Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: BIG damn bobcat  (Read 5501 times)
wdg3rd

Canvas and Quicklime

WWW Email
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:02:42 pm »

I mean, I've known wild (usually dead) bobcats, captured and imprisoned in zoos bobcats, and bobcats raised from kittens and "domesticated" (a tricky term with felines, after several thousands of years they revert to feral faster than I can go up to the corner for a six-pack and return).  That's bigger than any mountain lion I've met (same three conditions -- I've never met a live feline in the wild that didn't have recent "domestic" ancestors).  The ones raised in "captivity" tended bigger than their parents (nutrition I assume) but not to anything like that degree.  As the feral descendents of housecats tend to be smaller than theirs.

Canids are different.  They seem to domesticate in one generation.  Coyote pups act like any other dog.  Guess the canine pack structure encourages automatic slavery if you're not the pack leader in the genes.  Probably why I don't like dogs much.  (Cats are anarchists, though many have little use for the zero aggression principle).

Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@comcast.net        http://home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd/

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot
customdesigned

SDGathman
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:11:11 pm »

Cats are anarchists, though many have little use for the zero aggression principle.
ZAP seems to be pretty common with housecats, they strive not to annoy you - *except* they seem to feel it is OK as long as you don't *see* them doing something annoying.  For instance, once I make it clear that I don't want the cat on the table, the cat will *never* go on the table in my presence.  However, I often hear the soft sounds of a cat jumping down from the table as I approach a room.   (So don't count on the table being clean unless you've been watching it since you scrubbed it.)  Kind of like the "angel" monsters in Dr Who.
Andreas

per infinitesimus ad omnia

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 02:03:27 am »

Guess the canine pack structure encourages automatic slavery if you're not the pack leader in the genes.

Not sure if that's what you meant, but AFAIK canid leadership isn't genetic. That's ants. Canids negotiate pecking orders just like humans do, also, they're always free to leave. The pack is a survival mechanism, membership is voluntary, but recommended.

Canids do not observe ZAP, they're predators Grin
But among peers, they do observe a "rough it up, but don't use lethal force" code in their negotiations of who's who.

But I first thought that was a European lynx, they're about the size of a German shepherd. Of course, with the talk of AI, it might be a skin-job - so then its size is independent of genetics.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:05:45 am by Andreas » Logged
myrkul999

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:50:18 am »

But I first thought that was a European lynx, they're about the size of a German shepherd. Of course, with the talk of AI, it might be a skin-job - so then its size is independent of genetics.

Oh ho! a Blade Runner reference! Nice.

But I don't think it's synthetic. Maybe modified, but not synthetic. There was mention made in one of last week's strips that "the dangerous ones were 'fixed'," and likewise, she asks Sv. Katz if Sv. Cat is "fixed", as well. I take that to mean the A.I. uplift.
dough560

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 08:51:45 am »

What's a little tinkering for size and strength when it's already being done for intelligence, possibly with nano processors and boosters.  At that point, is speech far behind?
Andreas

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:29:55 pm »

What's a little tinkering for size and strength when it's already being done for intelligence, possibly with nano processors and boosters.  At that point, is speech far behind?
And a neural uplink... wouldn't it be fun to explore Clarke's famous statement about technology and magic. A world where all the magic tropes are in effect, right down to bonded familiars, but made with technology?
myrkul999

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 01:52:50 pm »

And a neural uplink... wouldn't it be fun to explore Clarke's famous statement about technology and magic. A world where all the magic tropes are in effect, right down to bonded familiars, but made with technology?

That is a fun thing to do, and a few authors have done similar.
Apollo-Soyuz

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 08:52:01 pm »

http://www.bigheadpress.com/eft?page=470
wdg3rd

Canvas and Quicklime

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:17:19 am »

L. Neil Smith, decades ago.  Howell G. Nahuatl.  A coyote, slightly enhanced.  Who we'll see some more of if Neil has the time and leisure (call it income) to finish the other five books of his Brightsuit MacBear series.

Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@comcast.net        http://home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd/

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot
wdg3rd

Canvas and Quicklime

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 12:27:36 am »

Guess the canine pack structure encourages automatic slavery if you're not the pack leader in the genes.

Not sure if that's what you meant, but AFAIK canid leadership isn't genetic. That's ants. Canids negotiate pecking orders just like humans do, also, they're always free to leave. The pack is a survival mechanism, membership is voluntary, but recommended.

I did not mean pack leadership in the genes, but the instinct to follow the leader if you're not the top dog.  Dog owners always have to be the pack leader (there have been times when that failed, generally ugly incidents).

Andreas

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 03:20:44 am »

I did not mean pack leadership in the genes, but the instinct to follow the leader if you're not the top dog.  Dog owners always have to be the pack leader (there have been times when that failed, generally ugly incidents).
Yeah, just wanted to make sure - daisy-chaining adverbials (like "in the genes") can be hard to avoid, but it does make for ambiguous reading.
Normal people shouldn't really get dogs larger than a bull terrier, if getting one for security at least. So many people choose retrievers, which is like doubly stupid; retrievers have the wrong set of instincts, they're too big for most people to effectively dominate, and finally, they're bred for cute looks, which means they're also bred for immaturity (and consequently, NOT bred for predictability).

Of course, a bull terrier is pretty awesome protection, it's strong, mentally stable, and it does exactly what a anti-burglary system is meant to: A) look scary, and B) chomp down and hold on. They are also very capable of fighting on even if wounded.

I have pugs myself though, I'm not in it for the security.
myrkul999

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 11:04:01 am »

I have pugs myself though, I'm not in it for the security.

I have a couple of lab mixes, myself... Loyal as all get-out. And pretty smart, too. But I do love pugs. Speaking of which, ever seen Battlepug? It's a pretty nifty webcomic. 8-foot tall pug. I need say no more.
Andreas

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 12:33:48 pm »

I have, and for a Conan caricature, it's actually caught that conan-y vibe pretty well, plus some original features.
From time to time I do an archive crawl, something about it's flow makes it hard for me to read in in little pieces.
customdesigned

SDGathman
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 01:22:03 pm »

I enjoyed the "Beastmaster" series by Andre Norton.    Most of the enhanced animals didn't speak out loud (mouth not the right shape), but communicated telepathically with their bonded partner (typical Norton). 
myrkul999

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 02:13:24 pm »

I enjoyed the "Beastmaster" series by Andre Norton.    Most of the enhanced animals didn't speak out loud (mouth not the right shape), but communicated telepathically with their bonded partner (typical Norton). 

Nanotech is a popular explanation for "magic", too... the book There Will be Dragons uses a high-tech sci-fi setting to build a high-fantasy post-apocalypse world... complete with unicorns, AI "spirits", and yes, Dragons.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

anything