Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Enabling Karma  (Read 2543 times)
Scott
Administrator

« on: November 05, 2012, 05:08:47 pm »

I have received several complaints of late about a certain member who is wont to fling insults at the "fighting words" level and requests for a blocking feature. Unfortunately this forum software doesn't seem to have that, or at least, I can't find it. So as an alternative, I have enabled the "karma" feature that this software does have. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't, but I really don't want to use the nuclear option unless absolutely necessary.

So -- Over in the left column, above the poster's name and avatar, you'll see a "Karma" ranking (defaults to 0) and links underneath to "applaud" or "smite" the poster. I invite forum members to have at it, and perhaps we'll have a better level of civility around here. If it doesn't work, or makes matters worse, I'll turn it off again.

myrkul999

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 05:20:16 pm »

This is a good feature, used to good effect at another forum I visit, and I look forward to the eventual avalanche of smitings levied upon our trolls. Hopefully, I'll get some good karma out of the deal. I'll certainly try.
Tucci78

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:26:23 pm »

I have received several complaints of late about a certain member who is wont to fling insults at the "fighting words" level and requests for a blocking feature. Unfortunately this forum software doesn't seem to have that, or at least, I can't find it. So as an alternative, I have enabled the "karma" feature that this software does have. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't, but I really don't want to use the nuclear option unless absolutely necessary.

Ah, great idea.  Or, as Mencken put it:
The truth, indeed, is something that mankind, for some mysterious reason, instinctively dislikes. Every man who tries to tell it is unpopular, and even when, by the sheer strength of his case, he prevails, he is put down as a scoundrel.

I expect to be excused for disdaining to use the feature.

Or pay attention to it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:28:01 pm by Tucci78 » Logged

"I is a great believer in peaceful settlements," Jik-jik assured him. "Ain't nobody as peaceful as a dead trouble-maker."
-- Keith Laumer, Retief's War (1966)
Sieggy

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:33:59 pm »

I assume you're keeping a record of all this in a karmic book . . ?
myrkul999

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:37:59 pm »

The truth, indeed, is something that mankind, for some mysterious reason, instinctively dislikes. Every man who tries to tell it is unpopular, and even when, by the sheer strength of his case, he prevails, he is put down as a scoundrel.

Or pay attention to it.

But of course. What would the world be like without the cantankerous old farts cursing at the neighborhood children from their porch swing?

Boring, that's what. Plus, I've learned so many new words.... Wink

And anyone who quotes Mencken as much as you do can't be all bad.
Tucci78

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 05:35:36 am »

So -- Over in the left column, above the poster's name and avatar, you'll see a "Karma" ranking (defaults to 0) and links underneath to "applaud" or "smite" the poster. I invite forum members to have at it, and perhaps we'll have a better level of civility around here. If it doesn't work, or makes matters worse, I'll turn it off again.

So now we're seeing how "the 'karma' feature" really works, aren't we? 

One contemptible little weasel not only flagrantly jiggers the system, but also lies about doing so.

Well, at least it seems to be keeping this obsessive get of a diseased jackal busy, doesn't it?

And there's supposed to be concern about accurate character assessments of such critters "at the 'fighting words' level" and their whining for the obliteration of that merry ha'porth of the hatred they truly - and so richly - deserve? 

Yeah, right.

"I is a great believer in peaceful settlements," Jik-jik assured him. "Ain't nobody as peaceful as a dead trouble-maker."
Scott
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 09:32:06 am »

Just so you know ...

1) I've set the Karma feature so that any given user can only smite the same person once every 20 minutes. I doubt many people would have the patience (or obsession) to come back every half-hour to give you multiple drubbings.  So, you may assume that you've annoyed several people, not just Elf.

2) No, I don't have any means to find out who's been smiting whom. Frank might, since he as access to the software's guts.

3) One of those smites was mine. I haven't banned you because most of the time you make positive contributions to the discussion. But when you go into attack/insult mode you make yourself look like a total asshole. And as I have repeatedly asked you to clean up your act, and you have not only refused to do so but made elaborate bullshit justifications for your obnoxious behavior, I have to assume you have no more respect for me than you do for anyone else, possibly including yourself.

RobbinR

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 10:15:25 am »

Ah, great idea.  Or, as Mencken put it:

Or pay attention to it.

The italicized and especially the underlined sentence/s are very funny,
seeing as you have brought up the subject and been blathering on and on about it  Grin
Several of the smites were mine, when you were making rude and unwarranted personal attacks.
And you were also a bit delusional, in thinking it was coming from only one person, when it was at least Edit: 7.

Quote from: Redwood Elf on January 16, 2013, 07:25:24 PM
"I only smote once...whatever other posters do is their business, Gonzo.
Perhaps they find your repetitive tendency towards being colossally snotty and vile as irritating as I do."

We do, just stop the personal attacking, and you will watch your good karma grow back.

