mellyrn on June 14, 2014, 07:58:37 am
Hi, guys.  Searches aren't turning up anything useful, so I figured this forum here is a fine repository of minds who may know stuff like this:

The sun (whole solar system, of course) moves around the galaxy.  Question:  what is the orientation of the sun wrt to its direction of travel?  Is solar north pointing ahead, or behind, or off at some angle?  Alternatively phrased, what is the orientation of the planets' orbital plane to the direction of solar system travel?  I've seen some pretty animations where the plane is perpendicular to the direction the system is traveling, but I don't know where they got that info.  For all I know the system could be flying along like a Frisbee, with Earth sometimes "ahead" of the Sun and sometimes trailing, as the Moon, orbiting the Earth as she orbits the Sun is sometimes ahead and sometimes trailing.

?

Redwood Elf on June 27, 2014, 11:03:00 am
The Galactic disc is approximately 60 degrees off from the plane of the ecliptic, and it's roughly centered on the Earth's rotational axis, extending from about 15 degrees north of the equator to 15 degrees south of the equator.

Can't be 100% sure of that data, since it's from Wrong-o-pedia and may have been edited by a crosseyed baboon at some point, but presumably if it was way off, someone with better knowledge of astronomy would have fixed it.