RobbinR on July 04, 2012, 07:10:45 pm

I see there is a thread about spammers within the forums,
but this is another subject.

About two days after joining the forum, (a month ago)
I began to get a lot of spam to my email addy.
I have had that account for years, and never or extremely rarely received spam.

It could be a mere coincidence, but I am curious if anyone else has had this happen
shortly after joining the forum?

Robbin

myrkul999 on July 04, 2012, 08:00:27 pm
A while back, a Bitcoin trading site I was a member of got hacked, and the member list got released. Since then, my spam filter has been working overtime. If I got additional spam because of joining here, I haven't noticed it in the flood. (hint: you may want to conceal your email address, as the profile pages are public)

wdg3rd on July 05, 2012, 01:06:07 am
It hasn't happened to me, and I've been here since about day one.  That and I keep my spam filters tuned to a degree that only another long-time sysadmin can appreciate the level of paranoia.  (A system of mine was cracked once at 1200 bps to give you an idea how long ago it was, 25 years and the body hasn't been found).
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

RobbinR on July 05, 2012, 09:32:13 am

I have clicked the lil box to hide my email address from the public,
are you guys able to see it?

/

macsnafu on July 05, 2012, 11:44:31 am

I have clicked the lil box to hide my email address from the public,
are you guys able to see it?

/

Nope, can't see your email address.

I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.

RobbinR on July 05, 2012, 12:13:12 pm

Thanks

/

Andreas on July 06, 2012, 03:25:18 pm
I remember, when I signed up, that I was very surprised to find certain settings opt-out default-on. I felt it was odd for a liberty-conscious site. I can't recall what settings they were, now, but maybe an audit of the sign-up process is in order? I guess the e-mail addy on show by default was one of them.