Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: For New Fans  (Read 53568 times)
Scott
Administrator

« on: December 21, 2011, 03:01:59 pm »

Since the forum is set up to not allow people to start new topics until after they've posted a few times in others, I'm setting this up as a place for newbies to introduce themselves and make whatever comments they like that don't fit into other topics. If a longish thread develops here I'll likely split it off into a separate topic.

Let's see how this works.

Zaylinda

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 10:50:26 pm »

Ok, I'll try this!
Hi, I go by Z, Zay, or Zaylinda.
I'm a pretty typical lurker, and I'm pretty shy, so I probably won't post much.
rfaramir

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:09:00 am »

I mostly lurk, as well, usually as a guest. I'm a Christian and a staunch anarcho-capitalist libertarian.
oigoleral

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 12:35:58 pm »

Hello and thank you from Portugal.

I'm a IT worker, interested in the libertarian point of view. But the artful way stories are told in this site is a main reason for the regular visit.

The "New Fans" thread is a good idea.

As a side note this is my third post, the others where washed sometime ago on some data fire.

Cheers,
oigoleral
MultiTool

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:46:12 am »

Hi,

First time post, love Quantum Vibe, read it every day. 

I think I have found an error in today's strip though.  This world balloon in panel 6 is not pointing to O'Neill:
O'Neill: 'Twas 'cause of my wife, ya see. Dumped me, she did.

It is pointing to the Loonie instead, so I was confused until I read the transcript.  (If only every web comic had a searchable transcript, again kudos for setting an example for how web comics *should* be done.)

BTW is O'Neill an homage to Gerard K. O'Neill?  Fitting for an L-5er.

Scott
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 11:14:26 am »

I seem to have some perceptual disability which leads me to making this mistake repeatedly with lettering. I see two characters, two balloons, I point one at each character. Or maybe it's because I do my lettering way too late at night when I should be in bed sleeping.

Anyway, it's fixed now.

piratep2r

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 09:16:56 am »

Hi Scott, hi folks.

May have found a minor error.  Was reading through the meeting with Hari again (http://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=251) and noted that Seamus calls Dr. Sharkisian a "he."  At first I thought that this was on purpose and humorous (Seamus isn't perfect after all and certainly makes assumptions) but then Hari also says something like "I'm glad you took my advice to go see him."  It doesn't seem likely that Hari doesn't know she is female.

I would note that her gender is established in the under comic text in comic http://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=270 as female ("her" office).  Plus she looks female, but before that I still wasn't sure, since body modifications seem pretty common so I didn't want to make assumptions.

Thanks for the hard work on this comic.  We don't see eye to eye politically (not that that matters) but your work ethic, art, consistency, and imagination, and intelligent content are really impressive.  Good job and I really enjoy your comic!

Peter
Scott
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 10:50:52 am »

Yeah, ya caught me in an error. I hadn't yet firmed up what Dr. Sharkisian would look like when I was drawing the scene at Hari's and pretty much at the last minute decided to make this character female.

moonweight

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 01:05:01 pm »

Firstly, thanks for this place to post for newbies.

Secondly, I have read TPB, Architect, QV(reading), Phoebus Krumm, Timepeeper and have found all of them to be really enjoyable. For comparison, I'd like to add that I have read only classics like Asimov, Heinlein, Larry Niven, etc and I find many of these of the same entertainment level, although a bit modern and local (US centred)

Thirdly, the artwork is brilliant. There are several other webcomics that arent as good at the art - so this one stands out.

I'm not a great fanboy of novels as such (Star Trek, Star Wars are another matter Cheesy ) so I only read once or maybe occasionally the second time. In my opinion, great scifi is that which brings forth unexpected concepts and thinking. Quantum Vibe has a good helping of that and also some well-thought out futuristic technology ideas.

I'd love to contribute any ideas to plots or concepts if that helps because I cannot afford to purchase the books.

Good luck and great stuff!
Fordi

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:26:21 am »

Neat.

I came here to specifically ask if "Davis Caverns" was a reference to "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", in which Manuel Garcia O'Kelly-Davis and his family are key players in the Lunar revolution.
Scott
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 09:11:53 am »

Yes, it's an homage to TMIAHM. One of several I'm sprinkling through this section. Not saying that Quantum Vibe exists in the same universe as that story -- in Luna/QV's history, for example, there was no Wyoming Knott. And the role assumed by Bernardo De La Paz in TMIAHM was undertaken by someone else -- actually two someone elses. And in the QV universe the revolution happened several decades later.

Fordi

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 08:38:01 pm »

Hooray for common geekdom!
Webleys

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 11:50:54 pm »

Davis Family Caverns, as in Manuel Garcia "Mannie" O'Kelly-Davis?

Greg from Minneapolis.
Arnuz

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 03:22:16 pm »

Hi all...

So remind me - who's Phil?!
wdg3rd

Canvas and Quicklime

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 04:19:18 pm »

Hi all...

So remind me - who's Phil?!

If you mean Philbert, he was the live-in that Nicole was supporting while he tried to build a music career.  He dumped her and left for another chick at the beginning of the strip.  He tried to come back and Nicole disciplined him with a (presumably light-weight) shovel.

Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@comcast.net        http://home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd/

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to:  

anything