Oldhobo on March 19, 2012, 01:00:40 pm
I would really like to see a complete timeline of the TFS timeline.  Wonderful story.  The only characterization I have a problem with is that of Gene Roddenberry.  I do not think he would have embraced libertarianism.  If you listen to the characters talk on TNG about the moneyless economy and the characterization/charicaturization of the Ferengi lead me to believe that Roddenberry would have not been happy in the TFS. 
-O

Scott on March 22, 2012, 03:06:12 pm
One of the themes of this story is, that while you're responsible for your decisions, in a better world it's easier to be a better person.

Roddenberry is not the only character with a different outlook in the story than he had in real life. The three Texas Rangers are alt-world versions of Malcolm X, George Lincoln Rockwell, and Meier Kahane who was the founder of the Jewish Defense League. Racial separatists, all of them (or at least, Malcolm X was for most of his adult life). But in the R,T universe, they don't have that baggage and so are able to be close friends.

Oldhobo on May 29, 2012, 01:43:11 pm
Ha ha ha! I caught Malcolm Little but not the other two.  That is awesome but again, would love a complete timeline, perhaps another story in this setting.  How extensive has the terraforming been on Mars?
Thank you.
-O
PS-You are a lot nicer than I would have been to those people. 

srogerscat on January 07, 2014, 09:56:36 am
A wonderful story, which I am enjoying greatly.

On quibble about the Texican war of independence?

Minus Santa Anna, I'm not sure the battle of San Jacinto is any sort of pivotal incident.

I mean, the whole point was that Santa Anna led an advance guard which got separated from the bulk of the army and got bushwhacked - a mistake that General Cos ( no Wellington to be sure, but a better general than Santa Anna) is not likely to make.

Scott on January 10, 2014, 09:39:41 am
El Neil replies:

My reply is that anyone can speculate, a century and three quarters after the fact. For some unknown reason, Robert E. Lee, unquestionably a great general, declined to capture Washington, D.C. when he might easily have done so. It was oneof two great mistakes he acknowledged later in kife (the other was surrendering),

Let's just say that, lacking their victory at San Jacinto, Houston and Crockett would have set up some other kind of trap, equally clever and deadly. Anybody desperate and determined enough to load his cannon with horseshoes cut in half (even Henry Knox didn't think of that) can't be properly predicted.

srogerscat on January 10, 2014, 09:50:13 am
Thank you for the reply!

It was  a quibble, did not affect my enjoyment of the story at all. 

And as a history nerd, i well understand that others are not history nerds.

San Jacinto was a famous battle, using a modified event as a springboard to keep the story  moving is far more conducive to maintaining narrative flow than the exposition a completely new event would require.

The history nerd in me is burning to address your comment about Lee and attacking Washington DC directly... but this is not the place.

srogerscat on January 12, 2014, 08:17:47 am
On a lighter note...

With Santa Anna dead before San Jacinto, is Emily D. West still the Yellow Rose of Texas?

Conceivably, she could be the mother/grandmother of Old Man West.

In that vein, I wonder if Artemus Gordon became the "Q" for  the Texas Rangers.