Rocketman on January 31, 2007, 11:25:23 pm
What are the rings running alongside of the fuselage of the San Francisco Palace?  Are they supposed to be part of a therodynamic propulsion engine system?

Scott on February 01, 2007, 11:50:13 pm
Are you talking about those things that look sort of like hollowed-out jet engines? Those are my interpretation of "electrostatic impellers," a device Neil cooked up to power various types of flying machines and also the ground-effect hovercars.

Rocketman on February 02, 2007, 02:02:06 pm
Ahhh yes. Now that you mention it I do remember reading in "TPB" about electrostatic impellers.  I just haven't
read my "The Probability Broach" recently.

Frank B. on February 03, 2007, 09:47:14 pm
Ahhh yes. Now that you mention it I do remember reading in "TPB" about electrostatic impellers.  I just haven't
read my "The Probability Broach" recently.

Then you should drop everything, and immediately order a baker's dozen of them from Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0974381411/qid=1126907370/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-4182691-8713724?v=glance&s=books

Sphynx on February 07, 2007, 07:03:07 pm
Rocketman:  Also check your copy (you have one, right?) of The American Zone.  L. Neil mentions, inconnection with describing a Captain Saunders Confederate "helicopter", that Confederate A/C systems use the same electro-statics to move building air in place of a spinning metal fan.  Those on the San Fran... are just REALLY BIG versions without the ducting around them.

Which reminds me:  Scott, I would have thought that a lighter-than-air craft like a blimp would get more efficient thrust from impellers by ducting them, ala a ducted fan airplane engine.  Although I guess that if you've got portable (car engine sized) fusion power plants (Hot/Cold, just give me the ergs), "efficiency" may take on a different meaning.

I did really like the SFP art Scott, really captured LNS's original description!  - yes I've got an original bound copy of TPB: GN.

Rocketman on February 07, 2007, 09:18:31 pm
Sphynx:
     Actually, I have about 5 copies of "TPB"  including 2 that are first edition but have only read "The American
Zone" from a copy at the library here.  Your correct that "usually" a ducted fan is more efficent than an unducted one.  It depends on a number of factors especially the rotational tip speed not surpassing the speed of sound.  The reason that I was somewhat confused initally was that Nikola Tesla (the inventor of among other things, alternating current and the radio) created a bladeless pump mechanism that was originally used to pump fluids at high speed.  Forgetting momentarily about impellors I sumised that was what was being drawn.
Incorrectly it seems.