Scott on February 15, 2010, 12:04:26 pm
Spam in any amount is annoying but so far the volume is small enough that Frank and I can deal with it by banning and deleting. If things get out of hand we may change tactics.

Rocketman on February 16, 2010, 09:48:19 am
I think that's the right tactic Scott.  The main thing is to delete them quickly so they know that their message isn't going to stay on long and they're wasting their time.   8)

Frank Bieser on February 26, 2010, 09:15:49 pm
Another on Odysseus The Rebel HTML error on p.153: double-quote in script
Username :StupidCamel, posts 1, no link, but rather a pitch after a shallow comment.
The comment doesn't look computer generated, or copied from elsewhere, but the mention of the link is definitely out of left field.

Got it.  They be banned.  Spam removed.

Sean Roach on March 03, 2010, 07:29:39 pm
Another.  Username:Stekys 3 posts, all in Odysseus, all with a link to what appears, based on the link, to be a housekeeping service in California.

Just a thought.  How about EDITING the offending links?  Point the links to...'sites of your own selection.

P.S.  Might trim some .sigs too.  There are a couple that seemed...vacuous.  Both have .sigs pointing to 'sites other than personal 'blogs or social networking 'sites.  That last is somewhat...problematic, as there is at least one .sig in one of those threads that DOES contain personal links.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:36:21 pm by Sean Roach »

Rocketman on March 12, 2010, 10:08:53 am
New one Scott.  Samtha in "Helio's New Look" in the Odyssseus the Rebel.  Zap him!

wdg3rd on March 13, 2010, 02:47:57 pm
Now ponting (person or robot mox nix) seems to have discovered La Muse.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Scott on March 13, 2010, 11:49:27 pm
I just banned ponting and deleted all its posts.

wdg3rd on March 14, 2010, 01:44:11 am
I just banned ponting and deleted all its posts.

Finest kind.  May the originator steam in what rises from Hell's grills he's strapped to for the rest of eternity.

I wish I could get up to the New Hampshire Liberty Forum, but as usual shit happens -- so I haven't been to one yet (the first one was about ten blocks from my Mom's apartment).  I concentrate on Porcfest (which I can't usually afford either even when I show up), to show off my chili.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Sean Roach on March 16, 2010, 11:01:31 pm
Another one.  .sig spam.

weelee02
2 posts so far, both in Odysseus.
Both are two short sentances, and contain nothing but a supposed complement and followup thank you, both without context, and suspicious of nature, (what is a share in this context?).
Both have a BROKEN link in the .sig to a commercial 'site.

Okay, I have erased all my posts in this thread that pointed out spammers as their primary reason for being.

The following are, in my opinion, spammers.  Some of them have been there awhile.  Most of those that have been there awhile have links in the .sig to non-germane commercial 'sites.  One has a broken link in the body.

Some make comments, but for the most part, the comments are shallow, giving no evidence of any actual consideration beyond, (ah, a message board, paste in the "good thread" message.)

ThifyTuh73
hazephase
Farmville
cheilitis
weelee02
shadryne
stekys
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:15:38 pm by Sean Roach »

Sean Roach on March 23, 2010, 01:02:13 pm
Another spammer in Odysseus.
Username Silver
It's .sig tag spam.
Actually, on this one, it's arguably very germane to the general subject, as it's a link for precious metals investing.  Haven't checked the link to see if they ship, or just warehouse.

Rocketman on April 03, 2010, 08:34:45 am
Scott:  New one.  John356 in Talk amongst y'selves.  He's selling neckties.

Frank Bieser on April 14, 2010, 12:35:10 am
Scott:  New one.  John356 in Talk amongst y'selves.  He's selling neckties.

Got 'em.  He's banned.

Sean Roach on May 21, 2010, 08:50:44 pm
New one in TPB.  Rattled off something about a DVD problem with the link at the bottom.

Sean Roach on June 13, 2010, 12:41:42 am
New spammer
ff123
Two posts, both more or less a load of incomprehensible sales pitches and links.
Both in Talk Amongst Yourselves...so far.

Edit.  Too bad you can't turn off links until a person has 50 posts under their name.