Rocketman on August 24, 2009, 10:54:22 am
Did Odysseus ever think that although Poseidon promised not to harm him, he can still extract revenge on his son and possibly wife?  Especially since at the end of the story he told the big guy off?  I have to say that now that the story is done, it seems to me that Odysseus is one of the least likeable "hero" characters I have ever read.  Yes, I know that there is only so much that you can do with a character that comes from 2,300 (or so) years ago but still....

jrl on August 24, 2009, 12:01:26 pm
Actually, I tend to think most literary heroes are whitewashed.

Odysseous in this version is one of the most realistic Men of Power I can think of.

The excercise of power is in and of itself a nasty thing and the corruption therefrom is all but inexcapable when you are a king. While Odysseus has in a very real sense minimized his use of power, he is none the less corrupted by it.

As for Penelope or Telemachus, The gods are still bound by Poseidon's oath to Odysseus: "Remember your father loves you." maintains the connection between Odysseus and Telemachus. Likewise for Pelelope: they parted on good terms, so Poseidon is still bound by his oath, because of Odysseus care for her.

You  could argue that by his oath to Odysseus, Poseidon has doomed his pantheon.

raoullefere on August 24, 2009, 07:31:11 pm
To me,  this tale mixes the personality of Odysseus with that of another character of the Illiad, Diomedes, who fights the gods directly, wounding Ares at one point and Aphrodite at another. If you read between the lines, Diomedes seems to be a man who loves (and causes) trouble; apparently, after the war he makes it home to Argos, where his wife has deposed him. (He's supposed to slink away, but I find that out of character; it's more likely he killed her and the whole lot of her lovers, then left in disgust) Diomedes then goes around the Mediterranean fighting battles and founding cities, apparently for the sheer hell of it. This ending, particularly, makes me think more of him and that seething orneriness you can see in his character than of Odysseus.

As far as dooming themselves, I think the Olympians did that by involving themselves on both sides of a war between two parties of their worshipers. It's one thing for this or that god to take one side because of a wrong, however petty, but another when god and worshiper are matched against one another, as they were at Troy. The byzantine conflicts between the gods themselves that take place on the plains of Illium are enough, in and of themselves, to shake the faith of any worshiper. The tale of Odysseus, as rendered here, is merely the natural fallout of that.

OffefArtesy on September 15, 2011, 07:23:27 am
So did samurai ever use sheilds? 

I dont remember ever seeing a historical drawing or a Shogun Total War Japanese unit with shields.  I know some of the forum members here are well informed with history.

Pformadisa on October 14, 2014, 10:56:19 pm
Excellent. I like you comment. It good to do that.

anything