Rocketman on November 15, 2006, 06:03:00 am
L. Neil:
     I imagine that one of the reasons that you wrote the "Confederacy" series was in order to promote libertarian ideas among the general population and give them some ideas on looking at things besides the normal "statist" way.  It also seems to me lately that the SciFi channel has kind of gotten into a rut with various monsters like Sabertooth tigers and giant snakes threatening people and am just wondering if any thought has been given to having TPB and the rest of the series turned into a chain of SciFi TV mini-movies.  I think that it would be a big hit and would lead to having more libertarian type shows on.  Anyone with a comment concerning this is welcome to jump right in. :D

Scott on November 19, 2006, 11:41:40 pm
I think it's safe to say Neil would go for this, and so would I.

The thing is, the way these things work, someone from the film/cinema industry with decision-making power needs to discover us and take an interest. There are a few things we might do to help us along, but we just don't have the contacts presently. Do you know anybody?

Rocketman on November 22, 2006, 10:29:52 pm
Dear Scott:
  While I "personally" don't of anyone, one name that comes to mind would be Aaron Russo.  Mr. Russo was the producer of "Trading Places" with Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy and Jamie Lee Curtis and is very well known in Libertarian circles having run for the Liberarian Parties nomination for president back in 2003.  He currently has out a documentary called "From freedom to facism" that is getting some notice from the international community and stirring things up. :o

wdg3rd on November 23, 2006, 10:29:23 am
Problem is, Aaron hasn't done any films that involved much special effects or major prosthetic work (unless you consider Bette Midler's makeup).
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Rocketman on November 23, 2006, 01:32:51 pm
My point was more along the lines that even if Mr. Russo couldn't help directly, he still could provide a name or two of someone who could and might be willing to introduce L. Neil to that person.  Hollywood when it comes to the movers and shakers isn't that big of a town and if Mr. Russo liked the idea of TPB he might know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone at the Scifi channel.  At least that was my hope.  ;D

Rocketman on December 10, 2006, 05:26:32 am
Scott:
  Another couple of names of people who might be interested in getting TPB on SciFi came to me last night.
  Trey Parker and Matt Stone are the creators of "South Park" which is probably the most consistantly libertarian show on television and are both well known Libertarians.  I'de contact them, sending them off a copy of your graphic novel and see what they say.  I'll keep my fingers crossed. ;D 

Rocketman on December 31, 2006, 05:17:32 pm
This is a little off topic but without starting a whole new subject board I thought that everyone might like to know that while watching "The McLaughlin Group" this Sunday (Dec 31) morning the cast had their predictions for next year and the moderator John McLaughlin, right at the end of the program, predicted that authoritarism would begin to wane and that libertarianism would begin to replace it.  He mentioned the world
libertaranism twice.  That's one prediction that I hope with all my heart comes true.  :D

Bog on February 18, 2007, 08:27:42 am
Problem is, Aaron hasn't done any films that involved much special effects or major prosthetic work (unless you consider Bette Midler's makeup).

I'm a tolerably good effects animator.   I could probably find some friends who'd be more than happy to much in on a libertarian project.

Rocketman on February 18, 2007, 03:02:30 pm
Bog:
  I going to guess that the first question that Neil is going to ask is "do you have any connections to the television industry in general or the sci-fi channel in particular?"  Secondly, what kind of money are your friends going to be asking for to do the project?"  Third "What kind of timetable are we talking about?"  I have no offical interest in the animated TPB project but I would appreciate it if you would send me an e-mail from time to time concerning how it's going.  I can provide a private e-mail address to you if that's okay.

Bog on February 20, 2007, 09:46:51 am
Heh.

"Connections" - not in the swanky sense of the word, no.  I've been working in graphics and such for about 14 years, but mainly from the UK - so I'm not Innntimate with anyone from the Sci-Fi channel's commissioning board at all.   Some of my fellow pixel-shovellers work on some of the content on the Sci-Fi channel, but that's about it.

Speaking money?  Well, it's a bit early for that, yet.   The logical place to start would be to block out some of the "hero" shots of the peice, and to figure out how many man-hours would be required to come up with the sorts of visual that could be used to sell the concept to (eg) the Sci Fi channel.   In terms of cashy remuneration?  I don't know if L. Neil Smith's writing has buoyed him up on soft green cushions of lucre - one would hope, but realistically it's quite a costly endeavour to go about the pitching process for a new Sci-Fi, especially one as visually rich as T.P.B. would be given a live-action treatment.  So whether it'd be being paid up front to just help create pitch materials, or a mutual-risk mutual-reward arrangement is something that would need to be discussed.

Suffice it to say, that in principle it's all do-able.  Whether the Sci-Fi channel would pick up on it or not?  Well, it's a thumpingly good tale, it's visually stimulating, lots of action and vie-ho-lence, attractive and toothsome ladyfolk and so on.   I think it'd be a belting miniseries, to be honest. 

Rocketman on February 20, 2007, 08:59:01 pm
Well, it seems to me that your saying what the first couple of posts on this topic have already said.  Namely, in order to get to the next level you need either money (alot of it) or connections to Hollywood bigwigs.  Even though it is early in the process it might be helpful to at least get a ball park figure on what the cost of CG of the Probability Broach would be.  That would probably be one of the questions asked by anyone with an interest in producing it.  It all boils down to finding someone in Hollywood that is willing to look at it and like it enough to show it to someone who has the power to make it happen. :-\

Bog on February 21, 2007, 10:56:49 am
Not that much, really.   Part of getting the thing pitched and made is the initial treatment - having a screenplay is a good start, but also having some previsualisation doesn't hurt a bit.   Consequently, having someone like Yours Truly beavering away on some test imagery would be no bad thing.   Like I say, for something close to my heart like this I'd be willing to consider a profitshare system, rather than demanding money up front.   

Heck, leafing through the graphic novel, I might be tempted to take some bits and pieces on just for the fun of it.  (I know - I have a very strange definition of fun).  'Course, just doing things "for a jolly" turns into a major case of "Hunt the Spare Hour" to get things done in.   

Rocketman on February 22, 2007, 12:31:22 pm
I think I understand what your saying.  I remember watching a TV program a few years ago showing how George Lucas was trying to convince 20th Century Fox to produce an offbeat (for the time) science fiction movie called "Star Wars".  You may have heard of it :o, anyhow he got some artist to draw up some sketches of scenes in the movie to show to show the decision makers including the head of the studio at the time Alan Ladd Jr.  Ladd said that the decision to go ahead with production was largely because of those drawings which were able to convey the story in a way that mere words couldn't.

Bog on February 22, 2007, 03:16:01 pm
Or similarly, a Scottish bloke named Ron Thornton read about some spacey thing, and sat down at his Amiga to build his idea of the principal location of the story.

History records J. Michael Straczsinki saying something like "My God!  That is Babylon 5!" when he saw the initial renders.  Possibly less politely, mind.  So it's not just whistling.  I'm making a serious offer if Mr. Smith would like to take me up on it.  I'd truly love to see The Probability Broach made as a teleplay of some stripe, and I'd be honoured to help out if I can.   Like I say, though, there's a world of difference to try to crowbar it into my schedule as a hobbying (I'm rather tied up between teaching 3D, working for the British Library, and my normal slew of clients) and figuring out some kind of involvement schedule.   Just doing it on my own bat for fun,  I might have a piccie of the Corporate Ziggurat sometime by New Years' ;)  I'm not being priggish or anything, just saying that I could do with a few clones of myself running around the studio!

Rocketman on February 22, 2007, 03:32:30 pm
While I don't get the "piccie of the Corporate Ziggurat" reference, you do seem like a really decent guy and I hope that L. Neil takes you up on your offer.  Judging from your references you seem to be from the UK yourself.  Anywhere near Liverpool?  The reason that I ask is that I have distant relatives from my fathers side of the family over there.  By the way, I'm in sort of a related business, I'm a Computer aided design, Computed
aided manfacturing designer.

anything