Zeppflyer on March 12, 2007, 10:16:50 pm
So, in an otherwise awesome story, I have to find one nit to pick.  Washington cannot be fairly vilified in this manner.  Certainly he was Federalist scum, but he stands head and shoulders above the average for leaders of revolutions.  The man could have become a complete dictator instead of beginning what was, at the time, the lightest, freest, most responsive  government on the planet.  Was the Whiskey Rebellion a major blot on his record?  Yes, of course.  But even in that, he did far better than most men in similar situations.  (Pardoning just about everyone instead of holding mass executions, for instance.)

At any rate, the man rightly deserves accolades.  Not a firing squad.

Comments?

Rocketman on March 13, 2007, 03:00:31 am
I have pointed out in another post that individuals are almost never either totally bad or totally good.  As bad as libertarians regard Alexander Hamilton today we have to acknowledge that he fought the British bravely during the American Revolution as an artillery officer.  We have to acknowledge that Lincoln for all of his civil liberties violations did order the slaves in the south freed by issuing the Emancipation Proclamation and sought to heal the wounds between the North and South before he died when others around him were calling for severe penalties.  To be fair to any historical figure you have to look at all the pluses and minuses before you say that his man (or woman) was a credit to humanity or a curse.  Although I will grant you that some are easier to say one way or another.  :(
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 03:02:19 am by Rocketman »

anything