Monkt on October 08, 2008, 12:57:24 pm
I'm curious about what musical tastes would be like in the world of The Probability Broach. Without anything really to rebel against would rock and roll music come into existence? Without poverty would Rap music ever exist? What would be popular music in 117+ A.L.

H. Rearden on October 08, 2008, 07:10:42 pm

Haley's Fifth Concerto. ;D

KBCraig on October 08, 2008, 08:52:49 pm
Without poverty would Rap music ever exist?

I doubt it would exist without government-subsidized pseudo-poverty, where entire neighborhoods are paid to sit around and come up with ways to relieve their boredom.

Rocketman on October 09, 2008, 10:27:38 am
Maybe their tastes would run not to large orchestras but to more individual performance pieces by individual musicians or very small groups.  That would suit their individuality streaks. 

Scott on October 09, 2008, 01:21:06 pm
With the NAC being the highly cosmopolitan entity it is, I would expect to see a wide variety of musical forms developing out of the original folk music styles brought by immigrants. A lot of mixing and mashing, with probably some styles from the Native American cultures that had otherwise been destroyed in our own time-line.

Leviathan on October 09, 2008, 06:40:53 pm
And without copyright enforcing the distribution channel oligopoly/ies, things would spin off in entirely different directions likely.  Imagine a Napster that never got pwned by the RIAA?  Distributing the media over the Com?  Most bands consider their studio contracts to be free advertising for their other performance venues.  So imagine them putting up a node on a peer-to-peer filesharing and simply putting out their concert dates?  Without anybody having the ability to say, "You know, this sounds interesting, but I don't think anybody would want to buy it." 

Also think of the sounds from Firefly?  Without immigration law, people from across the planet would be mixing and matching in the NAC.

Monkt on October 09, 2008, 09:41:01 pm
And without copyright enforcing the distribution channel oligopoly/ies, things would spin off in entirely different directions likely.  Imagine a Napster that never got pwned by the RIAA?  Distributing the media over the Com?  Most bands consider their studio contracts to be free advertising for their other performance venues.  So imagine them putting up a node on a peer-to-peer filesharing and simply putting out their concert dates?  Without anybody having the ability to say, "You know, this sounds interesting, but I don't think anybody would want to buy it." 

Also think of the sounds from Firefly?  Without immigration law, people from across the planet would be mixing and matching in the NAC.
In addition to that, imagine what music cetaceans and great apes would bring to the the world.

wdg3rd on October 10, 2008, 12:39:53 am

In addition to that, imagine what music cetaceans and great apes would bring to the the world.

I've read that chimpanzees are good drummers, but I haven't actually heard any of their work.  I have heard whalesongs, and I'm sorry to say they have even less rhythm than us white folk.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@comcast.net        http://home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd/

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Leviathan on October 10, 2008, 12:48:17 am
I think I can imagine that.  Look up Ryoji Ikeda - Time and Space.  I'm one of the few adults that can hear all the sound frequencies.  Though it gives me something of a headache to listen to it.  The album seems to be an experiment in making music designed to be listened to by that which isn't human, heh.  Either my soundcard or speakers or both cease producing accurate tones before my hearing range gives out, though, so I might not be getting the full experience from my system.

Though I tend to dismiss cultural contributions by cetaceans as most of the real world data seems to indicate they have real intelligence consistent with their niche.  Basically aquatic wolves and bears.  Though given that I can hear some of those more traditionally canine ranges, and still don't enjoy listening to it for an hour or more, probably says even in the TPB universe cetacean tastes are unlikely to be popular among humans and vice versa, heh.

Oh, and it helps to think of humpback whalesong as that mewling you hear when one of the neighborhood cats is in heat?  Roughly equivalent behaviors.  If there's a cetacean culture IRL, it hasn't got any of those same characteristics we'd appreciate as such.

Sean Roach on October 12, 2008, 05:53:18 pm
Two things.
One, in this story, the cetaceans are intelligent, and superior to humans in the sciences.
Two, with that in mind, I suspect a song that a cetacean collaborated on would conceal a rather large physics "in-joke".

I've read that chimpanzees are good drummers, but I haven't actually heard any of their work.  I have heard whalesongs, and I'm sorry to say they have even less rhythm than us white folk.

South West Ranger on December 13, 2012, 07:06:51 pm
My Guess is that several Groups like THE RUNAWAYS (Cherie Currie, Lita Ford, Joan Jett) avoid the pitfalls in our Timeline and become more sucessful ...

THE BEATLES probably don't exist and John, Paul George, and Ringo found their own solo ways to go or......

Pete Best was allowed to remained with the group and because of his input they never broke up !

wdg3rd on December 23, 2012, 08:09:51 pm
My Guess is that several Groups like THE RUNAWAYS (Cherie Currie, Lita Ford, Joan Jett) avoid the pitfalls in our Timeline and become more sucessful ...

I thought that I was the only one (aside from the makers of that crappy movie) who remembered the group.  A guilty pleasure during my enlisted days.

THE BEATLES probably don't exist and John, Paul George, and Ringo found their own solo ways to go or......

Pete Best was allowed to remained with the group and because of his input they never broke up !

All solo, no start.  Lennon and McCartney as a team (fuck their politics) were dynamite songwriters whoever did the pounding.  Solo, Lennon was OK, McCartney barely adequate, just better than 98% of the rest.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@comcast.net        http://home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd/

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

anything