Rocketman on September 18, 2008, 04:29:04 am
Today's page (Sept 18) brings up an interesting question.  What do the police and courts do when time travel becomes a reality?  If the statute of limitations no longer is relevant because if person could move into another time period they would effective serve no punishment because the statute of limitations ran out on the crime that they committed?  Could be the basis of an interesting sci-fi story don't you think?  ;D

H. Rearden on September 18, 2008, 06:27:01 pm
Didn't you see the movie Time Cop? ;D In the Star Trek serieses there are Timperal Police. There was an episode of DS9 in which some of the characters traveled back in time to the the tribbles episode in the original series.

Rocketman on September 19, 2008, 12:40:38 pm
I did see Time Cop and I have seen every Star Trek episode and movie ever made.  I've been a Star Trek fan since Chris Pike was in command of the Enterprise.  What I said was in reference to the legal aspects of how government would deal with the statute of limitations being meaningless.  Time Cop wasn't about that other than "He's the bad guy so let's kill him in any time period that he's currently in."

H. Rearden on September 19, 2008, 06:34:38 pm
I did see Time Cop and I have seen every Star Trek episode and movie ever made.  I've been a Star Trek fan since Chris Pike was in command of the Enterprise.  What I said was in reference to the legal aspects of how government would deal with the statute of limitations being meaningless.  Time Cop wasn't about that other than "He's the bad guy so let's kill him in any time period that he's currently in."

Archer was in command of the Enterprise before Pike was born. ;D

enemyofthestate on September 20, 2008, 02:08:54 am
Extradition?

Law already provides for extradition across space so why not time too.

Leviathan on September 20, 2008, 06:10:14 am
<geek> You know, the original pilot for Star Trek never really got aired until that one ep where they bring a disabled pike to the planet, and get in trouble, and use clips from the original pilot.  So technically, you could say you've been a fan since they had the original set but not since pike was the captain </geek>

Rocketman on September 20, 2008, 06:36:01 pm
H. Rearden:  In the Star Trek (Original Series) with Kirk, Spock and all the others, Gene Roddenberry wanted the Enterprise to have "some history" behind it as he put it.  NCC-1701 was supposedly built around 2245 and the  first captain was named Robert April, and the second captain was Christopher Pike.  James Kirk was the third.  The original pilot for NBC was going to have Pike's adventures but there were changes made and when the show was finally on it had a new captain and other changes some minor and some not.  Lloyd Bridges of Sea Hunt fame was asked to read for the part and he declined saying that he wasn't interested in "Science Fiction" so they chose an unknown actor who had done a lot of sci-fi, William Shatner.  Anyway Jeffery Hunter aka Captain Christopher Pike appeared on either the first or at least one of the first episodes called "Menagerie" which was filmed as the original pilot and then cut it up and built another story of Spock's courtmartial around it.  I was about 15 at the time and remember seeing it.  So like I said before I remember when Christopher Pike was in command of the Enterprise.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 06:39:06 pm by Rocketman »

H. Rearden on September 21, 2008, 08:01:32 am
H. Rearden:  In the Star Trek (Original Series) with Kirk, Spock and all the others, Gene Roddenberry wanted the Enterprise to have "some history" behind it as he put it.  NCC-1701 was supposedly built around 2245 and the  first captain was named Robert April, and the second captain was Christopher Pike.  James Kirk was the third.  The original pilot for NBC was going to have Pike's adventures but there were changes made and when the show was finally on it had a new captain and other changes some minor and some not.  Lloyd Bridges of Sea Hunt fame was asked to read for the part and he declined saying that he wasn't interested in "Science Fiction" so they chose an unknown actor who had done a lot of sci-fi, William Shatner.  Anyway Jeffery Hunter aka Captain Christopher Pike appeared on either the first or at least one of the first episodes called "Menagerie" which was filmed as the original pilot and then cut it up and built another story of Spock's courtmartial around it.  I was about 15 at the time and remember seeing it.  So like I said before I remember when Christopher Pike was in command of the Enterprise.  ;D

THe Enterprise series was set prior to Pike. Archer was the captain of the first Enterprise. ;D

Rocketman on September 21, 2008, 10:18:58 am
I know that.  But Star Trek the original series was on television in the late 1960's.  Archer's Enterprise was on television in the early 2000's.  Thats an approximately 35 years difference and we were speaking about my recollations and not the chronologically dating of the various starships named Enterprise.  You would have been correct if we were talking about the latter but we're not.

H. Rearden on September 21, 2008, 08:26:43 pm
I know that.  But Star Trek the original series was on television in the late 1960's.  Archer's Enterprise was on television in the early 2000's.  Thats an approximately 35 years difference and we were speaking about my recollations and not the chronologically dating of the various starships named Enterprise.  You would have been correct if we were talking about the latter but we're not.

Ok, are you a serious trekie? ;D THe Enterprise serious didn't necessarily follow the chronology. In the original Star Trek serious there was an episode in which Star Fleet first encountered the Klingons but in the Enterprise seriies they encountered Klingons and thus Star Fleet would have known about Klingons prior to Kirk becomming the captain of the Enterprise. ;) In TNG series there was an episode in which ther was a person from a planet that has no state(s) and that person was a hideous looking creature. What is your opinion of an anarchist on a Star Trek series being depicted as a hideous looking creature? Alsoi, are you also a fan of Fire Fly? I have every episode of fire Fly on dvd.
                                                               $
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:32:29 pm by H. Rearden »