legs for locomotion and the the 3rd would be for the same purpose as we use arms for when they would not have to run very fast.  Given that they could use the two not being used as arms as shoulder holsters criss crossed across the body to hold them together. 

I don' see no holsters.

However that would only explain 2 of the 3 guns.  Which asks another question, namely why was he using 1947 era firearms when he should have access to 2247 A.D. weaponary?  The weapons he's holding resemble a 19th century Colt SAA, a Browning HP and a Colt Model 1911A1.  All good solid weaponary but if it was me I'de prefer a phaser pistol or at least something would hold a few more shots before it needed reloading.

Why, every good Scout knows that answer: "Leave your camp grounds as clean as you found 'em."  Walther-Zeiss or other titanmongery of advanced non-projectile nature would leave contra-chrono evidence; whereas, if he sweeps up his handprints and can repair, collect his ship (presumably named Dora, since El Neil is traditional about his Celebrity Bowling) and depart, use of local ironmongery is not incongruous to evidence collectors.

Picking up said ironmongery is presumed easy, if 'most everybody faints or hurls upon meeting.  I also presume he's leaving an appropriate compensation at market price in ounces of .999 fine, assuming he's the ethical variety of Marsican (Martian Texan) (or is it Lam-Tex?) for said ironmongery.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 07:26:00 pm by KiloSeven »
--
"We're not living in a simulation. We're living in a collaborative SF novel... and now, of course, it's Philip K. Dick's turn.  In a back room somewhere, Vernor Vinge and George Orwell are currently arguing about who gets to take over in 2025." (Ross Smith)   K7AAY PDX OR USA TERRA

Rocketman on March 17, 2007, 04:38:32 pm
KiloSeven:
     I stand corrected.  It is clear after a close examination that the Lamvin is using an inside the pants holster(s)
to carry his guns.  In fact it shows 2 of the three in the holsters.  It must be an interesting trick getting his pants on in the morning.  While I don't completely agree with your comment concerning why he's using 1947 weaponary in place of a HEL (high energy laser) or a PEG (Particle Energy Gun) it does make a certain amount of sense.  However I would like to offer another possible explaination.  He did have some exotic weaponary in the Cronoship but they were damaged in the crash forcing him to borrow the guns that he now has from Bette.   ;D

Zen Redneck on March 18, 2007, 09:49:41 am
Just wait.  The truth is out there.

sehlat on March 21, 2007, 05:23:09 pm
I don't understand the revulsion at the sight of a Lamviin. After all, he still puts his pants one leg at a time. It just takes him 300 percent longer.  :P

Sphynx on March 21, 2007, 07:51:02 pm
1. Kilo7 & Rocketman: I re-examined 340, I don't think he's using any holsters, just fabric tension: i.e. the original inside the pants carry.  as to where the Colt Model of 1873 (I don't think it could be called a Single Action Army, since I understand that Colt immigrated to the Republic, and therefore no USAA contract).  The one potential I can think of, based on the "securing" of the other guns, would be directly between the eyes, behind the upraised foot-hand.

Remember: Lam mouths are the dome on the top of the carapace, therefore, all foot-hands can be raised & rotated to pass objects up to the mouth.

Traditionally, per Their Majesties Bucketeers, lam strap thier holsters under the carapace between pairs of foot-hands.

Rocketman: as to the "missing" modern hardware, I'm sticking with the kidnapped/hijacked theory, he was snatched by the Little Green Men, and had been disarmed.
-----------------------
Sehlat:  I'm with you, if its sentient, peaceful, and not trying to kill me, what's the big problem.  In this case the authors may be showing Eliot Ness's underlying bigotry, speciocentrism, take your pick.  Or they may be showing aspects of L-o-A's character or changing attitudes.

Rocketman on March 22, 2007, 12:43:39 am
Sphynx:
     Because of the shape of the pant tops I just figured that pants with enough tension to hold at least 2 firearms would need a inside the pants holsters, otherwise they would slide down because of his side body shape.  I could be wrong but that was my thinking at the time that I wrote the original piece.  As far as the "little green guys" couldn't they be lifeless automatons that would handle ship functions?  Think of Commander Data.   :D

Rocketman on March 22, 2007, 12:50:07 am
One way to think of Lawrence's acceptance of the Lamvim over Ness's would be to understand that Lawrence has seen and done a lot of things that Ness has not which might more practically account for Ness's "racist" attitude.  I wonder how, for example, Ness would have handled Lawrence eating sheep eyes (an arab delicacy) in front of him.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:30:10 pm by Rocketman »

KiloSeven on March 23, 2007, 09:19:25 am
<snip>
As far as the "little green guys" couldn't they be lifeless automatons that would handle ship functions?  Think of Commander Data.   :D
Data's pretty darned lively, pardner.
Maybe they'se Explorer Scouts, along for the ride?
Or, they be undergrads, there on an extra-credit field trip?
Folks die, sad but true; better those who shuffle off their mortal coils be spear carriers from a race not know for its defense of liberty.
--