Lun-Sei on June 01, 2009, 07:42:39 am

So, in the ethereal realm of the gods, Poseidon is not made out of water......... and Helios no longer looks like some sort of american superhero!! I really like that! Helios is much better in this more human appearance, which is better suited for a greek deity.

I say if he's to appear again in that superhero form, when he's dwelling in the humans lands, he should at last appear as if it's an humanoid shape made out of fire (he didn't look like that in his superhero appearance).

Anyway, I really like this different look for the sun god has shown in these last pages.  ;D

Scott on June 06, 2009, 10:44:05 pm
That's not Helios. It's Apollo.

Rocketman on June 07, 2009, 12:09:15 pm
Scott:  May I respectively suggest that if changing a god's appearence from time to time in the story line confuses readers, you might want to establish just one look and stick with it.  I've been having the same problem as Lun-Sei.

sudoku-mark on December 21, 2009, 09:54:08 pm
wasn't apollo the one who hutled lightening bolts? or was that zuess, anywysa this was a unique discusion
a good break from playing sudoku.

Farmville on February 08, 2010, 10:26:26 pm
I agree that a character should have its own originality and should stick by that.  Otherwise the followers of those certain characters would get confused from time to time.   The fans should be able to identify with their favorite characters no matter how dynamic their character can be.

Farmville
<a href="http://cheatspulse.com/">Farmville</a>

Sean Roach on February 13, 2010, 09:42:17 pm
Maybe it's time to put up a robots.txt file to prevent any of this from being useful to the spammers.  Something to keep the engines from indexing it.
Blocking it would be troublesome.  They're spamming to existing threads, so preventing new accounts from posting new threads does nothing to them.
They're actually Saying Something.  There's a person behind the keyboard.  CAPTHA's would be useless.
They're probably operating out of countries like India or China, (not likely,) where it's cost effective to use human labor to create the spam, but I see no reason anyone here would want to limit the range of the message of BHP to deny them the opportunity.  (Why preach if you're not going to preach where it's needed.)

A few thoughts.
Digg style rating, especially if it applied to all a persons posts, not just the current one.  Technical, and probably more work than it's worth.
Auto-lock old threads to prevent them from being zombied.  Possibly allow established members to do so anyway, but put a restriction on it.  No one with an account less than 1 month old, or less than 50 posts, able to revive an inactive thread, for instance.

wdg3rd on February 14, 2010, 03:25:14 am
Sean, robots.txt only works with polite web crawlers.  Sort of by definition, spammers don't bother with polite web crawlers.

Sometimes I consider going back to "UseNet 2", and yes, that means land lines, Unix boxen and store-and-forward, just like in the goodle daze.  And any asshole who gives out a phone number or password into the system shall be shot down like the dog ashamed to whelp him.  (I am old OLD TIME Unix geek -- root=Ghod).

Just a fantasy, of course.  Our future is spam-infested.  What the hell, email is the only way to communicate.  My dick isn't big enough and it doesn't stay hard nearly as long as She would prefer.  I read that somewhere, and I don't think it was in Her diary (considering She doesn't keep one).  (Yes, I'm married -- what was your first clue?)
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Sean Roach on February 14, 2010, 07:25:01 am
My thought was more along the lines of preventing any spam here being of any use elsewhere.
I know Google USED to base pagerank on how many links a 'site had leading in.  I understand they did some revision because spammers were flooding links into unrelated 'sites.  I don't know why these jerks are doing this, as this audience is both small, and unlikely to be interested in the services/goods they're peddling.  This leads me to remember the old pagerank schemes.  Robots.txt wouldn't be for them.  It'd be for Google, Yahoo, and the others.

And now they're creating new threads to spam with.

I say it's time to sweep them up, flush them, and institute an invite-only to post in the regular threads policy.  This has worked okay for the Gingery group over on Yahoo.  You have to send an email to one of the admins to get in.
I'd prefer something like the rating system I've seen on other sites, (I thought it was digg, but evidently not,) where other users can thumb up/down a comment, and too many negative marks will "bury" it.  Used more to bury trolls, but should work for this.  I just fear it'd be too much work in setting up.  It'd still need policing to keep "silent partners" from upping the ratings on these things. 
A truly sophisticated system would allow multiple groups to be identified and kept separate.  If you NEVER agree with the "silent partners" of another, the aggregate scores of posts that you saw wouldn't take their marks into account.
Maybe someday.  Probably soon.

dough560 on February 15, 2010, 04:42:19 am
Yes spammers are a royal pain.  Comes with the territory.  Granted we're a small audience, but we're growing.

like any free market, their product will survive or not on it's merits.  A site with value will survive.   Those that don't promote a value, won't.  I submit this is one time where nothing should be done.  Those who like such products, already have a source.  Eventually they will fade away.

Sean Roach on February 17, 2010, 09:55:12 am
Can I sue for blatant plagiarism for commercial purposes?

Another one to ban and erase.

Edit.  the spam I was referencing has been erased.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:48:36 am by Sean Roach »

dough560 on February 18, 2010, 08:57:23 am
You can try.  It's a free market.

hazephase on March 01, 2010, 05:38:27 am
If they post good content , I don't think its a problem

shadryne on March 03, 2010, 01:45:17 am
This latest incarnation of Helios looks more real and apt for the story.  I hope they stick with this look for awhile.  I'm tired of seeing them look like modern superheroes.

wdg3rd on March 03, 2010, 06:10:06 pm
Shadryne, if you noticed the sidebar, the story has finished and has gone to press.  What you see here and now on the screen and in the printed book are all there is.  The two continuing stories here are "Phoebus Krumm", an adaptation of a yet-to-be-published novel (which will also end eventually) and "Escape from Terra", which is not scheduled to end, ever.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

stekys on March 03, 2010, 06:57:31 pm
:) Woah! Poseidon not made out of water. I enjoy reading the different comments here.
And yes, the thrill always comes in the end since it always aims for reactions. ‘Twas nevertheless great.
<a href="http://www.europrocleaningservice.com/">House Cleaning Orange County</a>

anything