Technomad on August 20, 2009, 03:29:54 pm
It looks to me like this story's going to go on into the territory that Tennyson wrote about in his poem---I disremember the name---about Odysseus getting bored with Ithaca once he'd finally made his way home.  I remember lines about "matched with an aged wife I mete unequal laws unto a savage race" and on like that.

Dante, in The Inferno, said that Odysseus went on another voyage, out into the Atlantic past the Pillars of Hercules, and came within sight of the mountain of Purgatory before God sank his ship.  Nikos Kazantakis also wrote The Odysssey, a Modern Sequel, where Odysseus went a-voyaging again and ended up (IIRC) in Antarctica.

SDGrant on August 21, 2009, 01:11:40 am
All those things, but mainly Dante, shy of God sinking his ship...

- Grant

Ike on August 21, 2009, 10:32:40 am
Yes, all that's missing are the lines:

"Old age hath yet its honor and its toil
Noble deeds may yet be done by men who strove with Gods.
This my purpose holds:
To sail beyond the sunset
And the baths of all the western stars
Until I die."

Ulysses.

Technomad on August 21, 2009, 11:28:42 pm
Now that I think on it, didn't Heinlein take the title of his last novel from that poem?

Ike on August 24, 2009, 02:36:31 pm
Ah ... not quite his last novel, as I recall.  To Sail Beyond the Sunset was Maureen's story, then came ... hmmm ... The Cat Who Walks Through Walls was his last, IIRC.  But, yes, it was quoted extensively in To Sail Beyond the Sunset.

wdg3rd on October 17, 2009, 08:08:01 pm
Ah ... not quite his last novel, as I recall.  To Sail Beyond the Sunset was Maureen's story, then came ... hmmm ... The Cat Who Walks Through Walls was his last, IIRC.  But, yes, it was quoted extensively in To Sail Beyond the Sunset.

To Sail Beyond the Sunset
(1987) was the last novel finished by Heinlein and published during his lifetime.  The Cat Who Walks Through Walls was two years earlier.  Postumously published was For Us, The Living: A Comedy of Customs, which was written before his first short story (and in my opinion could not have been published in the US or anywhere else in the English-speaking world in 1938).  There was also a novel, Variable Star,  finished by Spider Robinson from notes written in 1955.  I'm told it sucks and I'm a big fan of Spider's fiction as well.  Hasn't made my budget yet.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

anything