mellyrn on May 14, 2012, 08:08:02 am
'Under weigh' is unusual, but acceptable, spelling of the term.

I find that quite odd, since a vessel is said to "have way" on her when she is in motion (in any direction, desired or not), and "give way" is to push off from the dock, i.e., to first gain motion.  She can get "under way" once she "weighs anchor" -- I imagine the sense of that deriving from the fact that when the weight of the anchor can be felt by the crew raising it, it has left the bottom and is no longer, um, anchoring the ship.  So maybe "under weigh" is found acceptable due to a conflation of homonyms, and the sense may be "under [the influence of having] weigh[ed anchor]".

People often write, "We'll try a different tact" instead of "tack", I think by a confusion of tack, the nautical term, with tactic, since the metaphor lies in using "physical approach'" (tack) as a stand-in for "strategies" (tactics).

It's kind of interesting, watching language evolve.

macsnafu on May 14, 2012, 09:45:15 am
Page 954, panel 4: under weigh -> underway ;)

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-und2.htm

Well, that's certainly a new one on me!
I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.

mwmeyer on May 14, 2012, 03:12:23 pm
The standard nautical spelling is "Under way".

Of course, since this is a spaceship, you could argue that the gravity-like behavior of acceleration makes the "weigh" spelling more appropriate. But I'd be even more ashamed of that pun than of having used the wrong homophone.

myrkul999 on May 14, 2012, 04:25:50 pm
But I'd be even more ashamed of that pun than of having used the wrong homophone.

It's been clearly shown that shame over a pun is not something that is likely to happen.

Andreas on May 14, 2012, 11:55:11 pm
Page 954, panel 4: under weigh -> underway ;)

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-und2.htm
I'd go as far as to say that "under weigh" is an outright misconception of the original "under way", but one so common that it has been accepted in some orthographies.
Seems that orthographic normativist are showing unusual lenience because this is an "elitist misconception" rather than the usual plebe misconceptions. ;D

Tucci78 on June 04, 2012, 02:34:28 am
Just noticed a typo in the third panel of page 857: "lunguist"

I missed that one. Thank you, sir.

Jeez, I just thought it was another term for "pulmonologist."
"I is a great believer in peaceful settlements," Jik-jik assured him. "Ain't nobody as peaceful as a dead trouble-maker."
-- Keith Laumer, Retief's War (1966)

wdg3rd on June 04, 2012, 07:01:28 pm
Just noticed a typo in the third panel of page 857: "lunguist"

I missed that one. Thank you, sir.

Jeez, I just thought it was another term for "pulmonologist."

Tooch, of course you thought like that.  You're a doctor.  (You should see how F Paul Wilson deals with medical malapropes over on the Repairman Jack fora).

By the way, are you the Tooch who used to be the lead of the Civil Liberties branch on theminingco.com (now about.com)?  I applied for the post, but it went to a left liberal with more time to kill (I had a job).
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Tucci78 on June 05, 2012, 07:28:52 pm
Tooch, of course you thought like that.  You're a doctor.  (You should see how F Paul Wilson deals with medical malapropes over on the Repairman Jack fora).

By the way, are you the Tooch who used to be the lead of the Civil Liberties branch on theminingco.com (now about.com)?  I applied for the post, but it went to a left liberal with more time to kill (I had a job).

I used to bump into Dr. Wilson at regional medical conventions.  Never met him at a Philcon or Lunacon (he's a North Jersey guy), much less any of the few Worldcons I've attended.

I'd have to ask him, but I think he started up the manuscript for An Enemy of the State (published in 1980) while he was either still in medical school or doing his internship.  He was definitely writing and publishing SF while he was a medical student.

No, I don't recall every having participated to any extent "on theminingco.com." 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:31:14 pm by Tucci78 »
"I is a great believer in peaceful settlements," Jik-jik assured him. "Ain't nobody as peaceful as a dead trouble-maker."
-- Keith Laumer, Retief's War (1966)

Brugle on June 15, 2012, 01:36:10 pm
It's fun to imagine the blessing of the animals assuming "precession" is used correctly in panel 978, but "procession" seems more likely.

SandySandfort on June 15, 2012, 04:41:10 pm
It's fun to imagine the blessing of the animals assuming "precession" is used correctly in panel 978, but "procession" seems more likely.

Yup, I had it wrong in the original short story. Good pick-up, thanks.

ZeissIkon on June 15, 2012, 05:48:06 pm
I'd go as far as to say that "under weigh" is an outright misconception of the original "under way", but one so common that it has been accepted in some orthographies.

The way I recall it, "under weigh" is what a ship becomes after she "weighs anchor".  She may "make way" or be "under way" once in motion, but she's "under weigh" even if still in irons after the anchor is aboard.  Yes, this goes back to the days of sail...

Andreas on June 17, 2012, 03:12:18 pm

The way I recall it, "under weigh" is what a ship becomes after she "weighs anchor".  She may "make way" or be "under way" once in motion, but she's "under weigh" even if still in irons after the anchor is aboard.  Yes, this goes back to the days of sail...

No, that's how people have rationalized the misuse of terms. Under way is the original term. "Under weigh" is the result of a kind of hypercorrection (incorrectly applying a more difficult (more high-status) rule to a case where the simple rule would be in effect, like if people were to use "luck" as a past tense of to lick, hypercorrecting from to stick > stuck).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:04:53 am by Andreas »

Gillsing on June 19, 2012, 01:43:47 pm
Near the end in the last panel of strip 980, is "abut" supposed to be just "but"?
I'm a slacker, hear me snore...

SandySandfort on June 19, 2012, 08:25:44 pm
Near the end in the last panel of strip 980, is "abut" supposed to be just "but"?

The ever-vigilant Gillsing scores again.

Andreas on June 20, 2012, 04:22:21 am
Hahaha, I just assumed it was some lingo I was unfamiliar with ;)