/

Edit: added one / where it was needed
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:04:49 am by RobbinR » Logged
Redwood Elf

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 12:05:22 pm »

Now I limit "Thumbs down" type clicks to really outrageously bad behavior, on the order of these guys:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/compost.htm

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/godzilla.htm

Now I leave it to the forum participants...does falsely accusing me of abusing the Karma system deserve a followup second smite on this occasion?

RobbinR

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 12:55:28 pm »

Now I limit "Thumbs down" type clicks to really outrageously bad behavior, on the order of these guys:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/compost.htm

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/godzilla.htm

Now I leave it to the forum participants...does falsely accusing me of abusing the Karma system deserve a followup second smite on this occasion?

Normally I would answer yes, because he called you a liar.
But I suggest compassion and forgiveness, perhaps this time he will realize that his behavior
really is abusive and objectionable to many on this board, who appreciate his good posts,
and would otherwise like to see him stay.

/
Tucci78

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 03:15:51 pm »

And as I have repeatedly asked you to clean up your act, and you have not only refused to do so but made elaborate bullshit justifications for your obnoxious behavior, I have to assume you have no more respect for me than you do for anyone else, possibly including yourself.

Well, you're certainly right about my having no respect for myself.  Knowing myself better than anybody else possibly could, I've got no illusions.  I just get on with the work as best I'm able, chiefly because people come to me with problems and want me to help them get solutions.  I'm apparently better than any alternatives they've been able to find, and ain't that a helluva note?

I've also got no control over how others receive my presentation, whether I do my stifling, sweating best to keep it emollient (as best I can appreciate their sensitivities) or simply speak my mind, "elaborate bullshit justifications" and all.  The world is full of people who (to paraphrase Leo Frankowski) are just plastic garbage bags full of broken glass; whatever they bump against rips 'em a new one. 

Whether you judge my opinion of your work respectful or not is as much beyond my control as anything else in even my immediate surroundings.  For whatever its worth, I think it ingenious and inventive and valuable, and it grieves me bitterly to know that the majority of mankind is as blind to its worth as they are to the pig-simple notion of fiat currency inflation. 

Getting back to Murray Rothbard and "Hatred is my muse."

You, personally, I do not know, any more than you know me and my personal condition.  I suppose we're all of us laboring under Heinlein's admonition ("When the fox gnaws - smile!"), and so I bare my teeth in a rictus and count myself virtuous whenever I've managed to get though a day without sinking my fangs in some flaming idiot's throat.

It ain't easy, and I'm far from a virtuous man.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 03:27:49 pm by Tucci78 » Logged

Tucci78

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 03:25:14 pm »

Several of the smites were mine, when you were making rude and unwarranted personal attacks.
And you were also a bit delusional, in thinking it was coming from only one person, when it was at least 4.

Oh? Well, Edmond Rostand said it best, didn't he?

Quote from: Cyrano de Bergerac
Cyrano: Watching you other people make friends everywhere - as a dog makes friends! - I mark the manner of these canine courtesies and think: "My friends are of a cleaner breed; Here comes, thank God, another enemy!"

Porcupines.  Just porcupines.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 03:29:11 pm by Tucci78 » Logged

macharuadh

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 03:52:48 am »

Yeah, that was why I smote twice - the second one was for throwing around false accusations. It's also the reason I posted. Normally I don't because I am kinda sensitive ... delicate ... whatever. But also because I don't have anything interesting to add that someone else didn't get to first. But I don't have to be sharp-witted to really, really love this story, and to be (generally) interested in all the speculation around it. But I just get all bent outta shape about injustice (see: false accusation) and I thought that if Tucci realized that it really WAS more than one person "glaring" at him that it would carry more weight. So, I was emboldened to speak up.

On the other hand, characterizing me as a "sniper" ... well, guess who's more likely to survive a battle - the flailing berserker in the thick of it or the guy (or gal) on a hilltop at a discreet distance with a scoped weapon? Just sayin' ...   Grin
Tucci78

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 06:41:38 am »

...I thought that if Tucci realized that it really WAS more than one person "glaring" at him that it would carry more weight. So, I was emboldened to speak up.

On the other hand, characterizing me as a "sniper" ... well, guess who's more likely to survive a battle - the flailing berserker in the thick of it or the guy (or gal) on a hilltop at a discreet distance with a scoped weapon? Just sayin' ... 

Ever consider the reason why so very few captured snipers ever make it back to the prisoner interrogation points? 

"Why, sir, this fanatic tried to escape.  What was I supposed to do?  Let him get away?"

"Well, no.  But how come the powder burns around every one of those eight bullet holes?"

Like hell did you "speak up" - until now.

Porcupines.  Just porcupines. 

Scott
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 08:17:05 am »

No, there is no automatic cut-off point with the Karma system. Just rankings.

It's up to me to judge whether a given member ought to be silenced, or banned.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

anything