ContraryGuy on June 04, 2012, 01:19:12 am
A couple of days ago, i noticed that the thread i had been following "Criticisms of Anarcho-Capitalism",
had vanished from the forum.
I ran through the pages of the forum,, but that thread was no where to be found.
It appears that the entire forum has been re-booted, because every thread except for the magnesium one was marked "new".
It is ridiculous to think that every thread in this forum had had a new post in it at the very same time.

So I just wanted to congratulate Scott, Sandy and the forum administrators for coming up with the best way of removing an embarrassing thread without looking like it was just that thread which had been deleted.

Great job!  Way to go! 

myrkul999 on June 04, 2012, 03:35:15 am
Sadly, during your absence, we had a melt-down of one of the posters. TeamGirl went full china syndrome on us and deleted all of his posts. He'd done it before, so it wasn't much of a surprise. That was one of the threads that he had started, and thus, it went, too. there were actually several threads that went missing, and frankly, I wish they had not.

As to every thread being marked as "new", I'd say that has more to do with you clearing cache or cookies, than anything the Forum owners/mods did. I have had no such problems.

SandySandfort on June 04, 2012, 09:20:29 am
Sadly, during your absence, we had a melt-down of one of the posters. TeamGirl went full china syndrome on us and deleted all of his posts. He'd done it before, so it wasn't much of a surprise. That was one of the threads that he had started, and thus, it went, too. there were actually several threads that went missing, and frankly, I wish they had not.

As to every thread being marked as "new", I'd say that has more to do with you clearing cache or cookies, than anything the Forum owners/mods did. I have had no such problems.

To Contrary Guy:

macsnafu on June 04, 2012, 11:58:39 am
Yep, apparently, if you start a thread, you have the rights to remove that thread, too, including all posts made by everybody in that thread. 

TeamGirl got upset and decided to "take their marbles and go home", instead of leaving the the contributions up and available for future readers of the forum.   I guess TG didn't trust lurkers to decide who was right.

I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.

ContraryGuy on June 05, 2012, 01:49:33 am
Yep, apparently, if you start a thread, you have the rights to remove that thread, too, including all posts made by everybody in that thread. 

TeamGirl got upset and decided to "take their marbles and go home", instead of leaving the the contributions up and available for future readers of the forum.   I guess TG didn't trust lurkers to decide who was right.

How does that account for the fact that on all three of my computers, every other thread shows as "new"?
I know that two computers and an iphone dont all of a sudden show me a forum where everything is brand new, but nothing else is.

I understand that some board admin got tired of the thread and simply re-booted the forum.
Its OK, I just wanted to know what happened.  I guess Sandy and Scott are just going to stonewall.

Sigh.

Its this kind of behavior that will keep any undecided person from jumping on the AnCap bandwagon.

myrkul999 on June 05, 2012, 02:01:26 am
I understand that some board admin got tired of the thread and simply re-booted the forum.
Its OK, I just wanted to know what happened.  I guess Sandy and Scott are just going to stonewall.

Look. If this is actually what happened, I'd be more pissed off than you are. Because I lost some good work when that happened. TeamTroll deleted his posts, that one included.

That's not the party line, that's the truth. Go ahead, try it. Delete the post that started this thread.

customdesigned on June 05, 2012, 05:20:36 am

Its this kind of behavior that will keep any undecided person from jumping on the AnCap bandwagon.

That's true, and probably what TeamGirl intended.  Just don't post to a forum started by TeamGirl to avoid getting burned again.  If you want to respond to TG (who does raise some good points), start a new thread with your response.  See the "Implied Contracts" threads for an example.

SandySandfort on June 05, 2012, 05:22:44 am
Look. If this is actually what happened, I'd be more pissed off than you are. Because I lost some good work when that happened. TeamTroll deleted his posts, that one included.

That's not the party line, that's the truth. Go ahead, try it. Delete the post that started this thread.

Thanks for the spirited defense, but CG does not want to be confused by the facts. Instead, he posits inane "explanations" that "prove" we are the bad buys.

Look, the Big Head administration has given me the authority to remove anyone from the Forum. Given that, why would I remove just some of TeamGirl's posts? More to the point, since I can remove anyone in about 60 seconds, why would I remove only slightly annoying, statist apologists such as TeamGirl, but  not boot an irrational, posturing, flannel-mouth ass such as CG? I leave the answer to that question as an exercise for the student.

Andreas on June 05, 2012, 05:35:10 am

Thanks for the spirited defense, but CG does not want to be confused by the facts. Instead, he posits inane "explanations" that "prove" we are the bad buys.

Look, the Big Head administration has given me the authority to remove anyone from the Forum. Given that, why would I remove just some of TeamGirl's posts? More to the point, since I can remove anyone in about 60 seconds, why would I remove only slightly annoying, statist apologists such as TeamGirl, but  not boot an irrational, posturing, flannel-mouth ass such as CG? I leave the answer to that question as an exercise for the student.

Would it be possible to make deletion of posts (rather than the editing out by hand of all the content) impossible? I don't see the point in allowing people to unsay what they have said... that's not a natural right at all, and it flies in the face of all discussion rules. Regret and retract what you have said, sure, that's even virtuous, but to pretend it was never said is just inane.

mellyrn on June 05, 2012, 07:54:53 am
From where I look, some threads are marked "new", some are not so marked.  This has always been the case.  I haven't paid enough attention to see what determines the little blue "new" label, except to note that sheer newness, either of the thread or of replies, seems irrelevant.

Another Scott on June 05, 2012, 08:59:14 am
From where I look, some threads are marked "new", some are not so marked.  This has always been the case.  I haven't paid enough attention to see what determines the little blue "new" label, except to note that sheer newness, either of the thread or of replies, seems irrelevant.

It looks to be a matter of recording for each thread either a simple timestamp or the number of the last reply whenever you visit a thread. If you refresh the topics page, then any threads with replies that are more recent than the saved record will be tagged with the blue "New" button. Clicking on the "New" button will take you directly to the reply after the one you (theoretically) last viewed. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to play nicely with paged topics. Rather than recording the last reply on the highest numbered page you viewed, it marks everything read to the end of the last page, even if you never click through to it.

macsnafu on June 05, 2012, 10:04:17 am

How does that account for the fact that on all three of my computers, every other thread shows as "new"?
I know that two computers and an iphone dont all of a sudden show me a forum where everything is brand new, but nothing else is.

I can't account for your experience, but I can tell you that I didn't have that experience.  The threads created by TeamGirl just disappeared on me.  Perhaps you simply haven't kept up with the threads like you think you have?
I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.

ContraryGuy on June 05, 2012, 11:56:06 pm

I can't account for your experience, but I can tell you that I didn't have that experience.  The threads created by TeamGirl just disappeared on me.  Perhaps you simply haven't kept up with the threads like you think you have?

Perhaps. 

But even on a busy day, i have never seen all of the threads suddenly have "new" responses.
I did check the timestamps, and even the Last post dates in April were "new".

TeamGirl-Redu on June 06, 2012, 12:14:22 am

TeamTroll deleted his posts...That's not the party line, that's the truth.

I'm still waiting for you to prove that.

TeamGirl-Redu on June 06, 2012, 12:15:20 am

... the Big Head administration has given me the authority to remove anyone from the Forum.

Please delete my account.

Thank you.

anything