Arnuz on January 28, 2012, 01:01:36 am
Oh right the boyfriend. It's a small solar system.

qvic on February 01, 2012, 12:14:57 am
So you post by clicking on "reply"?

Hope it works.

I'm the sort who thinks that bachelors like me should be taxed even more to give the money to people with children, and who also agrees with everything Krugman writes in the NY Times, so you can guess that I'm reading your Webcomic because of the science fiction in it and not the politics.

When the beagle boys came in two days ago I thought it was fun to see goons like that appear .  Yesterday I hoped those brutes would disappear, and now I feel sorry for them.

Scott on February 01, 2012, 02:05:41 pm
The goons attempted the kidnapping of a helpless rejuv patient -- and when they deemed the revival procedure too time-consuming, they were on the verge of killing him outright.

So no, don't feel sorry for them. They have reaped what they sowed.

wdg3rd on February 01, 2012, 03:17:54 pm
I'm the sort who thinks that bachelors like me should be taxed even more to give the money to people with children, and who also agrees with everything Krugman writes in the NY Times, so you can guess that I'm reading your Webcomic because of the science fiction in it and not the politics.

If you want to give your money to people with kids then do so.  Don't steal it from other people who are not so inclined.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Scott on February 02, 2012, 12:15:47 am
Actually I'm pleased to see readers like qvic here -- my goal here is to create a story compelling enough that even people who don't agree with my politics can appreciate it. That's why I generally keep the politics in the background. Also, I quickly grow bored with echo-chambers, and it's good to have diverse viewpoints represented here.

qvic on February 02, 2012, 02:17:58 am
The goons attempted the kidnapping of a helpless rejuv patient -- and when they deemed the revival procedure too time-consuming, they were on the verge of killing him outright.

Well, yes, I certainly had no intention to start reciting “Now cracks a noble heart. Goodnight sweet prince…” over any of their remains.  But I shall still mourn them for the potential for comic relief that dumb fist-fighting ruffians can bring.  In the first strip they reminded me so much of the beagle boys! I will console myself with the, ah, er, hum, “flexible” bedside manner of this lady doctor.

qvic on February 02, 2012, 02:20:37 am

If you want to give your money to people with kids then do so.  Don't steal it from other people who are not so inclined.

Even if I read the NY Times now and then I don’t live in the same country as you do. So there’s not the slightest risk that my voting for a given party might lead to the introduction of higher income taxes that might affect you.  Quite the opposite:  I happen to think that while higher income taxes for me (and other bachelors with no dependents) are a good idea, I also think that any kind of sales tax is an odious burden on the poor while being inconsequential for the rich.  So I basically vote for those who think like me on this, and one day perhaps we will repeal all forms of sales taxes in my country.  This means that one day (perhaps ) you, as a tourist, could buy anything and not pay any tax at all if you came to visit my country.  See?  Your money is incredibly safe from me.

Mikelo on February 02, 2012, 11:29:30 am
I've been lurking around for a little while now, so i might as well introduce myself. My name is Mike Conway, and I found Quantum Vibe after finding The Probability Broach, and Big Head's comics are a breath of fresh air to me.

Not just kissing ass here.  ;)

macsnafu on February 03, 2012, 08:18:10 am

Well, yes, I certainly had no intention to start reciting “Now cracks a noble heart. Goodnight sweet prince…” over any of their remains.  But I shall still mourn them for the potential for comic relief that dumb fist-fighting ruffians can bring.  In the first strip they reminded me so much of the beagle boys! I will console myself with the, ah, er, hum, “flexible” bedside manner of this lady doctor.

Well, if he really wants to add some Beagle Boys fun, he can just come up with some more of these Moon-men.  After all, the Beagle Boys had plenty of relatives!
I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.

Scott on February 03, 2012, 02:19:59 pm
GENSAXWAL churns out these various models of Enforcer-class clones by the thousands. So, we'll likely see some again.

axhandle on February 06, 2012, 08:42:40 am
The only thing missing from the goon-clones was serial numbers consisting of permutations of 176-671.
Regarding Samantha the "furball".  Is she a genetically modified human, an android, or a genetically modified animal like Florence in Freefall?
I love the artwork in this series.

Scott on February 06, 2012, 01:04:34 pm
In the more-free societies here, people often re-engineer themselves to suit their fancies (most often this happens after their original bodies have worn out so much that they need to do a full rejuvenation treatment, but not always). So, Samantha and any other "furry" type you see here are, most likely, modified humans. (There are a few androids who do this too, or were manufactured that way.) It's all an out-growth of the "furry" sub-culture we see in the present day.

There will also be modified animals, but at the time of the story there is a cultural taboo against bringing non-human animals up to sapience, so these are fairly rare. It has to do with some history which will be revealed much later in the story.

rfaramir on February 06, 2012, 05:10:13 pm
Don't know what the taboo would be from directly, but H.G. Wells had a good idea of how bad an idea it might be in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Island_of_Doctor_Moreau.

I love Freefall, too! Poor Bowman's Wolf is in a pickle.

I wonder if in a couple thousand years, people who have become furries, or legends about them, become the basis of a renaissance of belief in reincarnation.

customdesigned on February 08, 2012, 01:43:29 pm
Why didn't the security guards order pizza instead of going out for it?  Are delivery services super expensive on luna?  I would have though a relatively dumb robot could carry out delivery tasks, making it cheap.  Perhaps it was a security risk to give out the real address, and they ordered delivery to a nearby office which they could walk to in a few minutes (unfortunately plenty long enough for an attacker waiting for just such a moment)?

Scott on February 09, 2012, 09:25:29 am
Well, yeah, they should have ordered delivery, but they didn't. Not because of cost, though. Because they were restless, and wanted to go out for a bit, and figured, not unreasonably, that Luther could handle any celebrity-stalker that might show up. They weren't expecting a trio of beefy, shock-gauntleted Enforcer-class Terrans. They screwed up.

It's a good question, though, and I'll try to fit this explanation into the strip later if I can.