Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Shop Til You Drop: Mars edition  (Read 30314 times)
Redwood Elf

Email
« on: October 19, 2012, 11:09:53 pm »

Well now they've got at least 3 hours to hit the local equivalent of the mall. What does a wealthy gal shop for on her first trip to mars? She prefers the Anysuit, so clothes are out (unless she wants to get some special looks that don't look embarassingly like a christmas tree ornament)...she's already got one of the best implants available...

Aha! She still needs a new Shovel!

gene

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 12:43:55 am »

You know, I don't know! Normally good SF like this kicks my mind and imagination into overdrive. But I'm drawing a complete blank. In an economy where everything necessary to life and pursuing happiness is inexpensive to free, what do you buy for fun? I'd be after old books for sure, but I'm like Seamus and his friends, a product of an older era. (sort of, roughly) What would attract Nichole or even Ventura? Heck, what's Ma-Bo been wasting jinke on?

I think I'll wander through a few stores this weekend and imagine what would still be in a store a century from now. For example, inkwells and sanders (sprinkle on paper to blot ink) are sure gone from normal stocks. In one hundred years where will paper and pens be sold, if anywhere?

If I call it research maybe I can con a grant somewhere.  Grin

Come back to the trees; all is forgibben. Mom
Oneil

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 01:27:14 am »

You know, I don't know! Normally good SF like this kicks my mind and imagination into overdrive. But I'm drawing a complete blank. In an economy where everything necessary to life and pursuing happiness is inexpensive to free, what do you buy for fun? I'd be after old books for sure, but I'm like Seamus and his friends, a product of an older era. (sort of, roughly) What would attract Nichole or even Ventura? Heck, what's Ma-Bo been wasting jinke on?

I think I'll wander through a few stores this weekend and imagine what would still be in a store a century from now. For example, inkwells and sanders (sprinkle on paper to blot ink) are sure gone from normal stocks. In one hundred years where will paper and pens be sold, if anywhere?

If I call it research maybe I can con a grant somewhere.  Grin

Even with my compulsion to always want that hardbound copy sitting on a shelf, the e-readers have finally reached a point that is functionally equal and I will use them.  Printed books will all become rare collector treasures in 500 years.  I don't see you finding them in a retail mall. 

Electronics, Robotics, Fashion, and Food Stalls, Trends will drive retail weekly instead of by the season.  The Mall of the Future would likely look more like a Civic Centre hosting a major Consumer Trade Convention than the current concentration of retail stores.
gene

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 02:12:37 am »

You are right about e-readers. I bit the bullet about 2 years ago and have never looked back. At a future mall you might find "Smythe & Watson, Bookbinders" your favorite read turned into an instant classic.

DING! Got it. Service and craft never goes away. That's the ticket. Customizing your stuff. (Dare I say 'bling'?  Wink) A lot of things like furniture and vehicles will be designed around a standard frame to allow a choice and even some freedom to depart from convention. Shiny baubles will still attract the eye and designs will vary as they always do.

I either do my best thinking after midnight or it just feels that way. Hand the keyboard to my hindbrain and say "you write something Kronk, I'm out of steam".
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:50:09 am by gene » Logged

RobbinR

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 10:02:36 am »

Well, holo clothes programs might be an item of interest for Nicole.

There may also well be exclusive designs by famous designers up for sale.

And what do we know of weapons not revealed as yet?

Let your imaginations run free, most anything is possible.

/
Andreas

per infinitesimus ad omnia

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:32:05 am »

The adventure genre staple would be to upgrade existing gear. She might get a chameleon suite for her anysuit, a storage size upgrade for her fanny pack, a faster-charging higher-capacity zringer, customizing for her bubb... but the sky's the limit.
G-compensating boots, stay-up socks and raincoat, log from blammo. Anything's possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eusMzC7Rx7M&feature=related
Scott
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 12:41:46 pm »

For many people, shopping is an end in itself. Nicole picked up all the upgraded gear she needs during that brief stop at L5-City (which was alluded to but not shown in the strip), which has all the best tech gear anyway. Now she's like a contemporary American or European or Japanese tourist in Mexico (before the narco-troubles) looking for trinkets and novelties.

gene

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 04:13:48 pm »

Nichole is looking for a souvenir "I escaped the Evil Overlord and all I got was this lousy T-shirt." design
Ventura is looking for a lost mind she doesn't know is lost.*
Buford is looking for a book of 101 ways to deal with a crazy friend that don't get you arrested.

*now she's found something she didn't know existed, free AIs.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:27:28 pm by gene » Logged

Oneil

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 11:52:58 pm »

Nichole is looking for a souvenir "I escaped the Evil Overlord and all I got was this lousy T-shirt." design
Ventura is looking for a lost mind she doesn't know is lost.*
Buford is looking for a book of 101 ways to deal with a crazy friend that don't get you arrested.

*now she's found something she didn't know existed, free AIs.

No need to wait 566 years or goto Mars for this shopping trip..  ( Yes, I am bored and can't sleep again  Grin )

For Nicole... Certain she could create one in the color and style she wants here.. Zazzle

Ventura is tricky, just as you couldn't hope to cure amnesia with one shopping trip.,
I'm just torn between suggesting finding a helpful Master in Robotics Engineering or visit a Psychic Reading booth for comedy sake.

Burford would be pleased to find B&N has all the 101 way guides ... 101 Ways 
Tucci78

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:00:10 am »

The adventure genre staple would be to upgrade existing gear. She might get a chameleon suite for her anysuit, a storage size upgrade for her fanny pack, a faster-charging higher-capacity zringer, customizing for her bubb... but the sky's the limit.

G-compensating boots, stay-up socks and raincoat, log from blammo. Anything's possible.

A superscientifictional shopping trip ought to draw upon the list from Don Simpson's old filksong, which goes in part:

He promised to buy me a second hand Morris
A matched set of H-bombs that go off in chorus
A musically talented agile slow loris
And other delights that are rare

Chorus:
Oh dear, where can the matter be
When it's converted to energy
There's a slight loss of parity
Johnny's too long at the fair.

(Anybody got the full set of lyrics to that filk?  I think it includes "a hand-tatted plaid pterodactyl-down pillow" in the inventory.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:03:37 am by Tucci78 » Logged

"I is a great believer in peaceful settlements," Jik-jik assured him. "Ain't nobody as peaceful as a dead trouble-maker."
-- Keith Laumer, Retief's War (1966)
Oneil

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 08:01:28 am »

(Anybody got the full set of lyrics to that filk?  I think it includes "a hand-tatted plaid pterodactyl-down pillow" in the inventory.)

I remember hearing the song, remembering the title is my problem.  My quick local and web search found "Laughter from the Loch" & "Ship of Stone" by Don Simpson.  You might check the PDF's of lyrics at  http://steve.savitzky.net/Songs/
Scott
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 10:28:43 am »

Nicole already did the "Matched set of H-bombs that go off in chorus" bit.  Grin

Redwood Elf

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 11:05:40 am »

Nicole already did the "Matched set of H-bombs that go off in chorus" bit.  Grin

And here's hoping that the local equivalent of    Trance Gemini has a good sense of humor about that.

myrkul999

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 03:36:18 pm »

And here's hoping that the local equivalent of    Trance Gemini has a good sense of humor about that.
I'm thinking he was referring to the sun-dive. Wink
Redwood Elf

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 05:08:45 pm »

I'm thinking he was referring to the sun-dive. Wink

Um, yes, he was...follow the link...Trance Gemini is the avatar of a star...now how a star might react to the bomb cluster is up for grabs...they might find it tasty for all we know...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: