Rocketman on October 30, 2006, 07:37:36 pm
L. Neil:
     Although you were pretty specific on the details of the .11 and .17 caliber Webley's, you were a lot less specific on the other weapons in the "probability broach" universe.  I'm guessing that the .375 Browning used by the alternate universe's detective Bear would probably hold around 20 rounds which would be the same as the USSR's Steckin machine pistol and the Walther- Zeiss laser pistol would because of it's Guccione cells would probably hold a charge of about 50 to 60 full power shots before the power pack (magazine)would be fully discharged.  My question would be that if these weapons were available today, which, if any, of the four would you like to carry? ???

Rocketman on November 04, 2006, 11:07:19 pm
Hey Everyone.
     I had originally intended for L. Neil to give his choice and then open a dialogue with everyone to see what you would have chosen, but appearently that's not going to happen.  Anyone else who wants to put their two cents in on what kind of weapon they would be carrying go ahead and jump in!!!!

wdg3rd on November 05, 2006, 06:51:36 am
Neil will be around.  Remember that he's busy writing. 
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Scott on November 10, 2006, 12:11:26 am
On an everyday basis, I'd probably carry one projectile weapon -- I'd like to get a select-fire version of the Tanfoglio Witness chambered in something like 10mm, and one laser pistol. Different tools for different situations. I would also own a flechette gun and other types of weapons for special situations or just for fun.

If Neil doesn't show up here soon I'll go jog his elbow for ya.

-3- on November 10, 2006, 02:34:01 pm
I still prefer a good sword, myself. But that wouldn't stop me from carrying the .375 Browning for ranged stopping power. But the geek in me is screaming "No, You Idiot! Take the laser!!!"

Maybe if I could get a nice custom job in a wand configuration...
===
that -3- guy
gallery: http://www.artof3.com
blog: http://www.artof3.com/3rdroad
mail: -3- at artof3 dot com
===

Rocketman on November 23, 2006, 01:39:31 pm
You know that's not a half bad idea.  Make a razor sharp Katana with a built in laser in the handle ;D  That would cover both short and long ranges.

Bog on April 01, 2007, 07:23:18 am
Hmm.  Whever I consider future weaponry as carry iron, I'm always minded of Beyond This Horizon by Heinlein, and latterly the Honor Harrington novels by David Weber.   In both these, the eternal M1911 makes a showing, and in contrast to the lasers prevalent in BTH, or the gravity-propelled darts of the Honorverse, the sheer cacophony and bowling-ball sized slug hurled by the 1911 puts the wielder at a massive psychological advantage.   (The fact that against a society geared to detecting power-driven weapons, a chem-fuelled slugthrower might as well be invisible is another key factor).  I'm something of a beleiver than a close-order combat is as much a battle of wills as it is of firepower (if, that is, it's not settled in the first shot), so the fact that the thunderclap of my first round is likely to both scare the bejayzus out of my opponent, as well as horrify him with the kinetic effects of the weapon.... hmmmm...

I'd love to see what I could do with a hand-laser on the range, and the Atomic Rockets site has some fascinating and well-thought-out cogitation on the subject of futuristic weaponry.    When all's said and done, though, I'd still feel happier if I could have a Springfield XD or similar in easy reach.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 07:28:18 am by Bog »

Rocketman on April 01, 2007, 08:42:21 am
"I'm something of a believer than a close-order combat is as much a battle of wills as it is of firepower "  I totally agree Bog.  That's why "Stopping Power" is such a hard term to define.  I remember reading one case where
a REALLY bad ass biker back in the the 1960's was hit by something like thirty eight  .357 and .45acp slugs and stayed on his feet.  It was the two twelve gage slugs (one to the head) that finally brought him down.  Compare that to numerous cases where some punk gets a .22LR in the leg, drops like a rock and begins crying for his momma.  :'(
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 08:44:13 am by Rocketman »

Sphynx on April 06, 2007, 01:49:26 pm
Decisions, decisions:  My current thinking mates flexibility with portablity (remember, this is the weaponry you put on instead of a wallet filled with government mandated ID's), and reliability.  This leads me to a .40 or .45 10 to 12 shot select-fire-pistol (all titanium, please) with controled expansion engineered hollowpoints, preferably frangibles.  This would be in an left-side appendix carry, mated to a 6-8 inch fixed blade (mmmm... Cold Titanium).  That blade is really a utility piece, something like the Chris Reeve's Nkonka (http://www.chrisreeve.com/nkonka.htm) than a main fighting knife.  For close-up, hot situations, add a Cold Titanium Wakasazi.  While a bigger prime blade like a Katana has its uses, my main style encorporates elements of the European sword & dagger style combined with Easter Oriental martial blade styles, also, I find the bigger blades difficult to carry in modern urban environments (think your car).

For situations (hopefully rare, I'm not really a fighter) where more flexablity/ammo was needed, I'd add the following: box magazine fed 12 gauge, like the Saiga shotguns build on the AK frame.  Box feed allows easy swapping between different types of rounds: Buckshot, Birdshot, Flechectte, slug.  This weapon would have a fully rifled barrel, for slug accuracy.  My prefered slug is a solid copper sabotted slug, preferably with controled expansion. (This is a wish list post, right?).

