ZoeBrain on March 10, 2010, 03:09:53 am
We spotted the various Doctors Who (without masks)  and the masks of US Presidents etc.

But there's lots of other Easter Eggs. I must ask my Eustace about the Bopamagilvie for example. The Interocitor reference should be obvious from This Island Earth, but how many know that that's part of the Attitude Control System for several satellites? They had a component that acted as the controller, as well as doing a few other things, so they called it an Interocitor. (No, it wasn't Ryberg electronics).

As an Australian, who met A Betram Chandler on a number of occasions, I'm aware of the Mannschen drive. The Moebius coil could be from Tesla, or possibly a part of the Necrosope.

What other fodder is there for Geeks?

wdg3rd on March 10, 2010, 11:33:03 pm
We spotted the various Doctors Who (without masks)  and the masks of US Presidents etc.

But there's lots of other Easter Eggs. I must ask my Eustace about the Bopamagilvie for example. The Interocitor reference should be obvious from This Island Earth, but how many know that that's part of the Attitude Control System for several satellites? They had a component that acted as the controller, as well as doing a few other things, so they called it an Interocitor. (No, it wasn't Ryberg electronics).

A lot of the folks at JPL and other places where those systems were developed were also fans of the classics.

As an Australian, who met A Betram Chandler on a number of occasions, I'm aware of the Mannschen drive. The Moebius coil could be from Tesla, or possibly a part of the Necrosope.

Only met him the one time, at a Westercon  around 1976 or so.  Nice guy.
The main usage of a Moebius coil that comes to mind would be in Keith Laumer's "Imperium" novels, though others have used the term since he first did in 1962.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Frankjc3rd on April 09, 2010, 05:16:40 pm
I posted this in another thread:

In the Ceos waiting room I was able to find at least four different actors that played The Doctor: William Hartnell, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, and Christopher Eccelston.  There may be more but I am not sure.

I was able to identify several masks:
michaeljackson
jacknicholson
johnfkennedy
barackobama
richardnixon
waldo
Nothing is forever, but the internet comes close.
Anonymous
I know me, I've seen me do it.
Ron White

Rocketman on May 14, 2010, 08:56:06 am
Just read today's panel.  The "Mr. Bill" was quite unexpected and helped frame the tie in between our timeline and theirs.   :D

wdg3rd on May 14, 2010, 11:49:46 pm
Just read today's panel.  The "Mr. Bill" was quite unexpected and helped frame the tie in between our timeline and theirs.   :D

Technically, it's not a different timeline (yet).  The concept is that after there was a (fairly small at the time) settlement on Luna, folks on Earth nuked the planet sterile.  The capability for the latter still exists, though the former recedes further into the future with every decision by various governments, especially that of the US and its NASA component.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

anything