jhpace1 on December 09, 2016, 08:52:58 am
Black and white vs color updates...

I think we can all agree as fans, seeing daily updates is preferable to no updates at all!  Just making the comment, since I cannot find where anyone else has.  Quantum Vibe: Assimilation has been updating a little slow lately, mostly b&w first with color following 24 hours later.

But keep up the good work, Scott & team!

Scott on December 11, 2016, 05:28:14 pm
Black and white vs color updates...

I think we can all agree as fans, seeing daily updates is preferable to no updates at all!  Just making the comment, since I cannot find where anyone else has.  Quantum Vibe: Assimilation has been updating a little slow lately, mostly b&w first with color following 24 hours later.

But keep up the good work, Scott & team!

Thanks! Our colorist had fallen behind, but we're caught up now, and we should have regular full-color, on-time updates going forward.

jmsr7 on May 16, 2017, 01:44:24 pm
Hi, i'm James, thanks for this thread.

Dunno how many times is 'a few' but i guess every post helps.  Wasn't planning to post much anyway.

I'm not a libertarian (i find the whole idea absurd and inherently self-contradictory) but i do believe that economic and political systems are very dependent on the technology levels and by extension, resource availability.  Given that, i'm enjoying the whole Quantum Vibe series so far.

For example, one would expect slavery to go away once machines replace the needed workers; but return once the machines become sentient, then go away again once the sentient machines demand their rights, which seems to have happened in the 'QVverse.'  So, ya know, good portrayal.

jmsr

Redwood Elf on May 18, 2017, 03:36:56 pm

I'm not a libertarian (i find the whole idea absurd and inherently self-contradictory)

Just curious. What  part of Libertarianism is "absurd and Self Contradictory?" I don't see any contradictions myself. Perhaps if you were more specific?

wdg3rd on May 19, 2017, 07:14:54 am

I'm not a libertarian (i find the whole idea absurd and inherently self-contradictory)

Just curious. What  part of Libertarianism is "absurd and Self Contradictory?" I don't see any contradictions myself. Perhaps if you were more specific?

Yup, the Zero Aggression Principle is easy.  Do not initiate force.  Or to quote Will Smith, "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'"
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Outsider on June 07, 2017, 07:10:13 am

Yup, the Zero Aggression Principle is easy.  Do not initiate force.  Or to quote Will Smith, "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'"

Is it though?   Sometimes what constitutes "initiating force" seems to get a bit squishy.

Sure, if someone is trying to kill me, I can shoot them in the head.

But what if they're just trying to steal from me?  Can I use deadly force to defend my property?

If so, does the value of the property I am defending make a difference?

If I am within my rights to shoot someone in the head for trying to steal a significant asset, like my car, am I also within my rights to shoot them in the head for stealing an insignificant asset, like a candy bar from my market?

Do the personal characteristics of the thief make a difference in my right to use deadly force to defend my property?  Am I within my rights to shoot a child for stealing/trying to steal a candy bar?

Stealing is taking property from someone else without their agreement, and property is basically a physical manifestation of value.  So is someone 'stealing' from me if they intentionally do things to devalue my property? 

Can I shoot my neighbor in the head if he knows I am trying to sell my house, and starts playing loud music, keeping hulked cars in his front yard, and hosting a pedophile support group every Tuesday and Friday, in an effort to get me to pay him to 'be good' while the sale is on?  What if he isn't asking for payment, but is doing this to drive down the price for a friend of his?  Or simply because he doesn't like me?  Heck, what if he has no intent at all, and is just a really bad neighbor?

customdesigned on June 07, 2017, 06:28:25 pm
Solomon's elaboration of NAP (Proverbs 3:27-30):

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
when it is in your power to act.

Do not say to your neighbor,
“Come back tomorrow and I’ll give it to you”—
when you already have it with you.

Do not plot harm against your neighbor,
who lives trustfully near you.

Do not accuse anyone for no reason—
when they have done you no harm.

Redwood Elf on June 08, 2017, 08:32:08 am

Sure, if someone is trying to kill me, I can shoot them in the head.

But what if they're just trying to steal from me?  Can I use deadly force to defend my property?
NO. Unless the property is literally keeping you alive (Like your  medication or diabetic supplies.) Deadly force is ONLY permissible against a potentially fatal threat. You can punch them in the face though.

If so, does the value of the property I am defending make a difference?

no. See above.

If I am within my rights to shoot someone in the head for trying to steal a significant asset, like my car, am I also within my rights to shoot them in the head for stealing an insignificant asset, like a candy bar from my market?

no. See Above.

Do the personal characteristics of the thief make a difference in my right to use deadly force to defend my property?  Am I within my rights to shoot a child for stealing/trying to steal a candy bar?

no. See above.

Stealing is taking property from someone else without their agreement, and property is basically a physical manifestation of value.  So is someone 'stealing' from me if they intentionally do things to devalue my property? 

Can I shoot my neighbor in the head if he knows I am trying to sell my house, and starts playing loud music, keeping hulked cars in his front yard, and hosting a pedophile support group every Tuesday and Friday, in an effort to get me to pay him to 'be good' while the sale is on?  What if he isn't asking for payment, but is doing this to drive down the price for a friend of his?  Or simply because he doesn't like me?  Heck, what if he has no intent at all, and is just a really bad neighbor?
No. See Above. And this situation is what the local private security force would be for in Ancapistan.

For further information, See videos like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP9Aj_7w9y0  (Note that this is Anarcho Capitalism, not just Libertarianism, but the two share a lot of basic concepts)

customdesigned on June 08, 2017, 01:25:16 pm
For the gory real life outcomes of a voluntary ("all that the Lord has said, we will do" Exodus 19:7-8) Constitutional Anarchy (rules, but no rulers), see Judges in the Bible.  Followed in Samuel, Kings, Chronicles by the even gorier history of a Constitutional Monarchy ("we want a king to be like other nations!").  Whether or not you agree with the actual set of rules, it is instructive.

mariospants on October 06, 2017, 08:03:21 pm
Hi, I've been reading Quantum Vibe for a couple of years now, Scott, your stories are excellent, and your art is often excellent as well... your output is also ridiculously dependable and frequent!

Just wanted to say, could someone start a thread regarding Star Trek: Discovery and how shockingly similar it is to the story of Quantum Vibe???

anything