Rocketman on April 06, 2007, 07:09:30 pm
Interesting choice.  I like my Smith and Wesson 1955 in .45acp in a Galco shoulder holster with a Kel-tec 9mm
backup in the small of the back and frequently carry in addition a 6 inch Cold Steel tanto on my right side.  My motto has always been that there's no such thing as being over armed.   ;D

Sphynx on April 07, 2007, 01:13:14 pm
Interesting choice. I like my Smith and Wesson 1955 in .45acp in a Galco shoulder holster with a Kel-tec 9mm
backup in the small of the back and frequently carry in addition a 6 inch Cold Steel tanto on my right side. My motto has always been that there's no such thing as being over armed. ;D

I know that, in a forum like this, references to Heinlein go from de rigueur to passe', but on this subject I took to heart RAH's comments very early:

"A properly balanced sword is the most versatile weapon for close quarters combat ever devised. ... ... .... A sword never jams, never has to be reloaded, is always ready.  Its worst shortcoming is that it takes great skill and patient, loving practice to gain that skill;" (Oscar Gordon, from Glory Road). 

Whille R.A.H.'s character was refering to a full sized saber, this applies, less intensly, to blades down to the knife size.  The combination of a pistol, for "stopping power" (whatever that really is) and a knife or short sword meets the requiremnets for utility, portablity, and effectiveness.

Rocketman on April 07, 2007, 03:01:58 pm
While everything that your saying is technically true, I just don't feel comfortable with just an edged blade of any length Sphynx.  I guess it has to do that with every movie that I've seen based on historical events the guys with the swords who need to get close enough to the guys with the Boom Boom weapons to cut and slash end up getting cut down (excuse the expression) before they can get within range.
Imagine a mugger with a gun that sees you carrying a katana on your hip and decides to rob you.  All he has to do is stand back about 25 or 30 feet and order you to throw him your wallet.  :P

wdg3rd on April 07, 2007, 09:40:03 pm
He didn't say anything about having just an edged weapon.  I also rather like swords and I wish I could get that kampilan back from my late uncle, it was the most comfortable blade I ever got stopped by the cops for wearing.  Yes, I'll pull out a 1911 before a blade, but there are circs where a blade will save your ass even when you have a pistol.  The best weapon at any time is distance, and I have no problem with the idea that a pistol is something to stay alive with until I can get to a rifle.  Pistols and short knives (I won't consider a folding knife as a weapon unless you're violating the ZAP) can be concealed, rifles and swords can't be unless you're bigger/taller than I am and wearing a duster and probably a funny hat to distract the eye from the bulges in the coat).

I fenced for a couple of quarters at a community college after I got out of the USAF.  Poorly, as I don't develop reflexes well -- I tend to think first.  As a result, there are maybe 10,000 better swordsmen (and women - my teacher was female) than I am in the western hemisphere.  I'll take that as good odds in a random encounter, since a firearm is always my preferred reaction.

Of course, where I presently live I can't carry either gun or blade, so I'm just pissing into the wind if I'm attacked unless I'm holding something in my hands or am in reach of anything that can be converted.  Still won't necessarily keep me alive, but I won't go down easy.  Defending yourself is illegal in New Jersey anyway, even if it's just bare hands.  Bruise a mugger, he'll sue your ass or your estate, depending.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Frank B. on April 07, 2007, 10:32:42 pm
Imagine a mugger with a gun that sees you carrying a katana on your hip and decides to rob you.  All he has to do is stand back about 25 or 30 feet and order you to throw him your wallet.  :P

Of course, if he has the draw on you, you have a problem regardless of what you're carrying on your hip.  At that point, your best bet is to run for cover.  At that distance, especially with a handgun, the chances of them hitting a moving target are likely poor.  Takes a fair bit of skill to hit moving targets with anything other than a shotgun (and they're effectiveness drops rapidly with distance).

I suspect your point is that if the mugger sees a gun on your hip, he might be less inclined to try to rob you in the first place, and I agree that's possible.

Rocketman on April 08, 2007, 06:30:55 pm
In my prior post I thought that what he was saying was an edged weapon is superior to a pistol, rifle or shotgun in CQB.  I disagreed for the great majority of situations.  I hear of an incident once where in the Philippines where a huge Navy salior picked a fight with a eldery Philippine man who just happened to be an expert with balisong (butterfly) knives.  Before the navy man had a chance to draw his gun.  He was carved up like a turkey.  This would be one of the few times when a knife would be superior to a gun in a close quaters fight.  As far as missing a moving target at 25 or 30 feet your right about the majority of people who have little or no training not being able to shoot well.  I've been thru 2 combat pistol courses a number of years ago taught by a former member of the Orlando Florida SWAT team and you might be surprised about just how accurate a pistol can be shot by someone who knows how to shoot.  I've once fired an .45 Browning BDA at a 50 yard measured target and got a one and a half inch group.  That's bench rested with no time limit between shots.  That was almost 30 years ago and my eyesight and muscle coordination (not to mention lack of practice) are no where near what they were then.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 06:33:25 pm by Rocketman »

anything