NotDebonair on December 04, 2009, 01:24:08 am
We know that whatever supplies the artificial gravity is not electrical in nature, and that men tend to prefer long hair.  Now, if only someone can suggest why the Resplendent Quetzal has something close to a standard G in effect while loading, and why men who commonly wear vacc suits are not strongly inconvenienced by all the whiskers (I can see that the artist is; the way Phoebus' braids run into his collar doesn't look right), some enlightenment will come to me.

dough560 on December 04, 2009, 05:31:54 am
People adapt to conditions due to personal preference and desire.  Their culture will determine how they adapt.  Many time comfort and practicality have nothing to do with it.  As for gravity, its been too ling since I read the first book in the series this story is based on (Henry Martin).  Look there or in "Bridgette Martin", for your answer.

Scott on December 07, 2009, 11:20:25 pm
Actually, the ship normally experiences a fair bit less than a standard G -- more like a bit between 1/6 and 1/3 gee. Frantisek is a bit of a weakling, dissipated via his hedonistic lifestyle.

When in orbit, the gravity effect has to do with tidal force on a 2/3-mile long body. When under way, it has to do with the way the sector-field is tuned. We try to keep things reasonably consistent with both known physics and the fictional technologies we describe, but when you're doing the pirates-in-space bit sometimes ya gotta fudge a little. Work with us here.

dough560 on December 11, 2009, 03:50:08 am
Scott, when you say a 2/3 mile long body, are you talking about the ship and a counter-weight  connected by a cable, orbiting a center-point?  Or are you saying the ship is 2/3 of a mile long?  Or are you talking about an energy field being affected by a planet's gravity?

Scott on December 12, 2009, 03:35:54 pm
The ship is roughly 2/3 of a mile from crow's nest to the bottom point of the hull.

kanishk on February 13, 2010, 04:23:43 pm
People adapt to conditions due to personal preference and desire.  Their culture will determine how they adapt.
http://howtogrowtaller101.com/

wdg3rd on February 13, 2010, 08:45:12 pm
I will continue to change my conditions go my personal preference and desire, anybody wants to deal with me adapt to my conditions.  My "culture" can go piss up a rope.

By the way, there is a complete conflict in your message:

People adapt to conditions due to personal preference and desire.
This implies it's the individual's choice.  It may often be.

Their culture will determine how they adapt.
This implies that the individual is a slave to society.

I have a thermostat and a gun.  Guess what my choice is.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

dough560 on February 15, 2010, 03:59:32 am
Culture shapes how people think and respond to situations.  Some of us learn to think outside our cultural restraints.  Effecting change of the conditions and culture.

We all change our conditions.  As conditions change, so does the culture.  If people and cultures don't change and adapt to conditions; they will be replaced by those who do.

mwm on March 08, 2010, 01:37:34 am
Just wanted to say I appreciate the shout out to the classics. Even the noobs should know flux capacitor and maybe interocitor. The moebius coil and the manschenn drive - well, they reprinted the entire series recently (and I grabbed the ebook versions for a song and have since reread them all). But bopamagilvie? I haven't thought of that since I made one in college!

Sorry 'bout the thead hijacking, but I could only find a "post new poll" button, not a "new post" button.....

quadibloc on March 08, 2010, 07:19:01 am
Even the noobs should know flux capacitor and maybe interocitor.
Yes, I too remembered "This Island Earth" in addition to "Back to the Future"... and the chuckle was deepened because Escape from Terra is also paying homage to classic movies of late.

I hadn't heard of the others, but I thought I would look up "bopamagilvie". It turns out to have been the ancestor of Corbomite... just as Herman Wouk's "The Lomokome Papers" had a premise seen later in another Star Trek episode.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:27:58 am by quadibloc »