dough560 on November 27, 2009, 06:43:02 am
Agreed, My wife speaks Spanish due to high school classes and I speak German due to nearly nine years of military service in that country.  When finances permit, we will get either Muzzy or Rosetta Stone systems to help us brush up and teach these languages.  The more flexible the kids are in thought, the easier it will be for them to adapt.  Language and Physical Skills are the best way I know to instill confidence and self assurance.  The local bullies already know it hurts when they try their normal activities.   Additionally my six year old is playing football with the boys, to my wife's consternation.  I've been told she's pretty hard on them, giving better than she gets.  I suspect she's doing a number on them and they're treating he like a girlie girl.  The dummies.

Rocketman on November 27, 2009, 10:44:08 am
Dough:  I recently came upon a website that I think might help you and your daughters with spanish called "Spanishdict.com"  They have FREE spanish lessons on it including flashcards, reviews and word of the day.  Since I just discovered it, I've only been on it twice and then just the first lesson so I can't comment on how well it works for anyone else, but I found what I've seen very helpful.  ;)

dough560 on November 27, 2009, 10:37:21 pm
Rocketman, thanks for the tip.  I predict my oldest will either jump in with both feet or roll her eyes and muter something about having something else to learn.  We try to disguise what they are learning as fun and games, but sometimes the cover wears thin.   Happens when the kids are smarter than their parents.

Rocketman on November 28, 2009, 01:29:24 pm
Just thinking here but what about having both of the girls learn and pair them off against each other to see who can accumulate the most points at SpanishDict in say over a month period?  The winner gets bragging rights the loser does the dishes for an extra week for example.  ;)

AnonymousOne on March 18, 2010, 02:14:55 am
I started shooting at ... 11 ... 12? 

So I now have over a decade of shooting experience.

First thing dad taught me:  This is a tool, not a toy.  Yes it can be fun, but God help you if you aren't careful.

I now train with my guns as often as money permits (which is not often enough!  :'()

I think it all comes down to parenting and raising kids to respecting things that can be dangerous as opposed to fearing things that can be dangerous.

As to Rocketman's statement on varying your skillset:
I speak rough German (was much better in HS/College)
Drive a stickshift (you'd be amazed how many people can't do this)
Rudimentary First Aid/Forestry/Navigation skills (thank god for Boy scouts)
Moderate shooting skills (I have a lot of room to improve)
etc.

But constantly pushing yourself for new skills is a key to learning.  Right now ... it's cars.  Learning how to work on/modify them is a challenge, but an exciting one, especially when you get "done" and realize .... Hmmmm yeah I could take a Porsche in this thing.
The Economist's Cookbook - Recipes For A More Free Society
http://economistscookbook.blogspot.com/

terry_freeman on March 21, 2010, 03:01:15 pm
My daughter, who is home schooling four children, started out with all sorts of plans for prodding her children to learn. After a while, she realized that it's much easier to let them do the driving; she's just a facilitator helping them to achieve what they want.

Does it work? Her oldest recently asked "how do I compute square roots of numbers like 72?", and I located a discussion of the old method of manually computing squares. I understand this is no longer taught in high schools; everyone uses calculators. My grandson is so quick with mental arithmetic that I must pre-compute any problems in order to keep up with him, and I'm not exactly operating at a snail's pace, myself. He is 7 years old, and enjoys negative numbers, binary arithmetic - he invented something which he called "double binary", which is base-4 arithmetic - cryptography, fractions, decimals, powers, roots -- in short, he's way ahead of just about any 2nd grader. The rest of her "un-schooled" children are also way ahead of the curve; it is more fair to say that they push my daughter than vice versa.

I showed my grandson how to add the numbers from 1 ... n -- the formula n(n+1)/2 is based upon adding pairs from opposite ends, and multiplying. This is usually covered in high school, if at all. I wanted to know how well he could generalize, so I asked him the sum of the even numbers from 2 to 100. He had the correct answer (2550) in a heartbeat.

dough560 on March 23, 2010, 07:37:06 am
My wife is the math geek in our family and you're right about what they don't teach in schools.  We're scratching our heads over how they teach math and other subjects.  We're about ready to pull the kids and start home schooling.  Seems the math my wife and I know is not what they are teaching the kids.  Some kind of new math instead.

We try to keep what we're teaching as much fun as possible.

I was 12 when stated shooting trap with a 12 gauge. Like you I was taught guns are tools and they have to be respected and handled within their limits. When we were much younger, my dad did what today is called gun proofing.  He set up anti-freeze tins filled with water and shot them with a handgun, rifle and shotgun.  He then held and aimed the guns while we pulled the triggers.  I have never forgotten that day and what happened to those tins when I shot them.  I'm in my 50's now.  I did the same thing with my kids before I started teaching them to shoot, only with plastic jugs of water.  According to family history, four generations now, and no accidents.  My girls are now 7 & 9.

With the cost of ammunition as high as it is, reloading is the way to go.  Even cheaper is a .22 companion to your center fire arms.  Right now I'm researching a .22 conversion unit for my Para P13.  When I practice, I begin and end each pistol and rifle practice session with a 22.  With a shotgun,  I  begin and end each shotgun session with the .410.  Across the board, less recoil and muzzle blast and it's easier to work on technique.  A friend of mine has a .22 top end for his AR15 he uses at 100 yards with reduced targets to practice for the National Match Course.  I reload the .410 with .5 oz loads and the 12 gauge with 7/8 oz loads to keep the costs down. 

There are a lot of good shooting training DVD's on the market today.  Ayoob's books: StressFire and Hit the White Part are excellent training manuals.  The Army Marksmanship Manual is also worth the trouble. 

Rocketman on March 23, 2010, 01:30:28 pm
While I haven't had the time to investigate all the stuff I have noted that Youtube has a whole lot of instruction in different areas including mathmatics, gun disassembly, chemistry and so on.   For example there is a series of videos from "Professor Jason" who is a language instructior at a community college teaching Spanish and Portuguese.  Anyone who wants to learn about a subject that they don't know much about might want to check it out and see if they have lesson availible there.

terry_freeman on March 23, 2010, 05:20:25 pm
I encourage everyone to home school. Not only will your children learn a lot more material a lot more efficiently, they'll also avoid the major dose of that "the government solves all problems; freedom is the problem" poison which is built into every government school.  The setting itself teaches dependence upon the government.

dough560 on March 24, 2010, 09:46:43 am
I've noticed the mindset.  We're running into the problem where the kids are not being challenged in school and are beginning to resist additional schooling at home because the "school" does not require it.  In short, they are being encouraged to be lazy.

terry_freeman on March 24, 2010, 11:02:19 am
The fastest-rising uptake of home schooling is among black families. I suspect they're tired of the "don't act white" bias of schools. It isn't just a black problem; I am a white boy who went to a Catholic high school which, at the time, was probably 99% white, and I remember a group of my classmates telling me to stop answering so quickly, it made them look bad. Silly me, I was interested in actually learning the material, not in my class standing. 
'
I got smart later on -- when teachers would offer several contradictory, confusing "explanations", I would meekly ask if I understood the material to mean <insert clear, concise, and correct explanation>. The teacher would agree, the class would jot down my summary, and we'd move on.

Rocketman on March 24, 2010, 12:58:41 pm
Maybe if the real American's in this country can get our GOD given right to keep and bear arms restored to what the founding fathers intended then perhaps the next target should be the abolishment of state run schools of any kind.  Something to shoot for (pardon the pun).

dough560 on March 25, 2010, 06:04:36 am
Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition.

One thing we're frustrated with, is the kids do not have textbooks and are working from workbook handouts.  We see part of the subject, but not everything we need to help them learn.  We don't even get to see the entire workbook, just a page or two at a time.  Often they are answering questions, based on a story or problem covered in class.  We do not have all the needed information.

Rocketman on March 25, 2010, 10:16:10 am
Dough:  That seems EXTREMELY SUSPICIOUS to me.  They don't have textbooks and they have to use homework handouts?  Maybe it's because the school system is broke or MAYBE it's because what is in the textbooks is not left wing enough for the school administrators.  I would be very closely looking at what was on those handouts and if you find what I think your going to find then I would go to the next schoolboard meeting and raising some rightous HELL!

Sean Roach on March 25, 2010, 07:49:10 pm
Rocketman,
Keep in mind, the opposite may also be true.

The teacher may be teaching from "alternate" texts, because he doesn't care for what the state adopted.  In Oklahoma, the teachers vote on textbooks, and the state adopts the winners.  Schools get the adopted books with half covered through the state, (and thus not counted against that schools budget.)  If a school, or teacher, HAS to have a different book, the school pays the full cost from their own budget.  I took High School Biology, and used a college level text because my teacher didn't care for the adopted offerings.

The textbook may also be too liberal for the teacher, and he or she has decided to hit the real history in between the covers, and gloss over all the self-hate portions.

It could be the teacher has become disenchanted with students losing workbooks, and has decided not to release them, because he or she would have to replace the same workbook more than once for certain students.

It's also possible the textbook was adopted or last revised before GWB decided to meddle, and the teacher is teaching to the test, which the book doesn't make easy.

Just other, mostly less pessimistic, possibilities for the same visual result.