LNeil on September 07, 2006, 09:46:55 am
A reader wrote:

> I am reading and digging Roswell, TX. I have a question -- how [do the Federated States] of
> Texas fund [the]  government? In the scene where Lyndon Johnson gets in the shootout with
> the boys, the blue trash can is labelled with horrible warnings against damaging the trash can
> for any reason - the Rangers hold fire so as no to damage the Trash can. How is the rule
> enforced? What are the pentalties?

....You're on the right track, sir, and we explain it better in the text novel, which we're going to find a publishing home for Real Soon Now.

....In the Federated States orf Texas, there are no taxes. This is not a completely libertarian state, it got where it is sort of organically. On the way, it acquired a monopoly on the collection (for which it doesn't charge) and recycling of garbage I figured that, if recycling is such a swell idea, then the government ought to be able to pay for itself that way. Of course it does, but just barely.

....The penalty for molesting a garbage can is about the same as it is here for messing with a mailbox. Texas does have a prison, but there aren't enough inmates to fill out the roster of a professional football team.

....Note, by the way, that there is no official Presidential residence. The house in Austin that we see belongs to the Lindbergh family (it's actually the "French Legation", the site of the first foreign embassy in "real" Texas history), and it was last used officially when Charlie's famous dad was President. Note also that presidents supply their own security: Wild Bill Bear in the elder Lindbergh's case; Bubba Singh in the younger's. Texican presidents are also expected to defend themselves -- as are all Texas citizens of good standing -- which is why you see Charlie armed at the beginning of the story.

....This custom is so thoroughly ingrained that, when the Pink Nazis loot the Vatican. the survivors refugee out to former Catholic girls' school in Brownsville, and a new Pope (the former Cardinal Fulton J. Sheen) takes over from the assassinated Pius XII, he orders that everyone working for the Church (including priests and nuns) comply with the letter and spirit of the law of the nation of which they are presently guests. That's why you see a .22 Colt Woodsman -- " ... only a Popegun, sir ... " -- on the poker table at Pius XIII's elbow.

....The only standing groups resembling a military are the Texas Rangers (of which there are damned few -- "One riot, one Ranger"), and the Texas Air Militia, which only has half a dozen planes.

....With a thoroughly armed society (of course you can get out of gun-toting if you apply for a license _not_ to carry a gun and go through fingerprinting and psychiatric evaluation) who needs and army or the cops?

Zen Redneck on September 07, 2006, 06:15:56 pm
Indeed. Virtually all Texan citizens are effectively members of the ready reserve a voluntary version of the Swiss system. Enforced by public opinion, much as churchgoing has been at times in history.

Much of this was stated explicitly by William Graham Sumner in his philosophical work, _The Teuton and the Celt_, in which he attributes the character of Texan society to the combination of Celtic individualism and Teurtonic civic pride, and largely on the strength of which he was elected President of Texas in the late 19th century.

eckoboss on October 13, 2006, 08:56:35 am
How do they defend their airspace with just half a dozen aircraft. I assume the planes are state of the art and the pilots are top notch aviator of the day, but is it enough? Are there any privately own military aircraft in texas?

Redem on October 14, 2006, 09:19:41 am
Well just consider how big texas is I would say make a major multi-front attack and air supremacy, the Royal air force I think have a like a thousand aircraft or so I doubt a trigger happy nation like Texas would have only 6 airplane.

Frank B. on October 14, 2006, 10:54:33 am
Well just consider how big texas is I would say make a major multi-front attack and air supremacy, the Royal air force I think have a like a thousand aircraft or so I doubt a trigger happy nation like Texas would have only 6 airplane.

Since there's no prohibition against owning one, I imagine there are plenty of privately owned battle capable aircraft (or even squadrons of them).

Redem on October 14, 2006, 11:39:01 am
must be nightmare to coordinate in case there is a war :P

anyway what's the price of one fighter?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 11:42:41 am by Redem »

Frank B. on October 14, 2006, 01:19:31 pm
must be nightmare to coordinate in case there is a war :P

anyway what's the price of one fighter?

In the Federeated States of Texas?  I have no idea.  Probably a lot cheaper than in the USA.

As to coordination, that's what they meant by a "well regulated militia".  I would imagine folks who own such things would form groups to practice with, just like any martial artist would. When the shit came down, they would have a pretty good idea of what to do and who to coordinate with.  And though they might be caught off guard by a surprise attack, they'd get it  together quickly enough. The advantage to not having a central command and control at the beginning is you don't have a single point of failure to exploit in any initial attack.  People can coordinate pretty well when they need to.

Redem on October 14, 2006, 08:48:03 pm
Well maybe, maybe not militia aren't per se gurantee to have a constant re-supply of people and re-supply of eqquippment like army does and if let's say a suprise attack was to take place if your can't get out of the air it is worthless

Frank B. on October 14, 2006, 09:06:14 pm
Well maybe, maybe not militia aren't per se gurantee to have a constant re-supply of people and re-supply of eqquippment like army does and if let's say a suprise attack was to take place if your can't get out of the air it is worthless

National armies have no such guarentees either.  When you're out, you're out.  Which is why it's good to have a wealthy population. The FST is the most successful economony on the planet.  They out-tech their neighbors.  What's a thousand turbo-props compared to 1/10 that number in equivalent jets?  Also, their distributed manufacturing base creates a difficult supply network to defeat.  And of course, the FST has nukes.

Redem on October 15, 2006, 12:40:33 am
actually they have so much nuke they can nuke an entire island just because someone meddle with their trade, rather than use good old diplomacy

Zen Redneck on October 15, 2006, 09:08:56 am
Texas is a bit like a redneck bar. No central command, no requirement for being armed. But somehow still not a good place to invade.

Frank B. on October 15, 2006, 09:29:09 am
actually they have so much nuke they can nuke an entire island just because someone meddle with their trade, rather than use good old diplomacy

The island was uninhabited.  They did what many of the Chicago group recommended doing in our universe rather than drop bombs on actual cities.  Demonstration of power is a tool of diplomacy, best used in later stages when it's clear you can't talk them out of meddling with you.

Redem on October 15, 2006, 10:57:12 am
Yeah but you can't really do that with Nuclear weapon because radiation will fall on those who where looking killing them. The radiation might go on several milles because of the wind and all.

Frank B. on October 15, 2006, 02:07:04 pm
Yeah but you can't really do that with Nuclear weapon because radiation will fall on those who where looking killing them. The radiation might go on several milles because of the wind and all.

Sure, but at the time, those things were not that well understood and had not been well thought out yet.  This was just another above-ground test for them. The after effects were relatively harmless (as far as they knew, and certainly as compared to actually dropping one on a city).  Today, we do it with below ground tests, just like the North Koreans have done recently.  I wonder if underground nuke explosions are detectable by orbital gamma-ray detectors?  I've only heard the press talk about seismic detection.

wdg3rd on October 16, 2006, 02:45:31 pm
Texas is a bit like a redneck bar.  No central command, no requirement for being armed.  But somehow still not a good place to invade.
No, as I recall, in the FST you have to get a special permit to go around in public unarmed.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

anything