Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Vesta Vesta  (Read 16338 times)
Oldhobo

"I have an approximate knowledge of everything."

Email
« on: June 06, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »

i want to know here and now that the Vesta storyline has a "happy" ending. 
wdg3rd

Canvas and Quicklime

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 06:29:21 pm »

Well, eventually all of the bad guys die.  Course it might take a century or two while they live large before it happens.

Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@comcast.net        http://home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd/

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot
SandySandfort
Friendlies

Check out: smashwords.com/ books/view/14227

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 06:58:58 pm »

The Old Hobo lives. Happy enough for you?  Wink
Bob G
4freedoms

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:34:25 am »

Good luck with that.

Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song
ConditionOne

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 05:51:04 am »

I think the Ancaps are waaaaay to patient with the budding progressive movement, considering they left terra to escape all that nonsense. Not that they have to initiate any form of violence, but just walk out of the room after the first couple of outrageous demands.

I mean, it's not like any of the progs have any higher power to appeal to to initiate force upon the businesses to heed the groups demands, right?

Ignoring the progs might event bring them to attempt violence in the form of terrorism, which would then give the adcaps the right to protected themselves and all but eliminate the progs, if not at least exiled them.
Azure Priest

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 06:10:37 am »

Oh, you don't ignore termites eating your home. You call an exterminator. These "do gooders" are termites on the society, pure and simple.

Yesterday's strip was also right, sadly. If you don't vote, you don't count. VOTE in your local election, or you deserve the government you get.
SandySandfort
Friendlies

Check out: smashwords.com/ books/view/14227

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 06:19:11 am »

Yesterday's strip was also right, sadly. If you don't vote, you don't count. VOTE in your local election, or you deserve the government you get.

What that point of view has some merit, if you believe the system can be fixed, that was not my point. The thing is, the bad guys use voting as a "Catch 22."

1. If you don't vote, you cannot complain if things don't go your way.

2. If you do vote, you are participating in the system and are tacitly agreeing to accept the results.

Heads I win, tails you lose.
bjdotson

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 07:02:51 am »

if voting really changed anything it would be against the law.
macsnafu

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 07:25:42 am »

What good is voting, if the choice you want to vote for isn't even on the ballot??  He who controls the ballot has the real power, not the voter.

I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.
Rbsnedd

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:53:28 pm »

You know, I think `the Mascons` have forgotten something vital.
They want to set up controls on the food and water but what about the air supply.
Seems to me that whoever controls the breathable air controls the colony.

Also, have the colonists actually built a nuclear power plant INSIDE the colony?
Bloody stupid place to put it.
ZeissIkon

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 03:29:46 pm »

Also, have the colonists actually built a nuclear power plant INSIDE the colony?
Bloody stupid place to put it.

Well, not so much.  The same technology that protects the colonists protects the nuclear plant -- meaning, it doesn't need to be hardened against the space environment (meteoroid shielding probably costs more than radiation shielding, considering that while gravel/dust is basically free, labor to emplace it isn't, and you need more of it to stop a grain of sand at 20 km/s than to stop beta particles), doesn't require its own life support systems for the operators and maintainers, doesn't require long, expensive transmission lines.  By the time there are "burners" that can travel between planets at constant boost above about a milligee, it seems likely that fission power will be competitive with solar on safety (and possibly cheaper, given a belt-local source of uranium or thorium -- a good bet, since at least some meteorites appear to have come from bodies that were shattered after concentrating dense materials in their cores).
Bob G
4freedoms

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 08:45:37 pm »

Yeah, let's put guards and RadProt workers in solar plants, because they deal with so much radiation . . .

After all, sunlight is radiation, isn't it?

Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song
Warren

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 09:04:33 pm »

I don't see how the Mascons are going to enforce anything. Also is this a flashback to what's going in with the ISS?
myrkul999

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 09:11:49 pm »

Also is this a flashback to what's going in with the ISS?

No, I get the impression that the ISS story is effectively over, all that's left is a long-ass trip in a cramped tin can.

This is a flash-back from the aborted duel with Guy's relative and the dude-looks-like-a-lady (forgive me, I forgot their names).
Apollo-Soyuz

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 09:49:53 pm »

No, I get the impression that the ISS story is effectively over, all that's left is a long-ass trip in a cramped tin can.

This is a flash-back from the aborted duel with Guy's relative and the dude-looks-like-a-lady (forgive me, I forgot their names).

While I don't mind the jumps, that part is a bit annoying. The only way I really know a chapter is over is if they don't get back to it anytime soon. Actually the really annoying part is that there isn't a "chapter flag" every time the story-thread jumps, so skipping back to say the space-scouts first outing takes a bit of hunting around. (Ah well, I get my money's worth anyway)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: