lycurgus33 on June 29, 2007, 10:25:32 am
You do realise that being terminally humourless is comedy in itself, don't you?

Sure.

Except that I'm not terminally humorless at all.  I enjoy a good laugh just like anyone else.  I'm just not seeing much humor here.

Does that mean I'm playing some kind of "game"?  Do you really think that anyone who critique's your work has shadowy ulterior motives?

*chuckles*

(Well you made me laugh there at least)

When will La Muse get a serious challenge?  An Antaeus to her Hercules?

Scott on June 29, 2007, 11:00:17 am
One of the draw-backs to serializing stories like this is that people tend to make judgments about the story before getting all the facts.

Think of this story as a 3-act play, and we're about 3/4 of the way through the first act.

Yes, Susan will face very serious challenges, both personal and in terms of what she's trying to do. Please be patient.

(I sometimes wonder how the tone of this story would be different if the LaMuses were male instead of female.)

aditantimedh on July 05, 2007, 07:52:22 pm
Criticism is fine. 

But walking into someone's house while it's still being built and insulting them and the way their house looks because it doesn't fit your idea of what a house should be is just dick-ish behaviour, and you get treated accordingly.

Rocketman on July 09, 2007, 09:03:36 am
I don't think that La Muse is humorless at all.  It's just a little bit different humor because this is a graphic novel as opposed to say a television sitcom.  I sure got a few chuckles when I saw how Susan neatly turned the tables on Todd and took his business from him.  It was well thought out, funny and made me think.  Somethings that Big Head Press always says that they stand for.   :D

Leviathan on July 18, 2007, 01:07:44 am
Criticism is fine. 

But walking into someone's house while it's still being built and insulting them and the way their house looks because it doesn't fit your idea of what a house should be is just dick-ish behaviour, and you get treated accordingly.

I will remind, and not to offend, that I've already mentioned she's shaping up to be a "superwoman" style character.  Virtually invulnerable, and even when she "makes a mistake" it was intentional and worked to further her agenda.  Additionally, the only people opposing her, at this point of the story anyway, are assholes.  People whose sole complaint is that she's stealing their thunder and control over everything.  The PTBs that were complaining about her "emancipation" of Africa.  The skinheads who don't like her tolerance and standing up for groups they don't like and representing "Grrl Powah" as opposed to the "traditionally subservient, inferior" woman.  Not a one yet who wants her to stop preventing them from making their own mistakes.  Not a one who just dislikes that she's replacing a corrupt, agressive authority with a utopian nanny state of mental modification and environmental reshaping.  None who have even mentioned that she's stealing away the very act of accomplishment by reshaping the planet in her image.

It would've been more engaging if she hadn't plotted out even her "mistakes".  Q from star trek is interesting, when he is, because of all his personality flaws and when his schemes don't go according to plan.  He's interesting when he actually underestimates someone.  One of the more engaging episodes he's in was the one where he was made human.  He got to experience all the foibles of corporeal existence, and had to own up to past misdeeds.  Well, until another Q snapped his fingers and made him all-powerful and nearly all-knowing again.  And there was little more precious than watching even Q being totally surprised that his little sherwood forest simulation had started to run off the track he had planned for it.  Susan?  She gets videotaped having an orgy which turns into a scandal, and it ends up she wanted it to happen and doctored the tape.

Yes, there's some funny parts.  But I'm practically begging at this point for some chinks in her armor.  Not because she's female, but because no one can be perfect and interesting.  "Oh, things went exactly how she planned it.  Again.  Oh, yet another obvious idiot is the one who's going after her.  Oh darn.  Good thing she's so powerful, else she might just have been in trouble."  And yes, I'm kind of still reading it out of a mixture of boredom and hope that a BHP story will get interesting eventually. 

Then again, I'm not much into invulnerable super-heroes.  A lot of people are.  I think it's some vicarious satisfaction of watching "the bad guys" actually get trounced.  Personally, when I go for super-powers I much prefer things like the X-men, Spiderman, and the like.  People whose powers are much more limited, and whose challenges often kill them.  That latter is one criticism, each X-men character has pretty much been dead at least once.  Sometimes much more than once.  The tendency to mysteriously end up alive again sort of lends them that invulnerability aspect. But even Xavier can't solve every challenge with a mindrape.