Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the valets?  (Read 8598 times)
NeitherRuleNorBeRuled

« on: January 27, 2011, 01:34:13 pm »

Are the "valets" biological humanoids?  The script doesn't say, but the "ears" seem organic and they are not sitting in the same position which I would expect of more traditional robotic/electromechanical humanoids.
Scott
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 03:05:38 pm »

They are biological. More details will be forthcoming as the story unfolds.

halftrack

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 04:51:08 am »

Stooped shoulders, sloped foreheads, cranial implants, smaller stature; probably downbred for docility and utility?.

Every society needs drones, and sometimes robots don't fill the bill.
Mabuse

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:47:24 am »

Personally, I am wracking my brain as to what Gensaxwal could possibly be a contraction for (assuming it is a contraction and not some crazy future proper name) and wondering where I could get a suit as kick-ass as Bobinardi's in our sartorially deficient era.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:14:42 pm by Mabuse » Logged
terry_freeman

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 03:07:42 pm »

Ah, why are men in this age so freaking tame, sartorially speaking?

Let's start with men in business suits - why are 95% of dress shirts white? Why are men so timid? Why are bowties, string ties, and cravats so rare? Why are kilts almost non-existent outside of Scotland?

As for casual wear, jeans-and-sweatshirt, jeans-and-tee, and jogging suits seem to cover 95% of the male population. As for headgear, a baseball cap. That's it?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:44:33 am by terry_freeman » Logged
ZeissIkon

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 05:21:27 pm »

Ah, why are men in this age so freaking tame, sartorially speaking?

I strongly suspect it has something to do with acquiring unfortunate labels ("faggot", "monkey", "clown") if we dare to dress in anything, no matter how masculine its origins, that doesn't fit the current mold.  I'm sure the same thing applies five centuries form now; Mr. Bobinardi almost certainly wears, not what he chooses, but what he's required to wear for his social, economic, and business position.  Uniforms aren't a military and paramilitary innovation; given the range of full dress, dress, undress, fatigue, and off duty, a soldier has more legitimate clothing choices than a junior executive, at least over the past century or two.
NeitherRuleNorBeRuled

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 05:36:56 pm »

Let's start with men in business suits - why are 95% of dress shirts white? What are men so timid? Why are bowties, string ties, and cravats so rare?

I wonder why the necktie hasn't disappeared altogether?  They serve no purpose (originally they were used to hold collars closed, at least), restrict blood flow to the brain, and are incredibly uncomfortable.

I recall with great fondness a lecture I attended by Jon Bentley, in which, using a set of viewgraphs, he put one up with some AWK code on it.  He started to describe it, but began stammering.  He stopped, took of the necktie he was wearing, smiled, and moved to the next viewgraph, on which was written:

It is impossible to understand a computer program while wearing a tie.

He then went back to the previous viewgraph and continued.

Brilliant man, that Dr. Bentley.
halftrack

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 06:12:58 am »

Personally, I am wracking my brain as to what Gensaxwal could possibly be a contraction for (assuming it is a contraction and not some crazy future proper name) and wondering where I could get a suit as kick-ass as Bobinardi's in our sartorially deficient era.

General Electric, Saks 5th Avenue, and Walmart?
terry_freeman

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 07:28:07 am »

General Electric, Saks 5th Avenue, and Walmart?

I would not be surprised. LOL.
Scott
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 10:47:06 am »

Close. General Electric, Goldman Sachs, WalMart. And several dozen other corporations gobbled up along the way.

Politics in the Sol System is dominated by eight super-sized corporate entities known as "mercorps" (merchantile corporations). Terra (Earth), Luna (the Moon) and Huoxing (Mars) each have two. L-5 City has one, although its characteristics are fairly unique as will be revealed in the story. The Belters have a co-op, rather than a mercorp, which serves as a front used by various Belter enterprises for dealing with the mercorps.

I've got a 500-year historical time-line worked up detailing how all this developed, which I will post on the site someday.

spudit

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 06:43:55 pm »

The slouchy little guys are taxpayers with 500 years more training, good citizens who know their place Smiley

Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?
quadibloc

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 03:42:41 pm »

Ah. If Seamus' problems will continue and worsen, then, he won't be disappearing from the story.

So Nicole doesn't just fly past the Sun, and return to Earth in the year 1930, armed with her future scientific knowledge, to rewrite our history so that Gensaxwal never comes into existence.

Instead, change will be more gradual and complex - and take place within the same future time as we are now viewing.
spudit

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 04:21:42 pm »

Maybe they will come back to the present, kidnap whales and repopulate the species in the future.

Could be I'm confused,
again.

Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?
Katalina

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 11:44:36 pm »

Ok, coming out of Lurk-Mode and hope that I don't make a total ass of myself here. [trust me it's bound to happen sooner or later]

I wonder if an Associate can break out of that social station? The reason I say this, is because I look at Seamus and he has the same broken down beaten expression on his face that many of the Associates have.

Ok yes, it is Way too far a stretch for me to say that perhaps Seamus was once an Associate. Then again, so is many of the other things occurring in the story.
KBCraig

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 03:36:02 am »

Ok, coming out of Lurk-Mode and hope that I don't make a total ass of myself here. [trust me it's bound to happen sooner or later]

I wonder if an Associate can break out of that social station? The reason I say this, is because I look at Seamus and he has the same broken down beaten expression on his face that many of the Associates have.

Ok yes, it is Way too far a stretch for me to say that perhaps Seamus was once an Associate. Then again, so is many of the other things occurring in the story.

Brilliant first post!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: