Mabuse on September 17, 2010, 12:55:09 am
I give you all three guesses, and just to make it simpler; subtract two guesses.

sehlat on September 17, 2010, 01:06:53 am
Meet the new CEO. Maybe they'll give him time off for good behavior.

Tucci78 on September 24, 2010, 12:30:28 pm
--
Regarding "the immortal school" (a branch of which the new Ceo had wished to open), have I missed something, or are we yet to be informed of this institution?
--
"I is a great believer in peaceful settlements," Jik-jik assured him. "Ain't nobody as peaceful as a dead trouble-maker."
-- Keith Laumer, Retief's War (1966)

Mabuse on September 27, 2010, 03:23:33 am
--
Regarding "the immortal school" (a branch of which the new Ceo had wished to open), have I missed something, or are we yet to be informed of this institution?
--

Go back to the start of the comic.

Tucci78 on September 27, 2010, 06:45:03 pm
--
--
Go back to the start of the comic.
--
Got it.  I had done so (for another purpose entirely) not long after having posted the above message.  Is there however a reason why a branch of the Immortal School should not be viable on Sibola - apart from the fact that it's supposed to be "a deeply puritanical culture"?
--
"I is a great believer in peaceful settlements," Jik-jik assured him. "Ain't nobody as peaceful as a dead trouble-maker."
-- Keith Laumer, Retief's War (1966)

Rocketman on September 27, 2010, 11:42:25 pm
apart from the fact that it's supposed to be "a deeply puritanical culture"?
Normally, a culture like that have a great many taboos of which I'm guessing is one of them.  As in
"To live forever is a violation of God's covenant to man and is therefore an abomination."  I'm not sure of what the penalty would be but I suspect that it would be worse than even a bath in feces.  If I were in his position I would serve for awhile in order to get my money out of there and then fake my own death.   ;D

quadibloc on October 04, 2010, 09:42:15 am
Of course, no reason is needed apart from it being a puritanical culture, if the same breathing medium that grants immortality has a genuine effect on the libido.

What I find strange, though, is that all that was needed was to ritually banish the old CEO. The old regime was shown to be a cruel tyranny; thus, we have him hunting insufficiently pious peasants like pheasants. One would have therefore expected that those who acted as his enforcers - and as his torturers - would fear for their safety under a new regime that was not evil - and so they would put him back in power, ignoring tradition and taboo.

At least in our world, accepting "I was just following orders" as a perfectly good excuse, and having a no hard feelings amnesty that people can trust is a hard stunt to pull off. (Yet, with such things as "truth and reconciliation" proceedings in South Africa, it has been approached in our world.)

Rocketman on October 04, 2010, 09:46:15 am
I am mildly surprised that all the old CEO got was a bath in feces.  Considering that he ordered people turned into monsters I fugured that the punishment that he should receive is to be turned into one himself.  As far as I'm concerned, he got off real lucky.   :(

Scott on October 04, 2010, 04:09:54 pm
"Considering that he ordered people turned into monsters"

Are you referring to the Oplyte warriors? No, that wasn't Halliburton's doing. The Oplytes were creations of an uber-collectivist, secret polity known only to themselves as "The Aggregate." The Aggregate created the Oplyte monsters and through various intermediaries traded them with various Clusterian governments eager to have obedient super-soldiers in their employ.

Bretta Islay/Martyn and her family tracked down and destroyed The Aggregate in the prequel to PHOEBUS KRUMM, the prose novel titled BRETTA MARTYN. It might still be in print and is worth puchasing and reading. This is why you only see Oplytes here in flash-back scenes.

Rocketman on October 04, 2010, 08:21:17 pm
"Considering that he ordered people turned into monsters"

Are you referring to the Oplyte warriors? No, that wasn't Halliburton's doing. The Oplytes were creations of an uber-collectivist, secret polity known only to themselves as "The Aggregate." The Aggregate created the Oplyte monsters and through various intermediaries traded them with various Clusterian governments eager to have obedient super-soldiers in their employ.

Bretta Islay/Martyn and her family tracked down and destroyed The Aggregate in the prequel to PHOEBUS KRUMM, the prose novel titled BRETTA MARTYN. It might still be in print and is worth puchasing and reading. This is why you only see Oplytes here in flash-back scenes.

Scott, I was referring to the Oplyte warriors.  If it wasn't Haliburton's doing then my previous post was in error and I apologize.  I own and have read "Bretta Martyn" but it was a very long time ago and I didn't remember all of the details.

emb021 on October 06, 2010, 11:30:46 am
(tried to start a new thread, but don't see how)

So, looks like "Phoebus Krumm" is over???

While you come out with a trade paperback collection???

John DeWitt on October 07, 2010, 12:13:01 pm
Yup, it seems to be over.  With more of a whimper than a bang.

After hundreds of pages of buildup, the climactic battle rated about four panels and was overshadowed by a fistfight.  The horridly despotic government of whatchamacallit kissed the boo-boo and made everything all better by pitching its frontman bloodlessly into a pool of goo and sending him away.  It would take far longer than the effort is worth to catalog all the dangling plot points that will now forever be left hanging.  But at least, to our great surprise, the right guy got Bretta.  They all lived happily ever after, the end.

El Neil has done better work. 

Scott on November 04, 2010, 11:33:52 am
emb021:
There will be a trade paperback collection, in the spring of 2011. We'll announce it on our news page.

John:
Sorry we disappointed you, but I'm wondering what plot points were left dangling. The threat presented by the dreadnought to The Monopolity of Hanover was neutralized by taking it out of the hands of the Jendyne Empiry-Cirot. The Corist regime of Halliwater was overturned and a more reasonable regime -- namely Frantisek with his son Gav positioned to back him up -- replacing it, presaging more peaceful relations between the two largest powers in the Cluster. The Hero got the Girl, and they're going back to Hannover II to explain to Ceo Lia what happened. Aaron and Loreanna Islay return to Moon-ringed Skye with their world's independence enhanced.

Of course, there are still possibilities for more stories in this universe. Because there's always another day.

Rocketman on November 05, 2010, 06:52:09 am
I too thought that it ended rather abruptly and while I was satisified with the outcome wished that it had been drawn out more.  We could have seen maybe Haliburton with his few remaining friends trying to return to the throne by skullduggery or how Gav reacted when he learns that Bretta Islay didn't pick him as the man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.  I still wish that L. Neil would do a second story on the characters of Roswell Texas.  I really enjoyed that story.   ;D

anything