RobbinR on January 14, 2013, 06:00:38 pm

Being relatively new to the forums, I'm not certain it is appropriate to post this here,
but after some looking around, I don't see any other place to do it.
There may well be such a place, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, I'm curious if any of you have been following another Sci-Fi graphic novel named...

Wayward Sons

?

Redwood Elf on January 14, 2013, 07:39:06 pm
yeah, but I'd call that more science fantasy, since it deals more with superpowers than technology...Kind of "Elfquest meets Wild Cards"

Norman on January 14, 2013, 07:42:44 pm
I check up on it intermittantly.  I'm still not sure if the big flashforward is going to work out or not.  As it is, I feel there were too many plot threads left hanging in the Bronze Age, and the Information Age setup seems to be Alternative History rather than the Secret History of the BA segment.

I'm not sure if this is the right place either.  The best option I can see, Talk Amongst Y'selves [http://forum.bigheadpress.com/index.php?board=10.0], says "General discussion of Big Head Press Stories", which this isn't ^_^

Tucci78 on January 15, 2013, 04:51:02 am
Being relatively new to the forums, I'm not certain it is appropriate to post this here, but after some looking around, I don't see any other place to do it. There may well be such a place, but I couldn't find it.

The "place" is Talk Amongst Y'selves and that's where this thread belongs, not among the Quantum Vibe discussion threads. 

Nothing wrong with compare-and-contrast against an entirely different webcomic, but not in this precise virtual location.
"I is a great believer in peaceful settlements," Jik-jik assured him. "Ain't nobody as peaceful as a dead trouble-maker."
-- Keith Laumer, Retief's War (1966)

Oneil on January 17, 2013, 02:29:57 am
Yea,  I occasionally read up on that comic as well. have not visited since they did this change your talking about.  Not so certain how it will change the feel it has for me as it was a little hokey around the edges.   The whole premise of it started as an advanced space-faring group marooned on the planet and being seen as gods by the less advanced locals was believable.  Then the writer(s?) began basically feeding the reader a bill of goods of how they where mystically transformed into physical gods by this star crystal inheriting super powers but unable to use their original technology.  That sort of plot device is something I outgrew back at age eight.

RobbinR on January 18, 2013, 10:27:18 am

I also thought the quantum leap into the future left too many unresolved situations.

After a couple of months of sparse updating, it appears to have gone back to daily again,
and things have dramatically changed.

/

RobbinR on January 22, 2013, 10:23:24 am

Well, The Portal has just been opened, but it appears they don't like what they see.
They were expecting their long lost friends, but the as yet unclear image looks kinda zombieish.

It also appears that all the good guys are dead, unless some are still in hiding.

/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:35:08 am by RobbinR »

Redwood Elf on January 30, 2013, 04:38:11 pm
And now it has apparently pulled an "It was all a bad dream" trope and gone back to ancient times (They haven't worn those uniforms since the time jump)

RobbinR on January 31, 2013, 12:13:26 pm

And now it has apparently pulled an "It was all a bad dream" trope and gone back to ancient times (They haven't worn those uniforms since the time jump)

I was just coming in to remark on that, but you beat me to it.

Well, it worked for Dallas...

"Season Eight followed the aftermath of the death of Bobby Ewing
and their trials and tribulations without Bobby in their lives.
When Patrick Duffy decided to come back as Bobby in the spring of 1986
the producers decided to make the whole of Season Seven a DREAM.
So Pam woke up and Bobby was alive , it had all been her nightmare."

/

RobbinR on January 31, 2013, 12:59:52 pm

There is some doubt about what time frame we have now been brought to.
This latest turn seem to have taken place before the Star Core anomaly,
before the galactic war, before Kronos' defeat.

Many inconsistencies now need explanation and clarification.

The promise of daily updates resuming has not been fulfilled, I'm getting pissed off at these guys.
(But only a wee wee bit)  ;D   8)

/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:01:43 pm by RobbinR »

Oneil on January 31, 2013, 01:51:12 pm
I went and read the last updates to catch back up on the comic..

Any comic that doesn't date it's individual submissions is difficult to keep track of.  If you go to the Wayward Sons Archive Link you can see they stared as a weekday, went to a daily for 24 months before dropping back to the to the sporadic updates it's getting now.

But back to the confusion on future and past,,  That is just Wayward Sons.   You have to read it day by day and realize this comic is like a mashup of Greek Gods, Future Tech, Space Craft, X-Men, and Alternate Reality.  They break this comic into episodes such as this random example where they generally highlight certain characters, sometimes across past present even personal or family history's.  It can get confusing to randomly come back to this comic after several weeks and see your now in the comics future, then back in the comics past.

There is times I doubt the authors know where it will be tomorrow if they had not read yesterdays..  ;D

Its entertaining at times.  It's just not a perfect fit for me.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:53:36 pm by Oneil »

RobbinR on February 01, 2013, 04:04:33 pm

Only alternate timelines or Universes can explain this latest page.

The hologram is of Earth, where they crashed, gained their star core powers,
and lost their technology. And yet they are now using their previously lost technology.

Let us see if  Benny R. Powell, the sole author, can satisfy us with reasons for all this confusion in time.

Perhaps there is a hint in the title of this full page panel "TIDES in TIME"

/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:11:12 pm by RobbinR »

Redwood Elf on February 01, 2013, 11:22:21 pm
well they didn't lose ALL their technology...they did manage to make a rather impressive force field generator...and the cloaking device that hides their ship...so some of it IS working...

Oneil on February 02, 2013, 03:18:54 am

Only alternate timelines or Universes can explain this latest page.

The hologram is of Earth, where they crashed, gained their star core powers,
and lost their technology. And yet they are now using their previously lost technology.

Let us see if  Benny R. Powell, the sole author, can satisfy us with reasons for all this confusion in time.

Perhaps there is a hint in the title of this full page panel "TIDES in TIME"

/

Wayward Sons is a graphic comic not simply "prose".   How much creative input Benny R. Powell shares with Weilin Yang,  Youjun Yang, and Kun Song is not stated, but you will notice in announcements referencing the comic it is worded "We are happy to.." rather than "I am glad to.."   ;D

Scott on February 03, 2013, 12:30:57 pm
Usually it's the writer alone who establishes the major plot points. Sometimes (and sometimes not) artists will offer minor details. Depends on group dynamics. Very rarely, an artist will deviate strongly from a script, and the writer/editor will decide, hey, I like this better, and go with it.